EBike recommendations to accommodate city commuting with toddler

cmc2180

Would love a recommendation or insights for an electric assist (with throttle) bike that address the following:

1) Step Through Style
2) 15% grade for 0.5Mi
3) Accommodates a Thule Yepp Mini on the back
4) Prefer a standard size so that I can load it onto a bus if weather is inclement or I have a flat
5) Can accommodate panniers or a front basket (or both!) so I can stuff my backpack and the toddler's backpack
6) <$3K if possible

My round trip commute to/from work is 14mi, mostly down hill to work and then a consistent incline until the last 0.5Mi which is all up hill (15%). This last 0.5Mi is when I'll have 36lbs of dead weight (i.e. my toddler).

I've ruled out any bikes that have the battery on the back (bc of accessibility once the toddler seat is attached). Ones that I've considered are (these are the ones I can find in my city - I'm sure there are TONS else out there):

Tern GSD (it's amazing, but wow is it expensive)
Tern Vektron (love its nimbleness, but it's really an either/or for the back - child seat OR panniers)
Blix Aveny
Benno Boost
Gazelle Arroyo C8 HMB Elite

I love the mamachari's of Japan, but desperately need more gears than what I've seen imported.

Please let me know your thoughts and other bikes I should consider!

Most ebikes are too heavy to load on a bus. In my area bus rack's max is 50lbs, including accessories. Tough to get that weight if you need a bike that has any range. Also, you have to be very strong to lift that bike onto the rack (which I cannot do).

There are Japanese mamacharis with multiple speeds. Japan is super hilly. But, those bikes aren't imported here. (They also are just as heavy as ebikes here--too heavy to put on a bus.)

Have you tried riding any of the bikes you listed? I suggest test-riding and test-LIFTING!!! :D

I've ridden the Tern GSD, Vektron and the Gazelle. I can lift the Gazelle and the Vektron and was happy with both. GSD is doable if I had to (I tell myself "this is why I deadlift").

Any other bike brand suggestions? The only mid-range ($) option in my immediate city is the Blix, but I'm sure I'm missing something (e.g. don't any of the conventional brands Trek, Specialized, Marin, etc)?

I only know my own bike well... sorry I can't suggest many other brands to try. Do you want a step-through? An Electra could be great for toting kids because of the crank-forward design that allows both feet flat on the ground. Electra is owned by Trek. The Townies have the battery centrally located. I haven't tried them myself but saw them at my local bike shop. I needed a throttle to manage starts on hills (I live in a very hilly area), so that eliminated many options from consideration. I bought a Pedego Interceptor and have over 3700 miles on it. Not a fit for your budget, though, and heavier than you want, and has a rear-rack battery, which you also don't want. I don't know much about child seats with ebikes. My child-seat days were on a conventional bike!

Magnum Ui5 https://electricbikereview.com/magnum/ui5/ 51 lb
Magnum metro https://electricbikereview.com/magnum/metro-step-thru/ 58 lb
The geared hub motors should get you up a 15% hill. Mine will start me on a 15% hill at 330 lb gross weight.
13 AH batteries are between your legs, may need recharging every trip since that is a little light. Depends on how much you help the motor.
These are hub motors so you should be able to replace the front sprocket with a 3 speed from a donor mountain bike for 21 speeds.
You may have to weld or bolt something to the rear rack to allow both panniers & child seat.
My bodaboda left would be ideal, but it is too long to fit a bus rack. It is also pricy, with an add on motor 17 AH battery (lunacycle) panniers, double leg stand, bread basket, cost me $2820. See the yubabikes.com website. Bodaboda has frame bosses so the diaper bag or groceries fit in a fixed front rack. No swinging the load around when you are steering.
If internet ordering be sure to match your height & leg/arm length to the frame size. People forget about this basic measurement when they get wrapped up in all the technical features of an e-bike. The step through bodaboda is not for tall people.

Last edited:
Awesome! I’ll check out the Magnum and the bodaboda.

I saw a Cero cargo esque bike parked outside the gym today, and will have to research it.

Back