Dogs on cargo bikes

Steve Green

Being a new owner of an R&M Load 60 I'm keen to get as much out of this bike as possible. I want to be able to take my dog to other places to go for a walk and into the city. I've gotten her used to it, and we did a short 3km ride yesterday ( her usual walking route ). Initially, I had her leashed to the bike, but she jumped out twice at low speed. So I disconnected her. That seemed to calm her down a bit and she relaxed into the ride. Eventually, she lay down and genuinely seemed to be having a good time. So much so by the time we got home she didn't want to get out.

But still, the thought of riding into the city with her unrestrained worries me. Something could easily startle her and she might jump out. And that could end VERY badly. I do have a car harness that you thread a seatbelt thru. I thought I'd try that next. She is used to that in the car.

Other than that how to other dog-owning cargo bike riders travel with their dogs. Any tips will be much appreciated.

My dog is really small. 7lb. I put her in a doggie back pack the she has now associated with a fun outing with my wife and I. That said, I can think of two times while off-road ( on our bikes) she had tried to work herself free, the retainer clasp in the BP is what kept her. So my vote.. always have her attached to the bike. Bad stuff happens so quickly in the city. As far as how...well seems like you have that handled, it's simply the restrainment she will accept that will provide the solution.

Thanks, I think you are right. Part of the reason I bought the load was to cart her around, but now that I have it I'm worried she could have a bad accident. She's a 15-month-old Sheltie and can wriggle her way out of her car harness if she wants to. But at least on the Load I can talk to her and keep a close eye on her. I have a small crate that fits upfront but I'd only use that if I really had to.

I love my dog too much to put him in a bike trailer. I would never forgive myself if something happened to him. Moreover, he is a Corgi, and Corgis' real strength, besides being the cutest dogs on the planet, is in being grounded. BTW, you can see him at www.kebabthecorgi.com.

It looks like you have seatbelts for children, you can get a dog harness that utilises that safety function (at least for automotive seatbelts but should be very similar).

If a car swiped behind me, it could easily wipe out the trailer, and a harness wouldn't protect him from that.

Also, it is one thing for me to make the choice for myself that the risk of getting injured or killed while riding a bike is acceptable to me, but it is another to make that choice for my pet. He doesn't get any input, it isn't his choice.

Not that I really worry about bike accidents. I don't want it to sound like I live in fear of it. I don't. In fact I feel safer on my bike than I did on my 125 scooter.

We found a workable solution. I used my dog's car harness ( https://ezydog.com.au/drive-car-harness/ ) with a cargo strap looped thru it's seatbelt loops and under the footwell lid. With the footwell lid closed and her sitting on it she has nowhere to go. She can stand up and walk around a little - but she *cannot* jump out. We've used it on several rides now. She mostly just lies down and watches to world go by.

So glad I found a solution we are both happy with - I'd hate to lose my dog.

Attachments

• IMG_20200121_180927.jpg
    IMG_20200121_180927.jpg
    790.5 KB · Views: 463
Back