Anyone else getting older?

rdv

Fitness wise as well as numerically, that is. New here and not sure where to post my questions regarding road ebike motors, so here I go.

Was quite satisfied with my fitness into the upper sixties, declining and becoming exasperated at 72.
Labored breathing, rather than the legs, is the primary problem. Have to keep the effort low and controlled for at least the first hour of a ride, take extended grades of 5-6% at a slow measured pace, barely crawl up a 8-10% grade in a 30ring/32cog, and stop for a few minutes to restore some energy before taking on anything steeper. The lungs/chest start aching punishingly as soon as a exert myself a bit too much, forcing me to back off (or blow up entirely), even though lungs and heart are in good medical condition.

Still, soldiering on, it wasn't until a couple of weeks ago that my brain caught up, and started looking at electric road bikes. Still in the learning process, but focusing on bikes like the Specialized Creo SL Comp and Bianchi Aria (because of their road manners and flatter seat tube angles), and the respective SL1.1 and Ebikemotion X35 motors.

I'd like to know more about the motors from actual users, if possible, because most reviews leave out some important details regarding noise and power. Some allude to intrusive noise by the 1.1, but 1) is that mostly at maximum revs and power, or throughout the assist range? 2) Is the X35 also comparatively noisy at max output, or throughout the range? What is the actual experience? A Granfondo review suggests the X35 fades away at slow speeds on steep climbs (which is hard to fathom, since it's when the assist is most needed): 3) What is the actual climbing experience with the 1.1 and x35? Reviews also suggest that considerable effort is still used, but that greater speed is attained uphill. However, my goal would be to reduce the effort and spare the lung punishment by mostly foregoing faster speed. 4) Is that balance readily achievable?

Any and all insights will be greatly appreciated.

welcome to the site.
I'm age 70. I haven't noticed any shortness of breath, or heart problems, but I certainly cough a lot more this year. Having a virus for 137 days didn't help anything, but now that's over the coughing & plegm builds up especially late at night when i should be sleeping. When I overdo it on steep hills, I "run out of breath" exactly as I did as a child, without my heart overrevving or anything. BTW, after spending $7000 testing my heart prior to shoulder surgery in 2017, the cardiologist summarized by saying "there is nothing wrong with your heart". Just runs 110 bpm when I'm mad about the hospital wasting medicare money on my heart, when my problem is my rotator cuff. With that as a background, I stress my heart/lungs as hard as I can in the summers, knowing I'll backslide in the winter when 30 min on an exercycle is all I can stand.
My Mac12 geared hub motor is very quiet, my knobby tires are noisier. I ride knobbies on road for the excellent trash/flat resistance, not because I need the traction. Mac has no problem getting 160 lb me, 90 lb of bike & 80 lb of supplies up 15% grades out near my summer camp.

Welcome rdv, I can give you my limited experience and observations about quietness. I ride an Aventon Pace 500 watt rear wheel drive motor. I can say that in relation to my hearing, I do hear a mild hum (Not annoying). I have ridden 2 mid drives which were extremely quiet. i am not bothered by the hum coming from my bike, where you might be. im sure others will respond and when you narrow it down to two or three, find a dealer close to home and test fro yourself. Mid drives cost more and most are torque driven very nice), which pedals more like a non powered bike. Good luck in you search and always ride safe.

Last edited:
I just turned 70 this past week. I had a major widow maker heart attack three years ago that should have killed me. Had stents put in but sustained substantial damage to my left ventricle with significant scar tissue. After two months of cardiac rehab, I started riding an ebike. After a year on the bike I had recovered the endurance fitness and vitality that I hadn't had since my early 40s. I can ride fifty miles at a good pace with sustained heart rate around 100 bpm with peaks while climbing in the 140s. My heart settles right down as well. I am only somewhat short of breath climbing a steep hill.

If I had the symptoms you describe I would be seeing my doctor right away...with a real sense of urgency. I would be asking for a referral to a good cardiologist. Don't hesitate. Don't mess around. Don't listen to people who advise you to just wait or not to trust doctors. Your symptoms sound like those of several, possible, serious, cardio-pulmonary issues. I don't see an ebike fixing the issues you cited.

See a doctor first, then worry about the right ebike.

My latter 60s have been greatly assisted by my Trek Allant+7. I had open heart surgery a few years back and was struggling to bike up hills. The Bosch Performance Line CX is plenty powerful enough to help me up any hill I’ve encountered at whatever pace I’m needing at the moment. It rides really well in most every situation I’ve encountered, including pavement, gravel, grass, and even a short trial run on a single track course in Wisconsin. The CX is a highly acclaimed motor that is a bit noisy but I certainly don’t even notice that noise anymore. Overall, I love this ebike and it has been totally reliable for almost 900 miles now. I even bought a Lowstep version of the same bike recently for my wife and she loves hers too.
99E4CE9D-571B-45EB-BCB7-364C818C08AB.jpeg

I just turned 70 this past week. I had a major widow maker heart attack three years ago that should have killed me. Had stents put in but sustained substantial damage to my left ventricle with significant scar tissue. After two months of cardiac rehab, I started riding an ebike. After a year on the bike I had recovered the endurance fitness and vitality that I hadn't had since my early 40s. I can ride fifty miles at a good pace with sustained heart rate around 100 bpm with peaks while climbing in the 140s. My heart settles right down as well. I am only somewhat short of breath climbing a steep hill.

If I had the symptoms you describe I would be seeing my doctor right away...with a real sense of urgency. I would be asking for a referral to a good cardiologist. Don't hesitate. Don't mess around. Don't listen to people who advise you to just wait or not to trust doctors. Your symptoms sound like those of several, possible, serious, cardio-pulmonary issues. I don't see an ebike fixing the issues you cited.

