Choosing a first ebike

1steve7301

Hi, I live in Gilford and after major knee surgery this past January I am looking to buy my first ebike. I have done a ton of research and am trying to narrow down my purchase. My primary use will be hunting with it here in the central part of the state but also up north in Pittsburg where my camp is located. I will be riding mostly logging roads that would be passable by a truck. I would like to save some money an purchase a hub drive bike but my research suggests that a hub drive is not suitable for climbing hills. The problem I am having is that what defines hills?? I have no idea if a hub drive would handle the hills that a truck would take or not. Any suggestions by folks that ride here in NH would be greatly appreciated. Also, I am dealing with the new very bad definition of a class 2 bike here in NH. Most bikes are at least 750 watts which are not classified as a class 2 bike here.

Pretty sure you can program most Bafang 750watt rear hub drives to 749 watts nominal and the same for speed limit as needed to comply.

How heavy are you and how much weight do you plan to carry? What is your budget?

My geared hub drive will carry me & 60 lb groceries, 310 lb gross, up 15% grades. 7/8" rise on a 6" level.
DD hub drives are quite different. Direct drive, no gears. Most posters everywhere cannot tell the difference between the two types, but I can. I own one of each. The 1000 w DD will get me up the hills but uses twice the watthours at low speeds up hills. I have 77 hills in 30 miles so I removed the DD hub drive.
My 48v geared hub drive is no longer sold in the US, but the Mac12t is. I bought one but haven't tried it out yet. No geared hub drive can be run at full watts up steep grades for 15 minutes straight. Will burn them up. We have rolling hills in Indiana; my geared hub drive has 4000 miles on it.

Thanks for the replies and information. I had already thought of reprograming the motor to comply but I have to read the law more closely to make sure If I do that its legal. I had a Rambo dealer in the state tell me that Fish and Game is not bothering with ebikes, but I do not want to invest in one that eventually I cannot use. I think I am definitely leaning toward a hub drive motor now. Has anyone here in NH had an issue running a 750 watt bike? And, does anyone think if an effort were made to change the silly law to reflect the federal guidelines that it would get support from the ebike community?

Last edited:
Back