Electric Bike Primer Ideas...

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Hi guys! I'd like to shoot some "primer" videos for those who are new to electric bikes and am looking for input and suggestions on what the topics should be. The plan would be < 10 minute videos, focused and specific, some newbie stuff and some advanced with original footage and maybe some interviews.

A couple years back I shot this "What is an Electric Bike" video and more recently this "How to Ride a Bicycle" which seemed to really help people. The new primers will have better imagery and audio and I want them to really offer value... I wrote a basic intro to ebikes book a while back and made it free on Kindle. I might consider making it into a video series as well with chapters as topics.

Please share your thoughts on topics and what you think the content should be (like ideas on content for the topics or answers to common questions). Thank you!

Commonly used terms on bikes.. you might laugh... but headstock, down tube, what each section of the frame is called.. I'll be honest I have trouble describing some parts..

The difference between Derailleur, CVT, in gear hub.. and again the acronyms.. and how they work with mid drives.. the pros and cons of each type

something on Batteries.., engine controllers, different types of imput, PAS V throttle V torque sensor V Mobile phone doing everything.

Commonly used terms not of the bike itself, but of the industry IBD (independent bike dealer I think).

pros and cons of different materials Aluminium V Steel frames, different rim materials

Pros and cons of different drive types.. direct v gear v mid..

other bike accessories .. lights, (front , rear and side or rim mounted) water bottles, racks, different types of pedals... new accessories..

Clothing and helmets. winter performance.. water / snow proofing

just on your bike reviews, I appreciate that you do this out of the goodness of your heart (and I thank you). I have no right to criticise... perhaps think of this as an observation.. again I am aware that you don't have the bikes forever so what I'm asking is probably difficult or impossible. and it has been covered to some extent on another thread. .. but..

a standard test course.. so we can compare the performance of one bike v another on a standard route.. (Gee the humdinger 1000 goes up heartbreak hill way better than the doodlebug did).. also good for testing and comparing range.. just on range.. two tests, one on throttle only, or PAS set to highest level.. one at your normal level ie pedaling with assist... a kind of miles to the Court to the ohm if you will..

Well, I've just destroyed your private life for the next couple of years.. my work here is done :)

Last edited:
Intent is one thing you should address. Most newbies, such as myself struggle with geometry, suspension, and materials as it relates to the type of riding the consumer will be doing. I also struggle as to what the specific differences are between mountain bike gearsets and road bike gearsets. As an example, I have a Neo Carbon road bike but yet it contains a mountain bike gearset.

1. Obviously, the basic types should be differentiated as an introduction. SVG Diagrams for most of the bicycle parts listed in wiki. It would be good publicity to contribute to wiki commons. You can claim the largest eBike image library in wiki.
  2. What is the significance of and how you reach overall rating.
  3. Explain in terms of weakest link in system -- battery. How does battery affect overall design and tradeoffs. Some bikes are very similar. Battery is main initial differtiating factor.
  4. How to conceptualize different components as benefits. Comparing component features is tedious, time-consuming and may be uninformative.
  5. How to replicate the analysis process you apply to bikes. You may have not had a chance to review the bike of interest to the reader.
  6. How to read between the lines, or interpret the data. In other words, the additional content you provide in your written reviews that fill in the implied message.
  7. How to deal with info black holes. The manufacturer may not provide desired data. The closest review may be seriously outdated, just in 1-2 years.
  8. how to use the search tool to find a bike suited to my specific needs. What is implied when the meaning is not obvious or subtle.
  9. A site software feature to accompany the video. I would appreciate is being able to have a private conversation with the owner of a particular bike type. For example, a database to lookup mountain or commuter type bike owners, who are willing to discuss their bike. The should be part of the search results.
After finding a candidate bike type, I want to ask people how their bike applies to my particular situation.

Last edited:
Hi guys! I'd like to shoot some "primer" videos for those who are new to electric bikes and am looking for input and suggestions on what the topics should be. The plan would be < 10 minute videos, focused and specific, some newbie stuff and some advanced with original footage and maybe some interviews.

