Connected app; on-board navigation

And, another feature of the connected app might be to show battery charge level, range estimates, etc.

Ideally we don't need to do a custom display but rather do the app route. BLE is on our near term roadmap.

I would love for an app to be able to replace the display so that we could simply mount our phones on the bike and have everything we need at our fingertips (biking info, maps, music, et cetera).

Except we should have a choice of using a simple display as well. Not all of us, including me, all the time, wants our $1k phone mounted on the handlebar.

(Disclaimer: I don't have a $1k phone. But, still...)

Except we should have a choice of using a simple display as well. Not all of us, including me, all the time, wants our $1k phone mounted on the handlebar.

(Disclaimer: I don't have a $1k phone. But, still...)
I suppose that the best of both worlds would be the ability to swap them (display and/or phone) out at will depending on our riding needs on any given day/weather condition.

I suppose that the best of both worlds would be the ability to swap them (display and/or phone) out at will depending on our riding needs on any given day/weather condition.
Well, I'm sure most of us has some old phone lying around that they can be solely used for bike display. There's really no way to satisfy everyone's preferences in all areas. My take is that any company's goal should be to try to satisfy most of the people most of the time, not few people all of the time. 🤔

Additionally, there will continue to be innovations and new features that become more commonplace and it's impossible to fully future proof a product. Otherwise, no company can stay in business. :)

Not cool advocating for your preference at the expense of someone else's, @byunbee :mad:

No, I do not have an old phone lying around. I certainly ain't going to run a cellular line through an old phone just to make use of some of the potential connected features like navigation that require a cellular connection.

The point of the Bosch displays is that they can serve as a remote display for functionality provided by a mobile app running on your phone, which can stay protected in your pocket/bag.

+1 on the phone app. It'd be nice to have an option for USB charging for the long distance rides.

Is there a roadmap for a GSM version too? Or just BLE? GSM would add location tracking and remote monitoring that you couldn't get with BLE.

Yes, I want a mobile app too. I just don’t want to have to be forced to use my phone as a display for the bike, risking damage to an expensive device versus a presumably much-cheaper-to-replace dedicated display.

Not cool advocating for your preference at the expense of someone else's, @byunbee :mad:

No, I do not have an old phone lying around. I certainly ain't going to run a cellular line through an old phone just to make use of some of the potential connected features like navigation that require a cellular connection.

The point of the Bosch displays is that they can serve as a remote display for functionality provided by a mobile app running on your phone, which can stay protected in your pocket/bag.
I wasn't advocating my preference....😓 Of course it would be cool if we had a display similar to what Bosch's offering.

My point is that you are looking for the latest tech that a multi-billion dollar company has probably spent millions developing over many months (years?) that hasn't even been released yet. 😑

I don't think it's reasonable to expect Watt Wagons to produce something similar at this stage. When technology catches up to mainstream, which it always does over time, that might be something that can be made available to WW customers. But the current option of looking into offering something with similar features via phone app is a good alternative in the meantime that most other boutique bike companies don't.

I'm not sure why that should make you upset. Is it because I'm not "advocating" your preference? 🤔

Whats the deal with garmin displays? I know very little about it but do the bike spec garmin units have intergration with some ebike systems? I may be wrong but I think I heard or read this somewhere. And they have some other pretty cool functions like radar to let you know if there is traffic behind you etc.
LoL my smart phone is only worth £150 but I still would not want to use it as a standalone display, But I see the use for commuting on the occasions you need sat nav.
I was going to add a detachable mount for my phone for the one in a hundred trips I need this function.
I personally do not think that riding with earphones is a safe thing to do most of the time tbh so I would not use it for media.
Offroad and some of the weather conditions I ride in, means I want to have something relitively cheap and hard mounted on my handlebars rather than attached by friction like most phone mountings.
I am saying that it would not be a good idea for my situation but everyones needs are different so I'm open for more options and choice on the market.
To utilise the phone for firmware updates and changing the tuning settings etc would be cool, but I would also like the functionality to do this with my laptop as well.

I wasn't advocating my preference....😓 Of course it would be cool if we had a display similar to what Bosch's offering.

My point is that you are looking for the latest tech that a multi-billion dollar company has probably spent millions developing over many months (years?) that hasn't even been released yet. 😑

I don't think it's reasonable to expect Watt Wagons to produce something similar at this stage. When technology catches up to mainstream, which it always does over time, that might be something that can be made available to WW customers. But the current option of looking into offering something with similar features via phone app is a good alternative in the meantime that most other boutique bike companies don't.

I'm not sure why that should make you upset. Is it because I'm not "advocating" your preference? 🤔
and what about my idea of subcutaneous satellite controller with a big mother board in Pushkar's basement?

and what about my idea of subcutaneous satellite controller with a big mother board in Pushkar's basement?
The motherboard is subcutaneous and the controller still resides inside the motor!

Get your facts straight man! 😎

@pushkar is working with Elon Musk to become the sole ebike distributor that connects to the 200 satellites that are launched by SpaceX to provide the real-time Nav data and internet connection to all Watt Wagon products. Btw, Netflix will be included as part of the service when you sign up on the annual plan as a bonus. 😏

But sad to say, this is still at least 3 months out and we will not be able to enjoy it this summer.😭

Ravi posted this on the Zen forum about the new Bosch Nyon display, but I thought it would be worthwhile to share here. This is obviously a native display, but I think it shows what the power of an app based display could do (since @byunbee correctly pointed out that WW isn't a billion euro company).

Ravi posted this on the Zen forum about the new Bosch Nyon display, but I thought it would be worthwhile to share here. This is obviously a native display, but I think it shows what the power of an app based display could do (since @byunbee correctly pointed out that WW isn't a billion euro company).

Another key point to add is that Bosch is a motor manufacturer, while Watt Wagons is an ebike builder that bring together quality components that are available to bring together a quality package.

Back