Aventon Level hill climb

jomo11

Region
Canada
I have a Aventon Level and my friend has a Aventon Pace 500. We ride almost every day together and when we come to a very steep hill we both change to pas 2. He can make it to the top in 3rd and I have to be in 1st gear and can't get to the top without getting a error code, overheating. I know the Level weights more than the pace 500 and we both are about the same weight but I can't see that this make that much of a difference. The voltages are about the same on the display at that time. My bike shop thinks it is the bike weight difference but was not sure. Is the Pace 500 a better hill climber than the Level or do you think I have a problem with my e-bike.

I have a Aventon Level and my friend has a Aventon Pace 500. We ride almost every day together and when we come to a very steep hill we both change to pas 2. He can make it to the top in 3rd and I have to be in 1st gear and can't get to the top without getting a error code, overheating. I know the Level weights more than the pace 500 and we both are about the same weight but I can't see that this make that much of a difference. The voltages are about the same on the display at that time. My bike shop thinks it is the bike weight difference but was not sure. Is the Pace 500 a better hill climber than the Level or do you think I have a problem with my e-bike.
Go back to the hill with your friend and switch bikes then do the climb, if your friend gets to the top first without an error code you know your fat and out of shape. Both bikes seem to have the same motor but i dont know about the controller.

If I wasn't fat and out of shape I probably wouldn't have bought an ebike in the first place. If I had bought something other than an Aventon Level then I might be out riding instead of surfing this forum.

If I wasn't fat and out of shape I probably wouldn't have bought an ebike in the first place. If I had bought something other than an Aventon Level then I might be out riding instead of surfing this forum.
Or cooling down (sitting in front of a fan) after a ride during a heat advisory. An early ride sounded like a good idea, and went well actually, but after getting back that breeze you get while riding is no longer there. THAT's when you question just how smart going on a ride like that really was! -Al

My wife has a Pace 500 and I have a Level and even a not so steep hill can cause the Level to overheat - I'm not that fat either (220 lbs) - so attribute it to a really not great bike - only works good on flat ground from my experience and the range is far less than the claimed 40 mile average even when kept at 2-3 pas. Pace 500 seems like it does a lot better up hills but is also a lot lighter. After 150 miles though the Pace 500 battery just quit - so overall both bikes are kind of trash.

My wife has a Pace 500 and I have a Level and even a not so steep hill can cause the Level to overheat - I'm not that fat either (220 lbs) - so attribute it to a really not great bike - only works good on flat ground from my experience and the range is far less than the claimed 40 mile average even when kept at 2-3 pas. Pace 500 seems like it does a lot better up hills but is also a lot lighter. After 150 miles though the Pace 500 battery just quit - so overall both bikes are kind of trash.
Sounds like sour grapes here. If it won't climb the hills you expected it to, wondering about how much "due diligence" was done regarding that ability prior to purchase? Did you just decide to go with the least expensive option (vs. a little more expensive mid drive with way more climbing ability), or did you really think this bike would climb the hills?

All bikes are compromises. You can't complain about a bike that won't climb a hill that's clearly way too much for it. If it's not going to get the job done for you, don't leave it sitting in a dark corner of the garage. Consider selling it. A bike that new shouldn't be hard to sell. Then get a bike that has the climbing power you need. They ARE available, and they aren't THAT much more than the Level was.

Sounds like sour grapes here. If it won't climb the hills you expected it to, wondering about how much "due diligence" was done regarding that ability prior to purchase? Did you just decide to go with the least expensive option (vs. a little more expensive mid drive with way more climbing ability), or did you really think this bike would climb the hills?

All bikes are compromises. You can't complain about a bike that won't climb a hill that's clearly way too much for it. If it's not going to get the job done for you, don't leave it sitting in a dark corner of the garage. Consider selling it. A bike that new shouldn't be hard to sell. Then get a bike that has the climbing power you need. They ARE available, and they aren't THAT much more than the Level was.
Right - sour grapes when a battery completely fails after less than 150 miles - pretty stupid comment. The support was supposed to be good but they no longer take phone calls and chat is only to direct you to forms to fill out to get an email back. That’s not a compromise that is a piece junk bike and horrible customer service. Bought 2 bikes - 1 is not good but still works the other has a dead battery and virtually no way to get support.

Right - sour grapes when a battery completely fails after less than 150 miles - pretty stupid comment. The support was supposed to be good but they no longer take phone calls and chat is only to direct you to forms to fill out to get an email back. That’s not a compromise that is a piece junk bike and horrible customer service. Bought 2 bikes - 1 is not good but still works the other has a dead battery and virtually no way to get support.
Maybe, until you consider how unusual something like that might be. How did you arrive at that "dead battery" conclusion? What, exactly have you done in the way of troubleshooting?

Maybe, until you consider how unusual something like that might be. How did you arrive at that "dead battery" conclusion? What, exactly have you done in the way of troubleshooting?
the battery was at 80% when the Pace 500 shut off and wouldn’t turn back on. The battery won’t show any lights like it always has. The battery also doesn’t charge when it was plugged in - charger stays green - would always go to red til a full charge. Battery had been used for 5 miles before quitting so it was definitely not full. Unplugged and plugged in every connection on the bike related to the battery or display. Believe it voids the warranty if you take the battery apart so waiting on support to email me back. Phone support is not available from Aventon or even chat.

the battery was at 80% when the Pace 500 shut off and wouldn’t turn back on. The battery won’t show any lights like it always has. The battery also doesn’t charge when it was plugged in - charger stays green - would always go to red til a full charge. Battery had been used for 5 miles before quitting so it was definitely not full. Unplugged and plugged in every connection on the bike related to the battery or display. Believe it voids the warranty if you take the battery apart so waiting on support to email me back. Phone support is not available from Aventon or even chat.
Just trying to lend a hand. I don't know one way or the other, so wondering, do you know/have you checked to see if there's a fuse? If those stupid lights won't come on, I think maybe the problem is in the battery, but there's a 99% chance it's something simple. Don't blame you for not wanting to take it apart.

Is the charger for your wife's bike the same as yours? If so it might be worth trying her charger to see if you possibly have a charger problem.? Or if the chargers are the same. Will your charger work on her bike?Just an idea. I'm not familiar with either bike ,I have an Aventure. I'm guessing your like me. No close Aventon LBS? I don't have one in my state. I have 2 in 2 bordering states. Approx. 200 miles to one. .300 miles to the other.

Back