Custom eBike

weizguy

Since I can't find the perfect ebike, I am thinking about building my own. But where can I find the perfect eBike frame?

I need a frame that can handle the following:

Full Suspension
Carbon Gates Belt Drive (I guess you need specific frame?)
Option for larger fat tires (up to 27.5 x 5")
Integrated battery

I haven't decided on a motor yet, but prefer Bafang, then Brose, then Bosch...

Where can I find a frame like this?

You are going to have to either find a bare frame from China, or build yourself to get that integrated battery.

You'll have to fabricate one yourself (or get a frame builder to do it for you). You're not gonna find a pre-made frame with FS, belt compatibility, Bafang motor mount, and in-frame battery. Remove either the FS or belt requirement, then it's a different story.

ASAIK, no mid-drive manufacturer other than Bafang sells their motors. I do not believe anyone sells a ready-made belt compatible FS frame either, let alone one with an integrated battery; you would have to have one custom built.

I have 7 bikes currently, 5 of them DIY ebikes. It's been a great journey thus far and thankful to my friends on EBR this summer since I joined.

I understand the draw to Mid-Motor with a belt drive, perhaps a 3 or 5 speed hub in the rear. I haven't tried mid motors (yet) as I have had fantastic luck with RWD and 2WD Hub setups. If you end up building a belt drive Mid Motor setup, please please do share it here for us to see how you make out with it.

Integrated battery was never something I looked for. Downtube batteries work great. On some bikes I have a pair of bottle holders strapped together near the stem (road going bikes) and for my off road bikes I just used a camelbak for hydration. I'm guessing you want the integrated battery to have bottle mounts in the triangle? If yes, these are much easier to move or go with a camelbak then trying to get an integrated battery mount for a DIY project.

The first DIY bikes I started with were various models pre-built with Bionx that I in turn upgraded/fine tuned. I'm thankful to have experienced them. While I still love these bikes and what they meant to me, I'm in the process of parting them out and selling them off this fall/next spring.

I'm doing this as I learned what I really liked and have 3 final DIY bikes I'm building this year (full details to come). One just for speed, one for long distance road riding with multiple batteries and one fat tire bike for dirt/mud/snow riding.

What I found as a great starting point to look for (new and used) for DIY builds is the bikes from Surley.

They are so strong and overbuilt from the frame out it makes adding as much (or as little technically) power you want to them easy. 2 of my final 3 bikes are Surley's and both are 2WD builds. The Surley front forks are the only ones I trust from an OEM provider to take a front hub motor for my 2WD setups.

You want to squeeze 5" tires in? 4.8" for sure will fit in the Surley Ice Cream Truck, previous years they sold the MoonLander, Maybe the Pugsley, etc. Have a look if you have the time.

On a final note, I have a KHS500 (basic fat bike) with 4.8 tires that came with a 170mm Bionx D motor setup, 500watts nominal RWD. It absolutely is my 'go anywhere' bike. Rides ok/fine on road, loves all type of dirt, mud and snow. If I'm ever exploring an area/trail/path for the first time - I always take it first to scout out what I'm riding on before I perhaps take one of my other bikes.

While I'm selling this bike off, it's only because my Surley Pugsley with 3.8" Nate tires will be a good replacement for it except for anytime I have to ride on road (rides and sounds like a tractor, lol). Anything 3.8" and up to 5.0" with the tread you choose best for you will be a great fit.

Just some thoughts from a 2 year DIY club member, hope this helps.

Cheers
Shaun

While I'm selling this bike off, it's only because my Surley Pugsley with 3.8" Nate tires will be a good replacement for it except for anytime I have to ride on road (rides and sounds like a tractor, lol). Anything 3.8" and up to 5.0" with the tread you choose best for you will be a great fit.

Just some thoughts from a 2 year DIY club member, hope this helps.

