Disconnected hanging wire on Neo Cross?

frazzxr

Hello,

Does anyone know if the wire in this picture became disconnected from something or if it is for a future add on or something?

VIVOTAB - WIN_20140521_052828.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
I've never looked behind that panel to investigate what is behind it, but I'm guessing that if everything on the bike is working, then it's possibly a diagnostics wire.

Last edited:
Really sorry, I can't answer that.

I can't see it on my bike, but I'll hunt out the dealer workshop manual later and take a look to see if that sheds any light on it.

Second thought, I can answer it. :)

I pulled mine apart to take a look for you. There are actually two sets of wires that aren't connected to anything. Sorry about the blurred 3rd photo.

The black wire is in exactly the same location as your wire, but tucked back into the frame, with the connector facing downwards.

I've never pulled this cover off before, and I was actually surprised by just how little crud had got into the area. It is obviously pretty well protected. All credit to BH for that design feature.

w1.JPG w2.JPG w3.JPG w4.JPG

I suspect it is for hooking up the lights that run off the main battery. That is what I noticed from this video, long back. I might be wrong. Frazzxr, a call to Chris Nolte might be useful.

Not even 2 cents worth but Stromers have a USB connection that just hangs down w/ a plastic cover over it for repair access I believe

Mark

EddieJ, you really didn't need t pull yours apart, thanks for that!

I was just looking for confirmation that it wasn't supposed to actively be connected to something it wasn't....

I am gonna tuck it in and call it solved :)

Ravi, I would call chris, but he is probably already sick of me....lol

thanks for all the replies.

I saw the same exact wire when I put together my Neo Carbon. I always wondered what the heck it was too! I shuffled it up and in and forgot about it. I hope you get a definite answer.

I just watched the video, thanks for that Ravi!

The hook up for the light looks relatively easy, and I'd like to try it. The box the light comes in says "Supernova", and these seem to be expensive lights:
http://www.peterwhitecycles.com

Has anyone out there wired this or any other light in a Neo Cross? I really like the idea!

The hook up for the light looks relatively easy, and I'd like to try it. The box the light comes in says "Supernova", and these seem to be expensive lights:
Has anyone out there wired this or any other light in a Neo Cross? I really like the idea!

Hi Orlan,

It should be straight fwd to use the wiring to power the Supernova. Some of their Evo City models use similar lighting system (not exact but very similar).

If your dealer is not versed in these kinds of modifications, call John P at Easy Motion headquarters in CA and he can guide you through the process. He is the main tech guy for Easy Motion. He's at johnp at emotionbikesusa.com

Sorry for all the quotes, I hope it makes it easier to see my responses.

Hello,

Does anyone know if the wire in this picture became disconnected from something or if it is for a future add on or something?

View attachment 1082
This wire is for programming at the factory. Just tuck that one back in as no one uses it, not even us dealers.

Not even 2 cents worth but Stromers have a USB connection that just hangs down w/ a plastic cover over it for repair access I believe

Mark
That's actually wires for lighting. The Stromer comes prewired to accept the City Kit.

EddieJ, you really didn't need t pull yours apart, thanks for that!

I was just looking for confirmation that it wasn't supposed to actively be connected to something it wasn't....

I am gonna tuck it in and call it solved :)

Ravi, I would call chris, but he is probably already sick of me....lol

thanks for all the replies.
I'd never get sick of you :). I enjoy helping with this sort of stuff, I'm in the business of customer service, not just selling ebikes.

In order to run lights on the Easy Motion bikes you need a light kit from Easy Motion, it runs $50 retail. It's essentially a step down converter which takes the 36V and steps it down to the 6V you need to run lights. Certain lights, including one of the Supernova models can accept a variety of different voltages, but 6V is more common. Keep in mind this is DC, so you need to run a light that accepts it, as most dynamo lights are AC. There are three headlights we work with, 2 Supernova and 1 Busch and Müller. Currently they are all sold out at both of our distributors, but we have a bunch on order.
Hi Orlan,

It should be straight fwd to use the wiring to power the Supernova. Some of their Evo City models use similar lighting system (not exact but very similar).

