DC bike ride

WilliamT

According to their FAQ

"Pedal-assist bicycles are allowed. E-bikes with a throttle or that can be POWERED BY MOTOR ONLY ARE NOT ALLOWED. "

So if you disconnect your throttle, is your bike allowed? Then it would only run in pedal assist mode.

According to their FAQ

"Pedal-assist bicycles are allowed. E-bikes with a throttle or that can be POWERED BY MOTOR ONLY ARE NOT ALLOWED. "

So if you disconnect your throttle, is your bike allowed? Then it would only run in pedal assist mode.
It's a social group ride. I seriously doubt anyone will scrutinize your bike, as long as you're riding the same as the group. I've ridden in mixed group rides, both acoustic and electric. Lots of curious questions. The closest question that may relate to throttles is: 'so it's like a moped?' Answer: 'no, you have to pedal to make it go. Just like your bike'. You could always remove the throttle if you're disconnecting it anyway. I doubt anyone will notice though.

That's what I meant. I would remove the throttle entirely from the handlebars. Then the only way to start the motor is through pedal assist only.

According to their FAQ

I did that ride 2 years ago with a converted 1998 Giant using a Hilltopper 250w front wheel hub and throttle. Absolutely no one said a word to me, and I doubt anyone even knew I was on an ebike. It helped me keep up with the group I was with, and I know even going 20mph I was a lot slower than some of the road bikes around me.

I did see the "No ebikes" rule at last minute, but I'd already paid so I went. Nobody cared. Nobody even looked. The next year it rained and I didn't go. I'll go this year, but with my Giant LaFree. But trust me - if I need the converted throttle only bike, I'd take it again with no qualms.

There are thousands of bikes there. I didn't see anyone checking any bikes. Everyone working the ride was too busy getting the bikes in the paddocks and moving each paddock forward so that the bikes could go off in ordered, timed groups . Nobody noticed, nobody will notice, or even care what your ebike has ....unless you look and act and dress like Evel Knievel and your bike looks like a crap homemade 3000 watt job. Even then you'll probably only get the side eye from the folks around you. No body else will care.

Last edited:
I've ridden in mixed group rides, both acoustic and electric. Lots of curious questions?

Ya mean like: Whar kin i git me one of them acoustic bicycles?🤔
There's a video somewhere with a guy who put a diesel train horn on a bike.

Last edited:
Ya know I'm disappointed I was really lookin' forward to that DC ride. That's kind strange for me: I'm ptobably the
most naturally socially- distanced person you'll ever meet. I do not place a great deal of confidence in my fellow man.

For 2022, it looks like ebikes are allowed according to their FAQ

"DC Bike Ride welcomes class 1, 2 and 3 e-bikes. Class 1 and 3 e-bikes have a motor that provides assistance only when the rider is pedaling. Class 2 e-bikes have a throttle. If you participate with a class 2 e-bike, you are not allowed to exclusively use the motor to propel the e-bike for an extended period of time without pedaling.

Regardless of the pedal assist of the e-bike, the maximum speed of all e-bikes during our event cannot exceed 18 mph.

Please note that the motor of the e-bike cannot be more than 750 watts."

Last edited:
Back