Controller problem?

Mumshoovering

Region
United Kingdom
Hello All, My prague motor is momentarily cutting out as I'm going up long slight inclines that it used to take with ease. Changing down gears doesnt help. It like when it hits the power speeds it cuts out just for a second but enough to slow it even more. Could there be an easy solution or is it new controller? Thanks.

Is it only on large inclines or does it happen in all types terrain.

How the Das-kit controller and display works is that the pedal assist will power you to a certain speed based on the PAS level and then cutoff.

What I think is happening is that at very steep hills it is reaching it's speed limit and cutting out, then you are slowing down and then it is providing assistance as you went below the cutoff and the cycle repeats.

I would increase the PAS to the highest level and see if the same issue occurs. If you are already on the highest PAS then there might be something else.

Another thing is to check is to go into the settings of the display. It varies by model but on my bike it was 8088. When you cycle through the settings there will be one for eco, normal and power. Try putting it to power and see if it is making the climb.

Edit: Here is a video showing the procedure.

I would more doubt the controller than the motor.

Does the display go off momentaily as well? If so, it could be voltage sag on the battery at high current levels when going uphill. If you drop below LVC, either the BMS or Controller will shut down until voltage recovers.

Is it only on large inclines or does it happen in all types terrain.

How the Das-kit controller and display works is that the pedal assist will power you to a certain speed based on the PAS level and then cutoff.

What I think is happening is that at very steep hills it is reaching it's speed limit and cutting out, then you are slowing down and then it is providing assistance as you went below the cutoff and the cycle repeats.

I would increase the PAS to the highest level and see if the same issue occurs. If you are already on the highest PAS then there might be something else.

Another thing is to check is to go into the settings of the display. It varies by model but on my bike it was 8088. When you cycle through the settings there will be one for eco, normal and power. Try putting it to power and see if it is making the climb.

Edit: Here is a video showing the procedure.

I would more doubt the controller than the motor.
Thanks for the reply. I almost always use power 6. This happens on not very steep hills that the bike has always gone up easily, maybe slowing a bit, sometimes I drop a few gears to make it easier on my poor old legs! I’ve been doing this 8 mile route to work every morning and evening for 2 years now, and it only recently this has started to happen. On weekends I do tow a tag-along with a small but stocky person on board! (dear daughter with Downs). Our combined weight is probably 20 stone……I did wonder if this was putting too much strain on the motor. It’s perfectly fine along the flat, but those long slow hills are very annoying now whereas they used to be easy!

Last edited:
Does the display go off momentaily as well? If so, it could be voltage sag on the battery at high current levels when going uphill. If you drop below LVC, either the BMS or Controller will shut down until voltage recovers
The display doesn’t even flicker. Although the cutting out does seem to happen more after 20 minutes into a journey, which made me wonder if the battery was okay. The display still shows 4 or 5 bars! I’ve done 3000 miles on it; should I expect things to start breaking down now?

Thanks for the reply. I almost always use power 6. This happens on not very steep hills that the bike has always gone up easily, maybe slowing a bit, sometimes I drop a few gears to make it easier on my poor old legs! I’ve been doing this 8 mile route to work every morning and evening for 2 years now, and it only recently this has started to happen. On weekends I do tow a tag-along with a small but stocky person on board! (dear daughter with Downs). Our combined weight is probably 20 stone……I did wonder if this was putting too much strain on the motor. It’s perfectly fine along the flat, but those long slow hills are very annoying now whereas they used to be easy!

Before replacing parts I would suggest you enter the secret menu and see if you are in eco or normal mode and go one step higher. With supply shortages, it might be difficult to get a new controller.

Back