A couple years back I shot this "What is an Electric Bike" video and more recently this "How to Ride a Bicycle" which seemed to really help people. The new primers will have better imagery and audio and I want them to really offer value... I wrote a basic intro to ebikes book a while back and made it free on Kindle. I might consider making it into a video series as well with chapters as topics.

Please share your thoughts on topics and what you think the content should be (like ideas on content for the topics or answers to common questions). Thank you!

I would like to know how MSRP retail pricing for new bikes work with relation to the actual selling price. What are the retail markups? Feedback from users regarding how they negotiated a discount from MSRP and how much it was.

I would like to know how MSRP retail pricing for new bikes work with relation to the actual selling price. What are the retail markups? Feedback from users regarding how they negotiated a discount from MSRP and how much it was.

Me too! Let me know what you find out Walt.

My experience at the one dedicated ebike shop that I went to was that they very quickly began discussing undefined discount... told me they would match "online prices"

The polite answer is that retail markup is none of your business. It is patently unethical to ask a dealer what he paid for his merchandise. The consumers responsibility is to comparison shop to obtain the best purchase price. It is also ok to ask the dealer for a discount. Dealers are within their province to say yes or no to your requests. That is the professional response. The consumer response is that I could care less how much or how little the dealer makes and am only concerned with getting a fair price by comparison to other similar purchases.

I obtain discounts simply by asking for them.

Another thought, a feature on safety, Hi visibility outfits, defensive riding techniques, any other ideas you might have to be seen and stay safe on the road, best ways to share the road with larger vehicles etc.. this was prompted by a post I saw on Storm owners group, its something that needs talking about and any information that can be shared on this subject should be.

Riding skills and road and trail etiquette. An ebike allows an inexperienced and unskilled rider to travel at speeds much faster than traffic normally expects. While changing a tire on the MUP, another rider in full training kit stopped to see if I needed anything. He noticed it was an ebike, I told him I use it as an alternative to driving part way to reduce the commute ride recovery time. He thought that was great application. He commented about seeing some throttle assist riders who don't pass walkers with enough space. To be fair I see a lot of bikes go through pedestrians much faster than they should. He also compared the hazzard of drivers not reacting correctly to a paceline that can be doing 30 MPH to an ebike rider anticipating poor driver decisions. I have to adjust my riding style on ebike days to account for crosswalks, right hooks, left hooks and driveways. Same day I encountered a throttle only biker riding like a bike messenger, on the sidewalk, cutting a corner through a parking lot, crossing the road, crossing back to the on-coming side and on the sidewalk (which is explicitly forbidden for ebike in our state) and otherwise totally unpredictable at a fast speed. Luckily I was behind him but if I was driving I would not know what he was going to do next.

Yep, bicycle riders are often their own worst enemies. Scaring pedestrians on the one hand and risking their lives in automobile traffic on the other.

You would think riders who appear to hate cars so much, would then have some mercy on pedestrians on a path.

"ON YOUR LEFT!!"

Flies by at high speed

(pedestrian jumps in the air and says to himself "wtf")

Last edited:
All of the above. I would like to see this site become even more informationally deep and wide. So that the viewers have even more reason to stick around and return again and again. Sort of like Slashdot is for the nerdic people. Court would probably need some help to accomplish this. The site is becoming increasingly popular due to Court's hard work and those of us who support this site by replying to the posts of newbies. Check out the the continuously improving Alexa ratings: http://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/www.electricbikereview.com Congratulations Court!

As a newbie myself, I would suggest -

1) What performance can I really expect from the battery?

When I looked at the e-bikes and they list a min of 25 and max of 35 miles, I'm expecting the bike to be able to do that - not do that if I'm only using 10% of the power (exaggeration) or something. I am now totally confused as to what to expect, and I went from being very enthusiastic about ebikes to very skeptical.

2) How practical e-bikes are for commuting?

I think the area where e-bikes can really expand is for people like myself who would like to escape the stress and traffic of cars, and replace it with an experience of exercise and leisure. But like a car, there are many things to consider, such as how often will I get a flat tire, and how hard is it to fix a flat? Or again, what kind of performance can I expect from the ebike - will I have to pedal just as hard as a regular bike, or is it easier pedaling than a regular bike?

