Can the Dolphin 2.3 inch tire be fitted on the Volado rims?

DrJay

I would like to have the increased stability and comfort of the Dolphin 2.3s over the Volador 1.9s. Does anyone know if they can be fitted to the existing Volador rims. Thanks

Not sure. The bottle neck (without fenders) would likely be clearance at top of fork and chainstay/seatpost. Dolphin tires are 20x 2.35” which is just a hair or two shy of 20x 2.40”, which has a lot more options from BMX world (though not necessarily designed for high speed).

Not sure. The bottle neck (without fenders) would likely be clearance at top of fork and chainstay/seatpost. Dolphin tires are 20x 2.35” which is just a hair or two shy of 20x 2.40”, which has a lot more options from BMX world (though not necessarily designed for high speed).
Thanks for the input. I did not install the fenders on the Volador and I think the clearance from the chain stays seems adequate. But good point on the top of the front fork. That could be the sticking point.

EBR's review details suggest the forks and chainstays between our models are identical. I'd go for it. You are already running 20" x 1.95" setup which is less than 1/2 an inch total and only 0.20 of an inch shy either side of 2.40", that's nothing. Don't forget to upsize slightly larger matching inner tubes with tires, to avoid problems.

When my Dolphin's OEM tires wear out, I'm already looking at:

Schwalbe Super Moto-X 20" x 2.40"

OR

Vans by Cult 20" x 2.40" Classic Waffle in Black

I don't have a lot of water-shedding needs to deal with, so the fun and aesthetic of Van waffles might win over practicality.

Attachments

• 61mBxbkMI5L._AC_SL1100_.jpg
    61mBxbkMI5L._AC_SL1100_.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 459
  • vans-tire-black1_720x.jpg
    vans-tire-black1_720x.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 425
EBR's review details suggest the forks and chainstays between our models are identical. I'd go for it. You are already running 20" x 1.95" setup which is less than 1/2 an inch total and only 0.20 of an inch shy either side of 2.40", that's nothing. Don't forget to upsize slightly larger matching inner tubes with tires, to avoid problems.

When my Dolphin's OEM tires wear out, I'm already looking at:

Schwalbe Super Moto-X 20" x 2.40"

OR

Vans by Cult 20" x 2.40" Classic Waffle in Black

I don't have a lot of water-shedding needs to deal with, so the fun and aesthetic of Van waffles might win over practicality.

Thanks for the input. I agree as I measured the chainstay and fork and felt there was enough room. Curiously, I asked The same question of Qualisports and they immediately said no because the tires were larger without any real explanation.

It made a world of difference upgrading the tires on the Volador to Schwalbe Marathon Plus, though they were thinner than the stock tires. Far more comfortable and stable ride, absorbs the bumps, better traction all around, plus they're highly puncture resistant.

It made a world of difference upgrading the tires on the Volador to Schwalbe Marathon Plus, though they were thinner than the stock tires. Far more comfortable and stable ride, absorbs the bumps, better traction all around, plus they're highly puncture resistant.
Which Schwalbe Marathon Plus tires did you get?

I was finally able to get my LBS to install the Schwalbe Super Moto X 20x2.4 tires on my 2019 Volador. What a difference over the stock tire! Highly recommend doing this if you want better handling and ride quality. Turns out to be a fantastic upgrade. If I were buying new today I would buy the Qualisports Dolphin for the upgraded tires and battery.

I was finally able to get my LBS to install the Schwalbe Super Moto X 20x2.4 tires on my 2019 Volador. What a difference over the stock tire! Highly recommend doing this if you want better handling and ride quality. Turns out to be a fantastic upgrade. If I were buying new today I would buy the Qualisports Dolphin for the upgraded tires and battery.
Did you get SUPER MOTO-X HS 439?

I don’t know beyond Super Moto X but these are Ebike rated, have 3mm green guard puncture protection, reinforced side walls. Tire pressure recommended @ 30-60 psi. I run them at 40 psi. Very comfortable.

e

I don’t know beyond Super Moto X but these are Ebike rated, have 3mm green guard puncture protection, reinforced side walls. Tire pressure recommended @ 30-60 psi. I run them at 40 psi. Very comfortable.
I think that's the HS 439.

Back