Electric Scooter

Jim1348

My wife and I already have e-bikes. She might be interested in getting an electric scooter, too.

Where are some great places to start researching these, in case I do agree to purchase one of those?

I have had a couple of scooters. One was a Sharper Image CityBug that I resurrected from a junk heap at the side of the highway. I put a 36v battery and a brushed rear hub motor on it. The tire is solid. It worked well to go around the block. Though, with a solid tire, I felt each bump. I had to make sure my tongue was tucked away from my teeth. Solid tires are very jarRing. I highly recommend to stay away from tires like that. Now, there are solid tires that have, horizontal, holes in them that is supposed to help, but I’ve never tried them. A single motor was giving me trouble going up hill.

69811548657__65C4CF01-195E-4441-A80F-5DE27528440A.jpeg

Now I have an Apollo Pro (2019). It has 52v battery, dual motors, dual suspension, and pneumatic tires. That rides like a dream. I love it. I live in a hilly area and this scooter has no issue going up hill. The scooter can do almost 40MPH, but I ride in ECO mode. That caps the speed to 15mph. I even go up hill at 14mph. For me, that is as fast as I’d like to go on such small tires.

IMG_3355.jpeg

For reference, the Apollo is about 80lbs and I’m 160lbs. The hill I’m talking about is short and starts at about 6% and quickly increases to 12%. If you have hills in your travels, I highly recommend dual motors.

Back