If your dealer is not versed in these kinds of modifications, call John P at Easy Motion headquarters in CA and he can guide you through the process. He is the main tech guy for Easy Motion. He's at johnp at emotionbikesusa.com
Just to clarify, the Evo Eco Lite and the Neo City are powered by a front hub dynamo so it's a bit different, but the concept is certainly similar.

Hope that helps guys.

I take exception to you comment about Stromer and the hanging wire, but i do it w/a smile :). It is a wire to get to the motor , I have the kit installed and the wire is still there. It has a protective piece over connector. I heard on the earlier models when it got wet it caused some issues. It was also to get to the motor controller then too :)

The wire I am speaking of is at the rear wheel on the side w/the brakes (right when looking at the front). It wont stay bundled up with rest of the wires that are run back there.

Don't make me figure pout how to pst pictures here :)

I am 99%+ sure I am correct , I am not as sure we are speaking of the same wire :)

I take exception to you comment about Stromer and the hanging wire, but i do it w/a smile :). It is a wire to get to the motor , I have the kit installed and the wire is still there. It has a protective piece over connector. I heard on the earlier models when it got wet it caused some issues. It was also to get to the motor controller then too :)

The wire I am speaking of is at the rear wheel on the side w/the brakes (right when looking at the front). It wont stay bundled up with rest of the wires that are run back there.

Don't make me figure pout how to pst pictures here :)

I am 99%+ sure I am correct , I am not as sure we are speaking of the same wire :)
Sorry about that. You are correct. I thought you were speaking of a wire near the bottom bracket like the Easy Motion. Before the lights are connected the wires come the same way.

Chris, I am a consumer and you are a professional, I defer to you. I just knew once we communicated correctly it would be a non issue. Thx for following up :)

Mark

I've been following with great interest the discussion about "hanging" wire, as I plan to install a light in the front of my Neo Cross in the near future. The video is a great help in showing the steps necessary to do this.
Chris pointed to 3 DC lights, 2 Supernova and 1 Busch and Müller, that would work in this application. Does anyone have any experience to share about the pros/cons of these lights? Does anyone currently have one of these or another DC light installed on their bike?

I've been following with great interest the discussion about "hanging" wire, as I plan to install a light in the front of my Neo Cross in the near future. The video is a great help in showing the steps necessary to do this.
Chris pointed to 3 DC lights, 2 Supernova and 1 Busch and Müller, that would work in this application. Does anyone have any experience to share about the pros/cons of these lights? Does anyone currently have one of these or another DC light installed on their bike?
In my experience the Supernova are a bit more expensive, but also more powerful and more durable due to there metal construction where the Busch & Müller is plastic. For most applications the Busch & Müller is plenty of power though. If you're planning on doing it I would try to plan it out a bit in advance as there is a shortage in the US right now. I think most of these companies weren't really prepared for the spike in sales in the US. We've been doing it while keeping low key, but now it's a trend that seems to be catching on, especially since many bikes like the Dash are starting to come pre-wired. Let me know if I can help further.

Thanks for your reply Chris. I'm looking at all the options, but am thinking about the Philips SafeRide LED Bike Light for Pedelecs 80 Lux, and have some questions:
  1. Do you know anything about this light, and it's performance?
  2. In the description of this light on the Bike24 Web site it says "This version of Philips proven SafeRide bike light is developed for pedelecs with 6-48V DC supply and a power 5 watts. The installation takes place directly to rechargeable battery of the pedelecs." Do you know if I would have to purchase a step down converter for this particular light? It's confusing in the description because it says "5 watts" and nothing about volts. (Maybe they mean volts?)
  3. If I do need a step down convertor, will the $50 light kit from Easy Motion, which takes the 36V and steps it down to the 6V, be the right choice?

Back