Fell over - now no display ?

Eband

Como 3.0 @ 3 yrs old - kept clean-indoor kept - always workd perfect, has fallen/blown over couple times while parked with minor scuffing. Just bumped into in garage on charge and knocked over and now Display is dead as well as any of its' controls. Battery lights up winks front light and is fully charged but no display/controls. Put a new batty in display and no change.

.. . any helpful info appreciated - anecdotes not so much ...

... this is the bikes' display type from a picture taken last year:

hav efun

Como 3.0 @ 3 yrs old - kept clean-indoor kept - always workd perfect, has fallen/blown over couple times while parked with minor scuffing. Just bumped into in garage on charge and knocked over and now Display is dead as well as any of its' controls. Battery lights up winks front light and is fully charged but no display/controls. Put a new batty in display and no change.

.. . any helpful info appreciated - anecdotes not so much ...

... this is the bikes' display type from a picture taken last year:

hav efun
Sorry to hear about your misfortune. You need to visit a Specialized LBS and order a new TCD-w display (1st Gen) and ask them to install it. Vados and Comos require an operable display to work!

I can only find pictures of Como TCD display . The pics show a connector to harness.

Looking for pics or vids of REPLACING the TCD display. Specifically where TCD connector is located and how to access the connector to check i.

thanks

171649_Specialized_MY20_ComoVado_TCD-W_Wired_Display_With_Remote__57723.1617991222_1800x1800.jpg

Does that display slide off for security? Son crashed my Haibike emtb with Bosch. It sheared off 2 pieces of plastic that held the Intuvia display in touch with the contacts. Two zip ties around the display held it down tightly enough so I could ride until the new display arrived.

... Also I did find the COMO TCD display supposedly available from a few vendors and Specialized website for @ $100 US.

Anyone know ACTUAL availability or have purchased one .

thanks agin'

I did find connector for TCD display behind the batty lock mechanism. The connector was wedged into passage in fork tube and harness wire and its connector half was stretched tight and somewhat crushed from fork tube wedging but did not look internally damaged upon first inspection.

If I can obtain the display as previous post mentions, replacing the Display is simple enough and would be simplest determination of TCD's viability vs any further problem.

some pics of accessing the Display connector will follow...

thanks still

... Also I did find the COMO TCD display supposedly available from a few vendors and Specialized website for @ $100 US.

Anyone know ACTUAL availability or have purchased one .

thanks agin'

TCD is not TCD-w. Did you find the TCD-w?

had a discussion with Specialized 'support' which was somewhat helpful towards understanding a few things about the Como, and adding a few questions...

Spec Support told me the simple secret explanation that the TCD display actually sold on Specialized website is the TCD not "W" - it is the wireless version which is widely available from multiple vendors.

. Spec Support told me Specialized "DOESN"T RECCOMEND" the one they will sell me ( the wireless TCD version), but will not sell me the correct TCD-W..Only available from LBS Specialized dealers installed. Since Bike is off warranty coverage anyway, the dealer/mfg is not libel/liable for anything I would do so 1- does it make sense. ?

I disassembled the fairings and inspected all the wiring harness and found no faults..., further inspection of TCD display revealed minor scuffing on top of TCD case where it hit side of my old car on way down.

Spec reps' helpful explanation of operating logic scheme had me swap batty from our other Como with no change, verifying to some extent problem in TCD.

I dismembered the TCD and found problem

more to follow

The TCD-W has the wiring to chassis and handlebar multi-switch pass through a connector on rear top of the TCD's plastic case.

The connector is held in place with the four small philips' screws visible. The internal side has Eight (8) contact pads on a circuit board secured with Two (2) tiny P' screws. The contacts are arranged with Four (4) on each side of the board. There is a two banded sealing surface on the external circumference.

The TCD internally has two rows of spring loaded floating contacts to mate with the wiring connector's Eight (8) pads upon insertion.

... when the Como fell over, the external wiring at top rear of the TCD hit the car door and distorted the screw in connector enough to bend down the internal spring loaded contact pins on one side. When battery power button was pressed, the light winked and battery indicated charged but absolutely no motor. Even tried holding + button on multi-switch for 'WALK" mode but NG.

.. with some background in electronic controls, dental tools, and a 10X view scope I carefully "FORMED" ( bent !) the TCD's four bent pins somewhat back to their intended positioning. Put all back together and tried turning on but still didn't work.

... convinced the connector was the issue, revisited connector and removed circuit board two tiny screws and added spacer under pad board to move it toward TCD's pins. (3 layers duct tape added @ 1'32")

... . put all back together -fired up batty switch and sure enough TCD-W Display and Controls and bike works as it should!.

... been talking about it with the LBS who is being very helpful relating what seems to be the bikes' Achilles Heel.

bike hit the door of the '63 left a skidmark.

have fun

I'm so glad you have solved the issue yourself Eband!
what seems to be the bikes' Achilles Heel.
It is not. I rode my Vado 5.0 for 35 months, of which 28 months with the TCD-w (the wired display found on Vados and Comos 2020-2021). I survived numerous crashes, and none of them has affected the display. You were just very unlucky...

FYI: There are special parts such the TCD-w that you can only get from the authorized Specialized LBS, and the LBS is expected to do the repair. If this is post-warranty, you pay for the parts and labour. Even if it were within the warranty, it is you who crashed your display, so you would have to pay for it yourself. Just saying, for better understanding!

Back