Actual range of XPremium?

GaryInCO

Region
USA
I'm thinking of getting an ebike. I have a 25-yr-old recumbent that I haven't been riding much recently, and I'm 66, so I'm thinking an ebike might be a good answer. The original impetus for this idea is a charity fundraiser ride that I'd like to participate in this summer. 2 days, 150 miles. I damnsure can't do 75 miles a day under my own power, but with an ebike, maybe?

It really limits your choices, though. Not many ebikes do 75+ range. The XPremium is supposed to be 100+ miles on PAS 1. Will it truly do 75 miles of mostly-flat terrain? The fundraiser ride is along the shore of Lake Michigan so there won't be much climbing.

Am I crazy to consider a 75-mile ride with an XPremium? I'd rather have 26" wheels and better suspension, but the choices are limited in my budget range, which is "as little as possible." I don't like the XPremium's handling -- feels like a tank, wobbly/noodly handling from frame flexing, etc. I prefer the XP3.0's handling but I **HATE** cadence sensors. The XPremium has a lot of things I really like: mid-drive with torque sensor & throttle, shift sensor, folding, long range, hydraulic brakes, etc. And it's very modestly priced, even new, and I know someone selling an XPremium with 100 miles on it for $1300. Hard to beat that.

Last edited:
I'm thinking of getting an ebike. I have a 25-yr-old recumbent that I haven't been riding much recently, and I'm 66, so I'm thinking an ebike might be a good answer. The original impetus for this idea is a charity fundraiser ride that I'd like to participate in this summer. 2 days, 150 miles. I damnsure can't do 75 miles a day under my own power, but with an ebike, maybe?

It really limits your choices, though. Not many ebikes do 75+ range. The XPremium is supposed to be 100+ miles on PAS 1. Will it truly do 75 miles of mostly-flat terrain? The fundraiser ride is along the shore of Lake Michigan so there won't be much climbing.

Am I crazy to consider a 75-mile ride with an XPremium? I'd rather have 26" wheels and better suspension, but the choices are limited in my budget range, which is "as little as possible." I don't like the XPremium's handling -- feels like a tank, wobbly/noodly handling from frame flexing, etc. I prefer the XP3.0's handling but I **HATE** cadence sensors. The XPremium has a lot of things I really like: mid-drive with torque sensor & throttle, folding, long range, hydraulic brakes, etc. And it's very modestly priced, even new, and I know someone selling an XPremium with 100 miles on it for $1300. Hard to beat that.
I, and likely everyone understands budget constraints these days. There are a lot of ebikes that will do 75 miles with active pedaling and keeping the speed down to 15 - 18 mph. 15 mph moving time is 5 hours for 75 miles. Add in some breaks and still only a 7 or 8 hour ride.

I don't think any price is a good deal if you don't like the bike. Low price can often turn into long term regret. Nothing more expensive than a bike that's rarely ridden.

Best of luck!

Doing the math 12mph on PAS 1 for 75 miles = 6.25 hours in the saddle. I ride 3 times a week @ 3 hrs each ride 30 miles with chamois shorts and it's about all my sensitive areas can handle. If I was on a recumbent with a "real seat" it's so much more comfortable and 6.25 hrs wouldn't be so scary. Unfortunately, the XP doesn't have the kind of comfort found on a recumbent. I don't have the XP premium but do ride a mid- drive Bafang powered bike with a similar amp hour battery. PAS 1 keeping it at 12mph 95% flats with a 3-4 mph headwind I can squeeze 80 miles out of it. The combination weight bike + rider = 280. If there is more headwind and or less than 95% flat I would not trust it to get 75 miles.

Companies usually calculate maximum range with a 180 lb rider, on 100% flats with 0 mph windspeed at 12 mph and a new fully charged battery that has gone through a balanced charging cycle.

Last edited:
Electric bike report tested the range and got 108 miles on PAS 1.

Electric bike report tested the range and got 108 miles on PAS 1.
Good info. I should have spent a little more time thinking through my previous response I'm using a Lectric XP extended range battery on my Bafang bike and I was assuming the premium uses it. Totally forgot about the dual batteries. If anyone is interested here is the link for that review

They did mention 108 miles on PAS 1. I Had to double check if the Xpremium came with the dual batteries and sure enough it does all for just under $1600.

Still hard for me to believe how Levi and Robby can put these bikes out at the low price they are. The entire line is well below market.

I just took my XPremium on a fairly flat 20-mile ride. Fully charged, PAS3 the whole way. At the end, the power bar was down to about 30%!? 42.1V. I'm hoping I just goofed in turning on one of the batteries. Didn't think to check until I'd already charged it for a while.

I don't actually see a description anywhere of how you should turn them on, what the LED indicates, etc. The front battery LED seems to indicate "I'm on." I couldn't figure out how to turn it off. The rear battery has a charge "meter" on it, but I haven't quite figured it out yet either.

Pg 46 of your manual says to push the button on each battery to take it out of "sleep mode" and or to activate the led battery bar charge level. So it is likely you only pressed it on the main battery on the downtube.

That's what I assumed. I thought I woke up the rear battery too, but I did it by feel & didn't check the LED indicator. Might have missed it. I don't see any way to tell if both batteries are alive, using the screen anyway. You can get your power bar and your voltage, but that doesn't positively identify whether both batteries are awake. I'll just have to be more careful next time and ensure both batteries are on before I check my mileage.

Back