Does size really matter?

Mark DT

After 16 months of nothing but ebikes on the internet, I finally, FINALLY, managed to steer the family vacation to a city that has a real, honest to goodness, store that sells nothing but ebikes.

I tried to come as prepared as possible. I re-watched all the pertinent videos. I read the reviews. I made lists of the kind of things that were important to me, how I ride, where I ride, what I want to accomplish with the bike. I even had a pocket full of note cards so I didn't forget anything.

And...I walk in the front door, the owner takes one look at me and points to my left and says, "48V, 500W, geared rear hub motor."

"That's it?" I ask. "That's it." he replies.

Now don't get me wrong. He was amazing cordial. We spent almost an hour talking and test riding. He showed me any and everything in the store, but in his opinion, "That's it."

So my question is this. If you are the size and shape of an NFL tight end, albeit without the corresponding bank roll, is there no other option? Do riding style and desire for PAS over throttle really mean nothing? If I go against owner's advice and get a mid-drive or a bike that "only" has a 36 volt system or a cargo bike am I really going to hate myself that much?

After 16 months of nothing but ebikes on the internet, I finally, FINALLY, managed to steer the family vacation to a city that has a real, honest to goodness, store that sells nothing but ebikes.

I tried to come as prepared as possible. I re-watched all the pertinent videos. I read the reviews. I made lists of the kind of things that were important to me, how I ride, where I ride, what I want to accomplish with the bike. I even had a pocket full of note cards so I didn't forget anything.

And...I walk in the front door, the owner takes one look at me and points to my left and says, "48V, 500W, geared rear hub motor."

"That's it?" I ask. "That's it." he replies.

Now don't get me wrong. He was amazing cordial. We spent almost an hour talking and test riding. He showed me any and everything in the store, but in his opinion, "That's it."

So my question is this. If you are the size and shape of an NFL tight end, albeit without the corresponding bank roll, is there no other option? Do riding style and desire for PAS over throttle really mean nothing? If I go against owner's advice and get a mid-drive or a bike that "only" has a 36 volt system or a cargo bike am I really going to hate myself that much?
I am old, have almost no eyesight left, and have limited intellectual capacity. However, I can tell you that ebike sales reps are like most retail sales reps, they know little about the products they sell (some exceptions such as dedicated ebike dealers who sell specific brands and ride what they sell). I encourage you to do your own education. Education that involves no homework, no internet searches, no engineering, and no geek nuts posting all kinds of bits and data on website forums. The process is simple: Test Ride as many bikes as you can for at least 20 minutes and seek out various grades on the test ride. You own sense of well-being will tell you whether a bike has proper geometry, sufficient gearing, and enough power for your needs. The key here is that your education is determined by your hands on riding experience with as many bikes as possible. I am fortunate to live in the SF Bay Area that has a couple of decent ebike dealers. I had no problem (and neither should you) of visiting them often to test ride bikes. It is only through this process that you can determine what suits you. Everyone is different and has different needs and different perceptions. I suggest you start with a checklist of those benefits you want out of an ebike. Are looks important, is front/rear suspension important, will you be riding onroad or offroad, do you like a comfortable riding position or an aggressive one, et. al.

If you want to get this right, do not rely solely on the opinion of others. Combine public opinion with your own experiences and you will make the right selection. One consideration that may not be obvious: warranty and service. For me, since sitting on a toilet is a chore, I wanted a local dealer with outstanding techs and a bike that had at least a 2 year warranty.

Lastly, since ebikes are in their infancy, expect the technology and pricing to change at a rapid pace and do not be dismayed by tomorrow's hot feature. If you do, you will delay your riding pleasure today. I am fortunate enough to have a rich boyfriend, so I can have obvious luxury of being able to buy/sell/buy frequently.

Enjoy the purchase journey......

There are so many other factors to consider, your riding posture, type of riding, no way can it be that simple. You say he's a nice guy, I say he's a nice salesman, looking to make a sale.

I think, for example, a mid-drive 350 watt, 36/12 bike with Julius Thomas or Gronkowski pedaling along will be plenty powerful - probably climb a vertical face!

Don't forget, a lot of these "turbo" or "boost" pedal-assist settings add triple to your leg power.

From a bicycle standpoint, obviously you are looking at a larger, sturdier frame...

Last edited:
I think, for example, a mid-drive 350 watt, 36/12 bike with Julius Thomas or Gronkowski pedaling along will be plenty powerful - probably climb a vertical face!

I'm kinda stuck with Travis Kelce at this point. He may still work out, providing he quits hot dogging, but that should give you an indication why dedicated ebike shops, are few, far, and 16 months between.

I was able to find several bikes with good position and geometry. And, for what it's worth, the manufacturers who made the prescribed 48V etc. bikes were the ones with the best warranties which I need being 700 miles from the shop. It just seems that other, newer technologies, should be an option too.

Another thought: you might want to consider mid-mounted battery pack and perhaps mid-motor as well, you probably not do want to have a rear heavy bike, being a little bit in that direction yourself! No offense!

So you're saying you live in the middle of Kansas? Wait... 700 miles? North Dakota?

Close, Kansas City. 600 miles to Denver to try an Optibike, 700 miles to Austin to test Pedego, Easy Motion or that REALLY pretty Stromer.

Oh and no offense taken. If the shoe fits after all...

Close, Kansas City. 600 miles to Denver to try an Optibike, 700 miles to Austin to test Pedego, Easy Motion or that REALLY pretty Stromer.

Oh and no offense taken. If the shoe fits after all...
Wow, you are really motivated to purchase an ebike.

Back