Adding Motor to a Felt Verza Speed 10 Bike

Badgerfourlife

Region
USA
Hi all! Thinking about adding a mid-drive motor to a Felt Verza Speed 10 hybrid. Wondering if anyone has done this to this bike or another Felt bike, how it went, and what motor did you use (also what battery and where you mounted it). All suggestions, ideas, and comments appreciated. TIA

Looks quite feasible. There are a few mid drive motors. I've installed two TSDZ2 kits and two Bafang BBS02 kits, The install is easy. I've mounted batteries on the downtube or put them on rear racks,

The TSDZ2's are torque sensor and lower power.There is a higher power version called the TSDZ8, but it's a few pounds heavier. The BBS02 are cadence sensor and high power. Also a lower power BBS01. I suggest you read up about torque and cadence assist. Other motors include the DM01 and DM02.

Batteries can be 36 or 48 volts. I prefer the latter. The capacity is defined by the Ah. Higher Ah means a bigger battery,

It's going to cost at least $800 for a motor kit and battery, You can buy a 40 lb Aventon hub motor bike with a torque sensor for $999. There are also mid motor bikes for not much more.

Make vs Buy is pretty much a Buy for most people. I like doing the Make because it allows me to motorize some old bikes for sentimental value. I already have some batteries I can move around. so each new iteration only costs me $300-450 for a motor,

Looks quite feasible. There are a few mid drive motors. I've installed two TSDZ2 kits and two Bafang BBS02 kits, The install is easy. I've mounted batteries on the downtube or put them on rear racks,

The TSDZ2's are torque sensor and lower power.There is a higher power version called the TSDZ8, but it's a few pounds heavier. The BBS02 are cadence sensor and high power. Also a lower power BBS01. I suggest you read up about torque and cadence assist. Other motors include the DM01 and DM02.

Batteries can be 36 or 48 volts. I prefer the latter. The capacity is defined by the Ah. Higher Ah means a bigger battery,

It's going to cost at least $800 for a motor kit and battery, You can buy a 40 lb Aventon hub motor bike with a torque sensor for $999. There are also mid motor bikes for not much more.

Make vs Buy is pretty much a Buy for most people. I like doing the Make because it allows me to motorize some old bikes for sentimental value. I already have some batteries I can move around. so each new iteration only costs me $300-450 for a motor,

You are correct that buy is usually less expensive than build, but I am trying to make a bike that is comfortable and light which is a tough combination. The felt bike is 23 lbs so it is a good start. We transport our bikes quite a bit and need something I can lift

I have a couple TSDZ2 mid drives that I've switched between several bikes that I have sitting around (and I have a Yamaha mid drive gravel bike for comparison). Easy installation for anyone who has any mechanical ability. Just remove the crankset/cartridge/front derailleur from recipient bike and install the drive unit, rear wheel magnet/sensor and handlebar mounted control as well as battery of your choice, That said I'd just buy a proprietary bike with UL certification. Especially when you can get something like the Yamaha Cross Core which comes with an extra battery for $1200, while they last. Switching out the suspension fork for carbon should drop the Cross Core weight ~4 pounds and removing the battery for transport another 7 pounds making it a ~41# lift. Or something like a velotric T1 ST if you don't need as much power. TSDZ2 install adds ~7# (with OEM crankset removed) plus battery and mount which varies depending on what capacity you want. You could count on your 23# bike coming in at close to 30# without battery/mount. Even with the relatively inexpensive TSDZ2 plus battery you'd be within a few hundred of the entire cost of a new proprietary bike, with a warranty. In the event of a fire I'd rather be able to say that my bike was UL certified and have Yamaha held responsible than myself. There is a rather wide range of opinions regarding the TSDZ2 performance which may be related to how the controller has been programmed, or maybe due to individual expectations. With the current market I wouldn't choose DIY, even though I like tinkering.

Back