AddMotor's phony warranty - learn from my mistake

Status
Not open for further replies.

David Unruh

After riding my Motan 550 for 104 miles, the hub motor 'spun out' of soft aluminum rear dropouts on the frame. Addmotor rejected my warranty claim because I had changed the tires. Use caution when doing business with these fine folks. There are better choices in bikes, like Rad Rover.

"Thanks for your message.The factory has checked the pcitures.
They said this damage belongs to human damage, not in the warranty .
It's so sorry that we can't hlep you for this.
Because from the pictures they knew that the tire has been changed before by personally.
The main reason is the spacer hasn't installed well, or forgot to install the spacer, so that that drop outs of frame worn down.
If we want to fix it, will need to replace the whole frame.
Please let us know what is your idea. Have a nice day!

Best regards,
Addmotor"

Addmotor cuts quality corners. Unlike other bikes using a Bafang rear geared hub motor, Addmotor doesn't bother to include an axle torque arm! Just because they sell on Amazon, it doesn't mean it's a quality bike.

Thank you for your post @David Unruh. Addmotor guarrantees a steady certain quality when our bikes leave the factory and arrive at the customers place. Of course we take responsibility for quality issues within one year. Exceptions are when the cause of the damage origins from alternation of the product or inadequate usage. If someone, for instance, opens up his iPhone to upgarde its battery because he is not satisfied with the performance. And he later figures out that the phone doesnt work anymore because the battery didn't fit the phone's configurations, the seller will also refuse to give warranty services. The same for 99% of all products on the market.
Fact is, that this never happened to original bikes from Addmotor before.

Thank you for your post @David Unruh. Addmotor guarrantees a steady certain quality when our bikes leave the factory and arrive at the customers place. Of course we take responsibility for quality issues within one year. Exceptions are when the cause of the damage origins from alternation of the product or inadequate usage. If someone, for instance, opens up his iPhone to upgarde its battery because he is not satisfied with the performance. And he later figures out that the phone doesnt work anymore because the battery didn't fit the phone's configurations, the seller will also refuse to give warranty services. The same for 99% of all products on the market.
Fact is, that this never happened to original bikes from Addmotor before.
Tires have nothing to do with poor torque protection. Shame on you. Your example is invalid. I hope the OP persues legal action.

Tires have nothing to do with poor torque protection. Shame on you. Your example is invalid. I hope the OP persues legal action.

The customer did not only change the tires, he exchanged the whole rim and for this we cannot guarantee warranty in case something gets damaged during this process.

The customer did not only change the tires, he exchanged the whole rim and for this we cannot guarantee warranty in case something gets damaged during this process.
Usually that would end a warranty. But aluminum frames definitely require torque arms, were they provided?

Usually that would end a warranty. But aluminum frames definitely require torque arms, all frames should have them. Were they provided? It appears not. I'd definitely file a claim against you.
Screen Shot 2017-12-30 at 5.48.12 AM.png
e

Did he change the motor? The issue is at the frame and axle, not at the tire or rim. Do you provide the required tightening torque setting for the axle nut in your instruction manual? Any warnings about poor tightening can cause a spin out? The frame can be fixed if you take it to a good welding shop. They can add material and with some gentle filing effort you can remake the slot. When you buy this class of manufacturing quality, you have to realize you will either be taking it to a LBS or be willing to be the bike mechanic yourself. It's easier to take when you can buy a $500 Sondors, but at great sale price of $1555 with 0% off, it starts to hurt a little when you have to put your own money into a questionable engineering effort.

Last edited:
Did he change the motor? The issue is at the frame and axle, not at the tire or rim. Do you provide the required tightening torque setting for the axle nut in your instruction manual? Any warnings about poor tightening can cause a spin out? The frame can be fixed if you take it to a good welding shop. They can add material and with some gentle filing effort you can remake the slot. When you buy this class of manufacturing quality, you have to realize you will either be taking it to a LBS or be willing to be the bike mechanic yourself. It's easier to take when you can buy a $500 Sondors, but at great sale price of $1555 with 0% off, it starts to hurt a little when you have to put your own money into a questionable engineering effort.
Thanks. I was able to find some good precision torque arms on eBay from the UK. Most of the ones I tried didn't fit the 10mm axle flats tightly enough. A $20 fix. Too bad those geniuses at AddMotor couldn't figure this out. Torque arms notwithstanding, I wouldn't consider AddMotor products in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back