Cheers
Shaun

HAHAAAA lol, sorry but that is so apt, it's the oddest thing having people turn around at the sound of your bike 20 meters before you pass them. I live on the moors more or less, 6o seconds from the middle of nowhere so the nates are perfect tyres for the tank, love em but man are they noisy.

Basically, I want this bike with the following upgrades:

Gates Belt Drive
Rohloff Speedhub

I could live with the other stuff on it, but would rather have a different motor as it comes with the Shimano motor - can't change it out though as it is integrated into the frame. This bike is already $9,000 and if I switched to the Rohloff and added the Gates Belt drive, I would be adding another $2,000.

But aint she beautiful!!!
eSummit.png

another option if I went without the fat tires for the same price would be the SuperDelite Rohloff:
superdelite.png

I like the integrated batteries because it looks cleaner...

Last edited:
HAHAAAA lol, sorry but that is so apt, it's the oddest thing having people turn around at the sound of your bike 20 meters before you pass them. I live on the moors more or less, 6o seconds from the middle of nowhere so the nates are perfect tyres for the tank, love em but man are they noisy.
I had a bell installed on my Pugsley when I first started riding it....and never used it once. It seized up from lack of use and outdoor elements (winter) so I just removed it and if ever someone doesn't hear my nates coming up behind them I still have my lungs to use in a pinch. :)

Basically, I want this bike with the following upgrades:

Gates Belt Drive
Rohloff Speedhub

I could live with the other stuff on it, but would rather have a different motor as it comes with the Shimano motor - can't change it out though as it is integrated into the frame. This bike is already $9,000 and if I switched to the Rohloff and added the Gates Belt drive, I would be adding another $2,000.

But aint she beautiful!!!
View attachment 65108

another option if I went without the fat tires for the same price would be the SuperDelite Rohloff:
View attachment 65109

I like the integrated batteries because it looks cleaner...

Gorgeous Bike.

Yes the integrated battery is beautiful...but when it's covered in mud or snow it looks not much different than a down tube setup. ;-)

FS with 5" tires is a tough sell...3.8" and up tires mostly replace the need for FS except for the advantage of the suspension keeping the wheels on the ground when riding exceptional hard and fast...if that is how you plan to ride then I can see why you want FS.

For me, I have a Surley Pugsley with a 52V 2WD setup, 1500watts x 2, starting with a single battery but already looking into options to have two for longer single ride capcity versus coming back to the trail head and swapping batteries mid ride. Having the front wheel powered in a 2WD drive setup this winter is going to be exciting, I will share my experience here on EBR of course when the time comes.

Yes...a DIY 2WD looks like a Rat Rod compared to this piece of art you have linked to...but 3kw 2WD of dirt/snow throwing traction was my priority.

Good luck with your decision - look forward to hearing what you end up with!

There's just no reason you (or anyone) would need all of the things on your list. Normally there's nothing inherently wrong with that; people buy things they don't need all the time. But in this case, I'm afraid you're going to have to find somewhere to compromise.

Have you tried getting in touch with Watt Wagons and LaMere? As I recall from this post, Watt Wagons might be the best shop in N. America that would even understand how to combine FS and belt drive and may give you some insight into how to overcome these problems. LaMere may tell you where they source their frames from or even sell you a frame-only option.

Even if you can afford to try, I don't think adding a Gates to that LaMere will work.

You are correct, I do not need half the things on my list. As I said in another thread, all I really need is the Frey CC - it handles everything I would throw at it. I just think a fat tire bike with all those options would be awesome!

Now if Tom Davenport would sell me his Frey I would be set and he could go buy the Watt Wagons he keeps talking about :)

You are correct, I do not need half the things on my list. As I said in another thread, all I really need is the Frey CC - it handles everything I would throw at it. I just think a fat tire bike with all those options would be awesome!

Now if Tom Davenport would sell me his Frey I would be set and he could go buy the Watt Wagons he keeps talking about :)

Just buy the WattWagon CrossTour and be done... you really don't need the full rear suspension with the Kinect seat post and 26 x 4 fat tires. ;)

1599935631176.png

Back