Elby S1?

PatriciaK

Region
USA
City
Pacific Northwest and Piedmont Triad
Looking for an inexpensive east coast second bike (my giant la free is on the west coast, I'm stuck on the east) to use at our second home here.

I had been trying to locate an Aventon Pace 350, but they're not shipping until July.

A fairly nearby (2+ hours away) Velofix outfit has offered me an Elby S1 9-speed - last year's model, used as a demo, with less than 20 miles on the odometer. Retails for $3000; they're offering it for $1400, will deliver it free and maintain it as needed.

I'm not at all familiar with this bike - does anyone have experience with or knowledge of it?

Will also post in the Elby forum, though it's pretty quiet over there.

Thanks!

I think the bike is pretty good. But the motor company BionX went bankrupt a couple of years ago. So if there was a problem with the electrics, parts might not be available.

I think the bike is pretty good. But the motor company BionX went bankrupt a couple of years ago. So if there was a problem with the electrics, parts might not be available.
Thanks! I'm just finding out about the BionX issue, and plan to ask the seller about repairs...

They were good bikes I love mine, parts are available but I would avoid them.
I don't understand - you love your bike, parts are available, and yet your recommending avoidance? What am I missing?

I don't know what parts they still have or how long they will have them. Parts are no longer being manufactured. That doesn't mean it's a bad bike.

It's also a DD bike, not everyone's cup of tea.

Yes, it's probably the best DD I've ever used on hills, I bought the bike for my wife but ended up using it more than she did.

Having said that, when it comes to hills it's not in the same league as some of my other bikes like my Bafang mid drives but I wouldn't expect it to be.

The Elby S1 9 speed is still available from Amego.

Last edited:
Looking for an inexpensive east coast second bike (my giant la free is on the west coast, I'm stuck on the east) to use at our second home here.

I had been trying to locate an Aventon Pace 350, but they're not shipping until July.

A fairly nearby (2+ hours away) Velofix outfit has offered me an Elby S1 9-speed - last year's model, used as a demo, with less than 20 miles on the odometer. Retails for $3000; they're offering it for $1400, will deliver it free and maintain it as needed.

I'm not at all familiar with this bike - does anyone have experience with or knowledge of it?

Will also post in the Elby forum, though it's pretty quiet over there.

Thanks!
Court did a review of the Elby City which might give you some background to assist in your decision making https://electricbikereview.com/elby/city-ebike/

If you have an Aventon dealer near you, they should have the 350's within the next couple of weeks, if they placed orders at the right time.
The nearest one is 4 hours away, and they're saying July, like the website :confused:.

I'm trying to stay around $1000, since this is my second bike

BTW, the reason I was looking at the Aventon was because it seems to be the best quality in my hoped-for price range - I wasn't actually looking for a Class 2. Just seemed like there were no Class 1 with comparable quality (including weight) at that price point. Maybe I'm wrong?

Ended up with the Elby idea when the Aventon wasn't available and a dealer offered that as an alternative - at what seems to be a great price.

Also, know nothing about hub drives except I didn't care for the feel of the ones I test rode. My "real" bike is a mid drive ;).

Back