Does or will Haibike make a Flyon with 28mph limiter and near frictionless motor decoupling?

BikeMike

My personal motto is: follow where the evidence leads you. I arrived at a much different place than where I originally started. As a mechanical cyclist, the riding experience is of paramount importance. I don't care about motor power or battery capacity. Those features are primarily a hinderance to the bike feel.

The bike i seek is a hybrid of Specialized Creo SL and Flyon Adventure.
  • This bike is for 100 mile bikepacking trips in less than 5 hours.
  • I do not require continuous power. I am willing to pedal ten miles unpowered.
  • I expect to stop every two hours for a 30 minute recharging break.

1593947181969.png

My Actual Requirements​

A: 10 Amp Charger
  • High C Batteries designed to charge within one hour
  • Charger weighing less than five pounds
  • Total bike weight, including charger, under 33 pounds.
  • I expect to carry charger on trips over 50 miles.
  • This bike is for 100 mile bikepackingtrips in less than 5 hours.
B: 28 mph Speed Limiter
C: Almost Imperceptible Decoupled Motor Resistance

S: My Dream Bike
- realizable in the foreseeable future

BC: Specialized Creo SL
SA: Haibike FlyOn Adventure
AB: JuicedBikes with 3C battery pack cells. Can 8Fun motor be decoupled?

Haibike’s FLYON range featuring the powerful TQ motor comes with a 630 Wh battery. If you’re looking for a lot of power and you tend to keep your rides short, this is a great motor. However, you’ll run into problems if you want to go on longer rides unless you resort to using the energy-saving but also weak Eco mode. Specialized’s SL 1.1 motor is at the other extreme of the spectrum. It is an excellent concept for fit and aggressive riders who are looking for natural handling close to that of an unpowered bike thanks to its modular battery system, compact dimensions, low weight. However, the low power output means this is not the bike for those who want that eMTB-superman feeling on the climbs. As you can see, how you use your eMTB and how the system performs as a whole is the decisive factor here.

So, which is the best motor?
There is no longer just one best eMTB motor. The market has become too differentiated and on account of the countless variables and customisation options, there’s no way of rating the different motors in isolation either. The best motor is only as good as the bike into which it’s built. If the basic concept of the bike doesn’t work, even the best motor won’t be able to transform it into a good eMTB. Think carefully about when, how, and where you want to ride. Once you’ve figured that out, we’ve compiled an overview on the following pages to show you which motor is most suitable for you and your riding style

Last edited:

Finding the optimal combination and mix of materials is very tricky: the electrode material determines the voltage output during normal operation and determines the electrical current nominal output voltage. The storable energy in turn depends on the nature of the materials used. In addition, a battery must also be able to survive many charging cycles, which is why different materials are used for the stabilising layers.

Whatever the cocktail ultimately contains, the general rule is that the more uniform the chemical composition of the battery, the higher its performance and lifetime.

With a rechargeable battery, energy is stored in a reversible electrochemical processes.

Currently, there is a lot of interest in the composition of the electrolyte, with a lot of research into replacing the current organic electrolyte with an inorganic one in order to increase energy density and ultimately the range. It’s a tricky thing: the electrolyte has to be capable of handling a current of around four volts. Since watery electrolytes form reactive gases at this voltage, resulting in a reduced lifespan of the battery, organic solvents (mixed with conductive salts) are still the medium of choice.

Lithium is a naturally reactive and self-flammable light metal. Depending on the type of battery, the temperature limit can be between 150° C and 250° C. If this limit is exceeded, the lithium reacts with other components of the battery cell, generating even more heat, creating a runaway thermal reaction. At around 300° C, the liquid electrolyte will start burning. To prevent this from happening, lithium-ion batteries have an integrated electronic circuit, the so-called battery management system. It acts as a control unit and ensures that all the cells experience equal loads. After all, good management is supposed to ensure a healthy and happy long-term working environment.

So what’s the deciding factor here? You can guess the answer: it’s the chemical components and their influence on the charging process, which brings us back to those top secret files.

• While Bosch’s Fast Charger achieves a full charge in three hours,
  • the Shimano STEPS EC-E6000 quick charger takes four hours.
  • TQ are one step ahead and manage to charge a 630 Wh battery to 80% capacity in one hour.
  • The Bosch Fast Charger reaches only 40% of a 500 Wh battery in one hour.

• However, these differences could be just as much due to chemistry as they could to
  • how the batteries are ultimately packaged
  • or the charging currents the manufacturers allow.

1. Are you willing to wait till December 2020?
2. Where do you want to keep the “charger”?
3. Can you commit to it financially by end of August? (Pay upfront).

Last edited:
1. Are you willing to wait till December 2020?
2. Where do you want to keep the “charger”?
3. Can you commit to it financially by end of August? (Pay upfront).
I am willing to wait.
I want to carry a 10 amp charger on the bike. It must weigh less than five pounds.
I don't the specifics, like how much, what we are talking about, etc...

I am willing to wait.
I want to carry a 10 amp charger on the bike. It must weigh less than five pounds.
I don't the specifics, like how much, what we are talking about, etc...
Still working out the details but will be in touch over DM.

Still working out the details but will be in touch over DM.
You can find full specifications here. The most useful product is a Specialized SL Extender replacement with a portable, full function 10 amp charger for 3C cells. All details are already made explicit. The best approach might be to work with Specialized on a royalty basis.

Last edited:
Back