Discharging a Pedego Battery for Storage

6zfshdb

Region
USA
City
Northeast Pennsylvania
I posted this in another thread but decided to place it here as well since it pertains to Pedego batteries.
A simple rig can be built, using these parts, to discharge Pedego 36 & 48V batteries for long term storage.

Four medium base (E26) bulb sockets
411wHbdsdcL._AC_.jpg

A 12 hour timer
51wFrWaEfbL._AC_SL1253_.jpg

Four of these bulbs:
51tt0t-7kRL._AC_SL1200_.jpg

I cut the plug of a cheap extension cord in half. The flat spades fit perfectly into the main power connector on the Pedego battery. The polarity does not matter.
P1080654b.jpg P1080655b.jpg P1080033b.jpg

By using the main battery connector instead of the XLR charging port, I was able to take advantage of the battery's built in power switch and fuse.
P1080651b.jpg P1080652c.jpg P1080656b.jpg

The rig can be used & stored flat on a bench or hanging on a wall.
P1080657b.jpg

All four bulbs draw just under 1 amp. Bulbs can be added or removed to adjust the draw. In theory, all four will fully discharge a 48V, 15AH Pedego battery in a little over 15 hours. A test showed the rig reduces a fully charged battery to 80% in about 4 hours.

The total cost of the rig is just under $60. It has other uses though. It provides the equivalent amount of light as four 60 watt bulbs for up to 15 hours. In addition to using it during a power outage, I've also used it as a portable light source when working outdoors.

Just curious. Any idea how long it would take to get to 80% with just the head and tail lights left on? I was thinking about doing that.

Just curious. Any idea how long it would take to get to 80% with just the head and tail lights left on? I was thinking about doing that.
That is a great idea, I will definitely make one.
Thank you for replying very grateful. 👍
You may as well just start bookmarking every post from 6zfshdb because sooner or later you're going to want to know.
I was just thinking of making the battery deplete device but I wanted to check once again how it's made.

Back