Thanks for this whole site.

We have Stromer st1 Platinums. I do not get the best mileage, my wife always has more juice :( . I ride a lot almost 7 k last year, maybe a 1 k for her. If i leave mine in the highest power and pedal HARD I don't count on 20 miles per battery. If i set it on the lowest power and , use regen when ever possible , tuck low , etc. I can get 35 per battery, same area. In Fl we can get over 40 +, it is FLAT, min wind, both matter A LOT.

I am near 60, 6 ft tall, I weigh 220 not fit, don't pedal very efficient , etc...love to ride though!! We have 4 working 14.5 batteries, now all over a year old. I usually travel w/2 spares . I have broken 100 miles once, I can count on over 75 with the 3 of them , more most likely ( I cant ride all out that long!)
I have 2 bags on at all times (wind resistance), 99% paved bike trails

As I said I am not efficient , most do better.

Yes, "real-life ebike 101", with actual results and experiences, will be a great chapter to have in the primer.

As a newbie myself, I would suggest -

1) What performance can I really expect from the battery?

When I looked at the e-bikes and they list a min of 25 and max of 35 miles, I'm expecting the bike to be able to do that - not do that if I'm only using 10% of the power (exaggeration) or something. I am now totally confused as to what to expect, and I went from being very enthusiastic about ebikes to very skeptical.

2) How practical e-bikes are for commuting?

I think the area where e-bikes can really expand is for people like myself who would like to escape the stress and traffic of cars, and replace it with an experience of exercise and leisure. But like a car, there are many things to consider, such as how often will I get a flat tire, and how hard is it to fix a flat? Or again, what kind of performance can I expect from the ebike - will I have to pedal just as hard as a regular bike, or is it easier pedaling than a regular bike?

Thanks for this whole site.

At higher speeds, generally two miles per amp hour. At slower speeds I can approach 40+ miles on a my 36 Volt, 15 AH battery.

Court, I really appreciate EBR and all that you do. As a newbe to electric bikes and in the process of researching to buy a new ebike a "primer" would be most helpful. My primary concern is in finding the right fit, style, and specks that will work for me. Age 70, 5'9", 177 #s planing to ride on paved trails. Finding it very difficult to test ride many ebikes as I live in St Louis and the trend to ebikes is just starting to catch on here. So any help in zeroing in on the right bike would be most appreciated. Thanks.

NICE S
We have Stromer st1 Platinums. I do not get the best mileage, my wife always has more juice :( . I ride a lot almost 7 k last year, maybe a 1 k for her. If i leave mine in the highest power and pedal HARD I don't count on 20 miles per battery. If i set it on the lowest power and , use regen when ever possible , tuck low , etc. I can get 35 per battery, same area. In Fl we can get over 40 +, it is FLAT, min wind, both matter A LOT.

I am near 60, 6 ft tall, I weigh 220 not fit, don't pedal very efficient , etc...love to ride though!! We have 4 working 14.5 batteries, now all over a year old. I usually travel w/2 spares . I have broken 100 miles once, I can count on over 75 with the 3 of them , more most likely ( I cant ride all out that long!)
I have 2 bags on at all times (wind resistance), 99% paved bike trails

As I said I am not efficient , most do better.
Nice skinny and good detail.

I think you ought to include some brief mentions of accessories that you can easily and cheaply mount on an ebike, like bright headlights/taillights, front and rear racks, pannier bags, and trunk bags. Showing people who are new to ebikes that they can safely ride at night and also carry all their things with them (laptops, clothing, grocieries, shopping bags, etc) would go a long way to show people that ebikes can nearly fully replace their car when going on short trips (<10 miles). Though the above accessories are not unique to ebikes, I think it's still important enough to mention in your videos, because if you don't, then people might think that ebikes are just expensive toys and that they're not really useful for day-to-day trips.

Another thing to mention in the primer would be locking up your bike. Since ebikes are worth more than most road bikes, it's more appropriate to carry two quality u-locks to lock up an ebike to discourage theft, whereas with road bikes, one quality u-lock and a flex cable for the front wheel can often do the job.

Back