See a doctor first, then worry about the right ebike.
Thanks for the feedback. I might have made my condition sound worse than it is, though I'm not sure how to express it differently. Didn't mean to make the post center on health, but I'll clear that up. I saw a pulmonary doctor 18 months ago. The lungs are fine. He had me see a cardiologist, and the heart is fine: ran the stress test to 160 beats and was told it was better than 90% my age. My conditioning may not be superior but not totally flat as I do get a 20-25 mi midweek ride and 35-50 weekend ride in regularly on the road, though not at high exertion. Really meant to make the post about the two specific motors and their characteristics, since I believe they would suffice for my current needs.

Thanks for the feedback. I might have made my condition sound worse than it is, though I'm not sure how to express it differently. Didn't mean to make the post center on health, but I'll clear that up. I saw a pulmonary doctor 18 months ago. The lungs are fine. He had me see a cardiologist, and the heart is fine: ran the stress test to 160 beats and was told it was better than 90% my age. My conditioning may not be superior but not totally flat as I do get a 20-25 mi midweek ride and 35-50 weekend ride in regularly on the road, though not at high exertion. Really meant to make the post about the two specific motors and their characteristics, since I believe they would suffice for my current needs.
Hi, I'm a newbie here, but responding about motor noise.
I have the Aria E Road, and I'm happy to say that there is very little noise from the hub motor. You can hear it, but its not intrusive, I haven't ridden with anyone else so I can't give you a third party view.
The bike is awesome, it is quick and very good to ride without the motor assist, I am venturing further and over bigger hills on each ride I do.
I am 67, with dodgy knee's, I don't have your problem but trying to get back to fitness after serious Cancer 5 years ago (I'm clear by the way)

Fitness wise as well as numerically, that is. New here and not sure where to post my questions regarding road ebike motors, so here I go.

Was quite satisfied with my fitness into the upper sixties, declining and becoming exasperated at 72.
Labored breathing, rather than the legs, is the primary problem. Have to keep the effort low and controlled for at least the first hour of a ride, take extended grades of 5-6% at a slow measured pace, barely crawl up a 8-10% grade in a 30ring/32cog, and stop for a few minutes to restore some energy before taking on anything steeper. The lungs/chest start aching punishingly as soon as a exert myself a bit too much, forcing me to back off (or blow up entirely), even though lungs and heart are in good medical condition.

Still, soldiering on, it wasn't until a couple of weeks ago that my brain caught up, and started looking at electric road bikes. Still in the learning process, but focusing on bikes like the Specialized Creo SL Comp and Bianchi Aria (because of their road manners and flatter seat tube angles), and the respective SL1.1 and Ebikemotion X35 motors.

I'd like to know more about the motors from actual users, if possible, because most reviews leave out some important details regarding noise and power. Some allude to intrusive noise by the 1.1, but 1) is that mostly at maximum revs and power, or throughout the assist range? 2) Is the X35 also comparatively noisy at max output, or throughout the range? What is the actual experience? A Granfondo review suggests the X35 fades away at slow speeds on steep climbs (which is hard to fathom, since it's when the assist is most needed): 3) What is the actual climbing experience with the 1.1 and x35? Reviews also suggest that considerable effort is still used, but that greater speed is attained uphill. However, my goal would be to reduce the effort and spare the lung punishment by mostly foregoing faster speed. 4) Is that balance readily achievable?

Any and all insights will be greatly appreciated.
NOPE! Iḿ getting younger!

welcome to the site.
I'm age 70. I haven't noticed any shortness of breath, or heart problems, but I certainly cough a lot more this year. Having a virus for 137 days didn't help anything, but now that's over the coughing & plegm builds up especially late at night when i should be sleeping. When I overdo it on steep hills, I "run out of breath" exactly as I did as a child, without my heart overrevving or anything. BTW, after spending $7000 testing my heart prior to shoulder surgery in 2017, the cardiologist summarized by saying "there is nothing wrong with your heart". Just runs 110 bpm when I'm mad about the hospital wasting medicare money on my heart, when my problem is my rotator cuff. With that as a background, I stress my heart/lungs as hard as I can in the summers, knowing I'll backslide in the winter when 30 min on an exercycle is all I can stand.
My Mac12 geared hub motor is very quiet, my knobby tires are noisier. I ride knobbies on road for the excellent trash/flat resistance, not because I need the traction. Mac has no problem getting 160 lb me, 90 lb of bike & 80 lb of supplies up 15% grades out near my summer camp.

I had the coughing and phlegm, even some labored breathing especially when sleeping including some loud snoring according to my wife, had it for several years. My Doctor discovered a Hiatal hernia in my esophagus, outpatient surgery and all that crap went away literally overnight.

might ask your Dr. about it. I'm only 50, but apparently it is an age related thing for those 50+

I had the coughing and phlegm,

might ask your Dr. about it. I'm only 50, but apparently it is an age related thing for those 50+

I've had fluid in the lungs since infancy. I just deal with it. Gets worse in dry summer heat in the city with the high ozone levels. Fortunately I have a summer camp 200' higher in the hills where the ozone is not excessive and my breathing is much better. I had to leave Houston; the pollution was causing too much breathing problems in my twenties. Also the rear end collisions were driving me crazy.
My nadir was age 58 when I quit working. My weight was 213, waist 36, rest pulse 84, bp 160/80, cloresterol 210 A1c 7.8. I started riding the bike a lot then. I have since lost 50 lb, waist 32, rest pulse 66, bp 135/72 cloresterol 135 A1c 6.8. Mainly the warts on my forehead show my age. The fat in my chin & cheeks melted off too. I feel a lot better than back then. I need to work on strength in my arms & core; the legs are fine. More pilates exercises (boring boing!)

Back