Deciding which ebike, HELP!

wings02

I am shopping for an ebike and not sure which to get. My budget is $2,000. I am looking at a road bike with front suspension. The Juiced Cross current S2, Magnum, or Radcity4 are the bikes I am contemplating. Although I have heard some bad stories about Juiced customer service, I like the features, especially the torque sensor option on the Cross Current S2 ebike. Any input or suggestions would be appreciated

Juiced has 39 pages of known problems on the brand threads. rad has 12 pages. Magnum has 5 pages. The difference for magnum may be that their market share is a lot less, or it may be that their dealers actually handle some of their problems before the customer reports here. Juiced & Rad are internet direct bikes. At this price point you are not buying real steel spokes or cables, real aluminum rims, etc. Roll the dice & see what flavor scrap metal they shipped today. One person on here reported a fractured frame from one of those brands.
I lucked out by buying a $2000 bike without power. The spokes & cables don't need adjusting, the rims don't need straightening, even right out of the box. I've got 7800 miles and 3.7 years on it. I'm quite pleased about their level of QA, but the type of bike is not what you are looking for so I won't discuss it. Features you can read about in the court reviews. Level of quality & lack of trouble after a couple of years, you're on your own.
Road bikes with short list of known problems at an advanced price, cannondale has 2 pages of known problems. Their market share is substantial, and they have dealers.

Last edited:
Though I'm a big fan of RAD, and there are a lot of very happy RAD City owners, I would caution that this bike uses a direct drive rear hub motor that offers significantly less power than a geared rear hub with the same watt rating. This lack of power very noticeable with medium to large riders while accelerating from a stop, and while attempting to climb just moderately steep hills. Geared hub motors can run circles around them, and offer much sportier performance. Noteworthy as well, is the fact the RAD City is one of the only bikes left on the market still using a direct drive rear hub. You have to wonder why that might be. Do NOT believe the relevance regarding the fact they are quieter, or they have less moving parts. They are NOT any quieter than competitive bikes, and the number of moving parts is a moot point as the geared hub motors seem to go forever without service.

The number of "known problems" shown here on EBR has no significance other than to represent the number of bikes sold.

In no particular order, Juiced, Rize, Biketrix, M2U, Ride One Up, Espin, and Aventon are all worth checking out, among others. Note these bikes are all using similar quality parts, are all built in China, and there are very few proprietary parts used to build them. That means a long service life - even if the original bike manf. folds - as the parts to service them are available anywhere parts are sold.

Though I'm a big fan of RAD, and there are a lot of very happy RAD City owners, I would caution that this bike uses a direct drive rear hub motor that offers significantly less power than a geared rear hub with the same watt rating. This lack of power very noticeable with medium to large riders while accelerating from a stop, and while attempting to climb just moderately steep hills. Geared hub motors can run circles around them, and offer much sportier performance. Noteworthy as well, is the fact the RAD City is one of the only bikes left on the market still using a direct drive rear hub. You have to wonder why that might be. Do NOT believe the relevance regarding the fact they are quieter, or they have less moving parts. They are NOT any quieter than competitive bikes, and the number of moving parts is a moot point as the geared hub motors seem to go forever without service.

The number of "known problems" shown here on EBR has no significance other than to represent the number of bikes sold.

In no particular order, Juiced, Rize, Biketrix, M2U, Ride One Up, Espin, and Aventon are all worth checking out, among others. Note these bikes are all using similar quality parts, are all built in China, and there are very few proprietary parts used to build them. That means a long service life - even if the original bike manf. folds - as the parts to service them are available anywhere parts are sold.
I was all set to order a city back in 2019 but switched to the rover for that very reason. I'm curious what ,if any, are the upsides to the direct drive. If there are none why even use them?

I was all set to order a city back in 2019 but switched to the rover for that very reason. I'm curious what ,if any, are the upsides to the direct drive. If there are none why even use them?
The direct drives are often used as commuters - guys covering a distance over flat level ground without a lot of intersections/stops. Where the geared hubs start loosing efficiency in the high teens, the direct drives start making efficiency about there. They're still gutless, but once the bike is rolling they don't need to be real peppy.

Direct drives also work better when it comes to staying cool - like at sustained speeds of 15mph+. This ability to maintain their cool also makes them attractive to the guys who want to go really fast. They apply BIG power (72v+) with a ton of amps available, and get some pretty sporty performance from the direct drives as well (think small dirt bike). My thoughts anyway, FWIW.

This just popped up while I was reading the news. It appears to offer a bike for 79 US dollars...

I'll be waiting for the reviews....

Back