Battery casing weather protection while traveling

garmp

Region
USA
Recently purchased two Comfort Cruisers and plan to carry them on the rear of our motorhome. I was going to get a cover, but found that it could be more problematic than it is worth. By that I mean it would totally obscure our tail lights and license plate. It would require additional expense in the form of a trailer tail light configuration to attach to the cover along with a license plate display of some sort. Not to mention the hassle of hooking up and removing if we wish to drive to sight see or such. I have also read that many covers easily flap about in the wind and can chafe & rub the paint.
So my solution is: I have 4 waterproof bags which easily go over each side of the handlebar controls and tie in place. My concern is the battery casing after I remove the battery. What can I use to cover the opening of the battery slide to prevent moisture & other stuff from finding its way inside & messing up the contacts. Or is that not a concern?
Thanks for your thoughts.

Maybe a neoprene sheet and some velcro can do the trick, with some dieeletric grease on the contacts....no need to overthink it!

I hope to see some further opinions on this topic, as I also will be carrying yet to be purchased e-bikes on the back of our motorhome on camping trips. While most of our trips are in the summer, and we try to plan for good weather there's always a chance of being forced to travel in rainy weather.

The inside of the Pedego battery sleeve on the Comfort Cruiser, as well as several other models, looks like this:

P1080718b.jpg
The battery contacts are located in the rear, above the floor of the sleeve and pretty much out of harms way. Any debris that accumulates inside can easily be cleaned out which is something you should do anyway on a regular basis. If you are really concerned, stuff an empty plastic trash can liner inside far enough where it won't blow out.

I've been transporting my three Pedego's on an open rack for 3 seasons now, over several thousand miles and have had no issues.

I do use these heavy, snap on canvas sleeves to protect the handlebar ends:

Pic 8.jpg 61VOMOHKirL._SL1200_.jpg

I tried several types of tie on nylon protectors but they all shredded over time from flapping in the wind. The heavy canvas holds up much better.

I also remove the seatpost from the bike when transporting to reduce weight and prevent theft. On some bikes, including the Pedego, the seat tube is open to the bottom bracket and dirt & moisture, entering through the open seat tube, can get into the BB and foul the bearings. To prevent this, I put a snug fitting vinyl cap over the open seat tube.

P1070173a.jpg

The inside of the Pedego battery sleeve on the Comfort Cruiser, as well as several other models, looks like this:

View attachment 76306
The battery contacts are located in the rear, above the floor of the sleeve and pretty much out of harms way. Any debris that accumulates inside can easily be cleaned out which is something you should do anyway on a regular basis. If you are really concerned, stuff an empty plastic trash can liner inside far enough where it won't blow out.

I've been transporting my three Pedego's on an open rack for 3 seasons now, over several thousand miles and have had no issues.

I do use these heavy, snap on canvas sleeves to protect the handlebar ends:

View attachment 76309 View attachment 76307

I tried several types of tie on nylon protectors but they all shredded over time from flapping in the wind. The heavy canvas holds up much better.

I also remove the seatpost from the bike when transporting to reduce weight and prevent theft. On some bikes, including the Pedego, the seat tube is open to the bottom bracket and dirt & moisture, entering through the open seat tube, can get into the BB and foul the bearings. To prevent this, I put a snug fitting vinyl cap over the open seat tube.

View attachment 76308
Where did you get the canvas sleeves and how do you keep them from slipping off when the bike is transported on a bike rack? Thanks in advance for more info.

Where did you get the canvas sleeves and how do you keep them from slipping off when the bike is transported on a bike rack? Thanks in advance for more info.
The sleeves are available on Amazon:

They have elastic on one end and a snap closure on the other. In my case, they hold the sleeve in place while on the rack.
If they are too loose, wrap it with a mini bungee cord such as these:
https://www.amazon.com/Lionma-83295...9Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Back