Bafang 48v 500w front hub motor & 52v battery?

Clyde

So the kickbike is here, and I've ordered up a Bafang 48v, 500w front motor kit (100mm dropout spacing) that should arrive in the next few weeks. So now I need to figure out what battery to use. As my 52v 14s6p pack for my mid-drive bike is arriving this week, and I've got a nice 52v smart charger (80, 90, 100%) from Luna, I'd like to run the hub motor on a 52v battery, as well. Will this work? Would I be able to run the battery with a full charge, or would I need to undercharge it to 80 or 90%?

TIA

It will be fine 48V (54.6V) and 52V (58.8V) are super close, it won't be an issue.

I figured as much, based on the BBSHD's compatibility with 52v, but wanted to make sure I didn't blow anything up. Thanks!

Yeah. Someday I'll pick up a new controller and overvolt the BBSHD, but adding heat to a hub motor is no bueno, and I wanted to make sure I wouldn't start a fire!

Bafang locked out 52V batteries in firmware early this year. A real nightmare, now shipping 48 and 52v versions. They’ve long been down on 52V favoring 48V. We’ve repaired and opened up overvolted BBSHD and Ludicrous motors. Significant early damage. They become unreliable but some are willing to run with them anyway.

DD motors with Statoraide and added cooling fins are more tolerant of heat and can dissipate better than mid drives with integrated controllers.

Bafang locked out 52V batteries in firmware early this year. A real nightmare, now shipping 48 and 52v versions. They’ve long been down on 52V favoring 48V. We’ve repaired and opened up overvolted BBSHD and Ludicrous motors. Significant early damage. They become unreliable but some are willing to run with them anyway.

Wait, what? Just received a BBSHD last month, and my 52v battery arrives on Tuesday. Have I screwed up?

Wait, what? Just received a BBSHD last month, and my 52v battery arrives on Tuesday. Have I screwed up?
No, and hopefully Bafang hasn't and you get a motor ready for 52V.

Back