E-scooters for rent: Taking a beating

• Thread starter Deleted member 4210
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 4210

Some scooters are not even lasting 30 days. So not only are they being thrown in lakes, rivers, or your local dumpster (by vandals), it seems that they are having fairly short lives due to wear and tear.

https://www.businessinsider.com/sup...-the-cure-to-broken-scooters-interview-2019-1

Superpedestrian apparently has technology to monitor 100 points to help notify when issues occur. And launching their own model now.

Personally, I think their problem runs a lot deeper than this. Its not a vehicle use problem, but a business model problem. Shared or rented vehicles always take a lot of abuse, because people generally aren't apt to take care of something they don't own. With vehicles this small, it's easy to lift or throw or discard them however a user wishes. Their primary convenience advantage is if they are prolific (thousands scattered around every city), and cheap enough for users to rent so they don't need to own one and deal with the hassles of taking care of it, securely parking it, etc. Which brings to mind the next question : Does a society really need this level of convenience, and what happens to a society's health when they are no longer even walking ? It's fairly widely known the US already has an obesity problem, which leads to other serious health conditions like diabetes, heart disease, and more. Getting people out of their cars onto e-bikes and actually doing some exercise could certainly help. But with e-scooters, it seems this is getting people away from walking more than a few feet a day, between destinations that are far enough apart, that would be beneficial to their daily exercise regimen. (10,000 steps a day ? what happens to that ?) I keep being reminded of the movie Wall-E, and the people on the spaceship away from contaminated mother earth. None of them could walk, and well you know their size and shape. All essentially on 'micro-vehicles' carrying them everywhere.

Also, injuries related to these scooters have gone up significantly, as 96% of users are not using helmets.

https://arstechnica.com/science/201...aring-helmets-the-head-injury-rate-proves-it/

https://abc7ny.com/health/e-scooter...ders-not-wearing-helmets-study-finds/5107817/

This is a scary situation in more ways than one, as pedestrians not using scooters are becoming victims of the proliferation of these, and the higher rates of speed than walkers have. And they are all on the same sidewalks ?

I realize that e-bikes are hated by some, but bicycles and ebikes are a lot less prolific, and the riders who own them generally use greater care while riding and do get exercise. Since these e-scooters are not owned, and have very high numbers of them in cities where they do exist (that's their 'model' for 'convenience'), it appears this growth is on a collision course (no pun intended) with some real societal consequences. I have heard from people who live in cities where college campuses have already banned them, including one in Scottsdale. It'll be interesting to see how this all plays out, but I do hope that e-scooter renting issues doesn't result in more regulations on e-bikes and get lumped into one category of "all things 'e' are bad."

Some scooters are not even lasting 30 days. So not only are they being thrown in lakes, rivers, or your local dumpster (by vandals), it seems that they are having fairly short lives due to wear and tear.
It'll be interesting to see how this all plays out, but I do hope that e-scooter renting issues doesn't result in more regulations on e-bikes and get lumped into one category of "all things 'e' are bad."

Article in Denver Post today about this but didn't touch on regulation. Here we're got dockless scooters and dockless e-bikes as well as docked regular bikes; the article said a company is now coming out with dockless sit-down scooter.

I think this is mostly positive in a "Good, we've got to get away from gasoline" sense but lousy in an obesity sense; I've seen clusters of the scooters strewn around Planet Fitness. I shudder to think what a mess we'll have while ignorant politicians sort this all out

While traveling to Atlanta late last year, I rode several Lime e-scooters. They are an absolute blast and I think they are a great alternative to walking or biking. The limited data shows that they are reducing vehicle miles traveled so that's a positive, here's one survey that came up quick:

https://www.portlandoregon.gov/transportation/article/700917

The survey above wasn't perfect but there's just not alot of data out there so far. For me, the use of an e-scooter allowed me to forgo renting a car in Atlanta as I could take the MARTA and then an e-scooter to the hotel. Yes, I could have walked but the scooter was way more fun (and as a runner, I don't need the steps.)

We didn't ride them on sidewalks as traffic was pretty calm and there were several bike lanes.

If having e-scooters or shareable e-bikes gets people out of cars, then that's a benefit! Standing on a scooter is still better than sitting in a car!

I wonder then, if it would be more cost-effective for scooter rental companies to rent out larger, heavier scooters that are harder to abuse?

Regarding head injuries and helmet use: It was an interesting article, but as with so many articles meant for the general public, they don't do a good job of sorting out what the statistics mean.

Head injuries are correlated to low helmet use. There was not data provided that would justify "not using helmets causes more head injuries on electric scooters." But that's how it comes off. And then policy gets made on flimsy grounds.

It could be that the rate of head injury has to do with how these scooters are used, and it just happens that most riders don't wear helmets. This would be a reasonable conclusion on the data given.

There's plenty of data that suggests that bike helmets are not that good at preventing head injury overall, and that expectations of helmet wearing drive down the amount that such vehicles are used.

In other words, we've got a long ways to go before we understand this situation.

Apparently is it very rare for Japan to face the problem of vandalism.
I wonder what they're doing right to prevent it?

I think it's the ethic of 迷惑をかけないように (meiwaku o kakenai yoo ni) "don't cause others trouble". Of course this also goes along with the "golden rule" of being kind to others, but the avoidance of doing harm or causing trouble is also a very strong ethic. I think this might be related to the Indic concept of ahimsa, or not harming, but I'm not quite sure. Buddhism entered Japan from India via China and Korea, so ahimsa may be the source of the Japanese ethic of not causing others meiwaku, or trouble.

Japanese also have an ethic of avoiding shame, thus having good behavior in public. Children are admonished to behave well due to the concern of what others might think as well as the concern of avoiding causing others meiwaku.

As dense population is common throughout Japan (and even is common in rural villages, where farmers would live together in homes fairly close to one another in small villages and commute out to their fields), I think these ethics are highly valued among Japanese people so that they can live comfortably along side one another.

Apparently is it very rare for Japan to face the problem of vandalism.

I wonder what they're doing right to prevent it?

l_ky5622_zmp-01.jpg

p1.jpg

Not surprised that it's not a problem in Japan. Get a bunch of boisterous 20 something males in the US and let me know how that works out.

Possibly the idea of having your hands cut off is a deterrent.....

I think it's the ethic of 迷惑をかけないように (meiwaku o kakenai yoo ni) "don't cause others trouble". Of course this also goes along with the "golden rule" of being kind to others, but the avoidance of doing harm or causing trouble is also a very strong ethic. I think this might be related to the Indic concept of ahimsa, or not harming, but I'm not quite sure. Buddhism entered Japan from India via China and Korea, so ahimsa may be the source of the Japanese ethic of not causing others meiwaku, or trouble.

Japanese also have an ethic of avoiding shame, thus having good behavior in public. Children are admonished to behave well due to the concern of what others might think as well as the concern of avoiding causing others meiwaku.

As dense population is common throughout Japan (and even is common in rural villages, where farmers would live together in homes fairly close to one another in small villages and commute out to their fields), I think these ethics are highly valued among Japanese people so that they can live comfortably along side one another.

Begs the question where these very strong ethics were during Japan's imperial period. Somewhat off topic; I know.

Back