Any eBikers familiar with Acadia National Park

My last trip to Acadia in mid May was 5 years ago. The weather is tough to predict in coastal Maine during May. I was there 4 days and the temp varied from the mid 40's in the morning to the low 60's in the afternoon. Most of the carriage roads & trails were open but wet in places. Portions of a few were closed due to soft spots. As the park ranger said, it is very unpredictable that time of year. May is a good time to visit Acadia for the lack of crowds but not necessarily for good weather.

Try calling the folks at the Acadia Inn a week before your visit. They usually have a good idea of the trail conditions since a lot of their business depends on it.

If your talking about Acadia in Bar Harbor then I can't help you. I live a couple of miles from Acadia in the Gouldsboro and Winter Harbor area. That section has a nice one way drive along the ocean as well as groomed gravel bike and hiking trails. There are also campgrounds at the entrance to the park although I'm not sure whether they would be open that early or possibly not at all due to covid. There are no hotels but several B&Bs and home rentals in the area. May is still pretty chilly especially near the water. The good news is that the trails will be practically deserted. I got my first bike last Apr. and often saw no one on the trails especially on a week day and few on a weekend. That was true all summer and into the fall. There were of course travel restrictions etc. due to covid then.
Where are these groomed gravel bike trails in the Gouldsboro area?

Thanks to all for the suggestions. I'll be going in 3 weeks. The carriage roads are all open in the park, so thats good.

I'll be driving up from Philly, and spending the first night in Portland to split up the drive. Other than portland and acadia, are there any other good suggestions for cities /parks/good attractions in maine to visit?

Where are these groomed gravel bike trails in the Gouldsboro area?

Thanks to all for the suggestions. I'll be going in 3 weeks. The carriage roads are all open in the park, so thats good.

I'll be driving up from Philly, and spending the first night in Portland to split up the drive. Other than portland and acadia, are there any other good suggestions for cities /parks/good attractions in maine to visit?
This should give you the info you need. These trails are restricted to class 1 Ebikes. I still ride them on my Rad Rover. I just unplug my throttle which essentially makes it a class 1. I've yet to be challenged about it so have no idea how it would work out if stopped by a Park Ranger.

Thanks everybody.

I have extended my Maine vacation by two days. I am looking for another part of Maine to stay for a couple days that has nice biking and preferably somewhere to walk around as well.

My Intinerary is to drive up from philly to portland, and spend the night there. I then have two free nights that I am not sure what to do with. After, I will have 7 nights in Bar Harbor. Then, I will spend one more night in portland, before returning to philly.

Any suggestions on what to do with those two free nights? I have heard the area along the Route 1 coast by the ocean is nice, but am not at all familiar with Maine. I was also thinking of taking extra time in portland, though cities are less interesting during Covid.

kennebunkport. And lots of great rides all along coastal Maine. Just look at any cycling website.

Thanks everybody.

I have extended my Maine vacation by two days. I am looking for another part of Maine to stay for a couple days that has nice biking and preferably somewhere to walk around as well.

My Intinerary is to drive up from philly to portland, and spend the night there. I then have two free nights that I am not sure what to do with. After, I will have 7 nights in Bar Harbor. Then, I will spend one more night in portland, before returning to philly.

Any suggestions on what to do with those two free nights? I have heard the area along the Route 1 coast by the ocean is nice, but am not at all familiar with Maine. I was also thinking of taking extra time in portland, though cities are less interesting during Covid.
A few of my favorites:

Portland Head Lighthouse & Museum

Seashore Trolley Museum in Kennebunkport:

Fort McClary:

Kittery Trading Post:

Eartha, the world's largest rotating globe:

Desert of Maine:

Incredible trip. Thanks to all for their suggestions.

The hampton inn in bar harbor was the perfect location. Can bike straight from the room to the carriage roads, only have to ride on 0.2 miles of park loop road to get there. Hotel was lovely.

There were a lot of bugs mid may. I sprayed my helmet and my ortlirbs with permethrin, wore a bug net, and tucked my pants into long white socks. I still got a couple ticks, but they didn't break the clothing.

It was great because the carriage roads were desolate. I could fly down the hills without worrying about bike traffic.

This is the best bike destination i have seen in the northeast and will be back in the fall.

20210521_172305.jpg

20210520_122522.jpg

20210521_171858.jpg

20210519_122115.jpg

Nice pics. Just like where I like to ride which is about 40 miles by road and 5 miles by sea from where you are.

If you are referring to schoodic point, i rode that as well. Drove out there. Was a highlight.
That's the place. Just rode that area this afternoon. I live exactly 3.2 miles from the Bunkers Harbor entrance to the bike/hiking trails. I often ride from there to the campgrounds then the park loop road,and finally back on the trails near the park exit back to Bunkers Harbor and then back home to Prospect Harbor. Today was in the 80's which is crazy warm for this time of the year.

Back