A tale of two bikes, and my first four months of riding!

mschwett

Region
USA
First, thanks to everyone who makes this a great forum to discuss and learn!

I got my first bike in over 20 years at the start of the year, a vanMoof S3. It's a unique bike, mid-range in price, powerful (59nm), class 1 (20mph), 504wh battery, front hub drive, 4 speed automatic in the rear hub, and great anti-theft features for the city. I use it with a thule yepp next maxi for my 3 year old, and since I bought it have pretty much used it for 75% of my daily trips within the city. In addition, I loved riding so much that I started riding for exercise, which for me is a bit complicated because of an inherited heart rhythm condition (multiple open heart surgeries over the years, I have an ICD, and take antiarrythmics and beta blockers) that requires I keep my heart rate below 130 and averaging around 110, avoiding extended high output cardio.

I quickly got into longer rides on the S3, probably not exactly what a fairly heavy (45lb) upright flat bar ebike is meant for, but it worked and I enjoyed it.... so much that I ended up getting another bike, for the exercise/fun rides - a turbo creo comp carbon.

Here is my first four months of riding summed up in one graph. My rides are typically 20-25 miles, some as much as 45, usually starting by going across the Golden Gate and into the Marin Headlands, or something going west and south along the edges of San Francisco. Average speed has held relatively steady, declining a bit from the beginning when I used the higher assist levels and boost function :D of the vanMoof more liberally, but in the same period of time, my reliance on the battery has gone way down to as little as 2-3 Wh/mile on the Creo and a pretty consistent 2-3 Wh/50 feet of elevation. In theory, with the range extender I could cover well over 125 miles and many thousands of feet on a charge, but I'm not quite ready for that long of a ride. I pretty much refuse to wear any sort of cycling clothes, so I'm sure I could improve these numbers a bit with some more aero attire, but while I do love the data the point for me is really the enjoyment of being outside, going fast (most rides i hit 40-45mph for a brief bit here and there), seeing the amazing scenery just outside my front door (I always ride from home, no driving to the ride), getting very controlled exercise and learning about a new hobby. And, of course, buying gear. ;)

Given my health history, I never would have even considered cycling without an eBike, and as different as the two bikes are, I love them both - and thanks again to this great community!

rides2021.jpg

Love the graphs. I am not sure I would want to plot mine though. The Wh/mile have gone up along with the speed and weight of the rig. When I first started riding an e bike 4 years ago my Wh/mile were in the range of 12-16. (7.2-9.6 wh/Km) I improved and improved the rolling resistance of the bike. My speeds stayed around the 12-16 mph (19-26 kph) mark and Wh/mile dropped down to around 6-9 Wh/mile.(3.6-4.2 Wh/Km)
Then I started to want longer rides without really earning them. Had to solve the saddle problem first. That's when the Wh/mile started to climb. The further you go, the more tired you get and the more you rely on the bike. For me, Wh/mile starts to climb at about 50 miles.(80Km) I wanted longer rides and modified the bike to get them. The weight of the bike climbed and climbed even more when I wanted to take stuff consistent with a longer ride. Up went the Wh/mile and up went the speeds to get the distances within a reasonable time. Wh/mile now are anywhere from 6-23 Wh/mile. (3.6-13.8 Wh/km) Speeds vary from 12-22 mph (19-35 kph)
Tomorrows ride will be 128 miles (205Km). Speeds will be 17-20 mph (27-32 kph). Very cold, 10mph head winds, 5,000' of climbing and very heavy. I expect to be in the upper range of Wh/mile. If I can stand the 30 deg (-1C) start to the ride.

Glad to hear your performance is improving so much despite the limitations you were born with. Amazing speeds and distances. Nice scenery out there, too. I enjoyed my Mother pedaling me around when I was 3. The seat was mounted on the front so I had a great view. In 1953 Father built the seat of masonite panel & steel.
I'm surprised that any manufacturer had the bravery to sell a front hub motor bike. I love my setup, but am afraid any user that took one power on across slick wet steel rock or lumber could score a really big win in court after the bike fell down. I put the motor on the front myself, to restore the 8 speed sprocket my unpowered bike came with. I ride 94 lb with tools & tubes & water, before groceries are added. I'd be afraid a 45 lb bike would blow over out here!

Last edited:
Love the graphs. I am not sure I would want to plot mine though. The Wh/mile have gone up along with the speed and weight of the rig. When I first started riding an e bike 4 years ago my Wh/mile were in the range of 12-16. (7.2-9.6 wh/Km) I improved and improved the rolling resistance of the bike. My speeds stayed around the 12-16 mph (19-26 kph) mark and Wh/mile dropped down to around 6-9 Wh/mile.(3.6-4.2 Wh/Km)
Then I started to want longer rides without really earning them. Had to solve the saddle problem first. That's when the Wh/mile started to climb. The further you go, the more tired you get and the more you rely on the bike. For me, Wh/mile starts to climb at about 50 miles.(80Km) I wanted longer rides and modified the bike to get them. The weight of the bike climbed and climbed even more when I wanted to take stuff consistent with a longer ride. Up went the Wh/mile and up went the speeds to get the distances within a reasonable time. Wh/mile now are anywhere from 6-23 Wh/mile. (3.6-13.8 Wh/km) Speeds vary from 12-22 mph (19-35 kph)
Tomorrows ride will be 128 miles (205Km). Speeds will be 17-20 mph (27-32 kph). Very cold, 10mph head winds, 5,000' of climbing and very heavy. I expect to be in the upper range of Wh/mile. If I can stand the 30 deg (-1C) start to the ride.

Sounds like a pretty intense ride! 128 miles at 17-20, 5000', and a cold headwind! Good luck!

Glad to hear your performance is improving so much despite the limitations you were born with. Amazing speeds and distances. Nice scenery out there, too. I enjoyed my Mother pedaling me around when I was 3. The seat was mounted on the front so I had a great view. In 1953 Father built the seat of masonite panel & steel.
I'm surprised that any manufacturer had the bravery to sell a front hub motor bike. I love my setup, but am afraid any user that took one power on across slick wet steel rock or lumber could score a really big win in court after the bike fell down. I put the motor on the front myself, to restore the 8 speed sprocket my unpowered bike came with. I ride 94 lb with tools & tubes & water, before groceries are added. I'd be afraid a 45 lb bike would blow over out here!

Yeah, I hear you - all my experienced bike head friends saw it and were like ... front drive!?!?

The irony is I won't touch a front drive car, but the bike seems fine, I just make sure to lean forward a bit when under full power on a hill. I'm 195 or so myself, so plus the bike we present a decent amount of resistance to the wind lol. We do get a lot of gusty wind here, especially out over the bridges and on the coast proper, but not too much rain and no snow. I've only ridden in the rain a few times.

Back