A new one. From Valencia, Spain.

Manfrotto

Region
Europe
Hello from Valencia, Spain.

It's been a few days since I joined this forum and I have already seen and learned some very interesting things in various aspects about some topics regarding electric bicycles.

I have been a cyclo-tourist for about 20 years. I have traveled routes both in Spain and in several countries in the European Union. Now, I'm in my 50's

At first, with my 1992 Kettler Alu-Rad Mercedes Benz with a 7-speed rear derailleur, then with a 7-speed Shimano Nexus 7 and finally with an 11-speed Shimano Alfine. A marvelous bicycle in its time and with which I traveled thousands of kilometers with my four panniers, my tent and my small gas stove.

In 2021 I bought a second-hand Specialized Rockhopper with 3 front chainrings and 9 rear speeds, already 4 years old on its wheels, to which in a few weeks I installed a 36v Tongsheng motor. And 250 W of power with a 650 w/h battery. This was also second hand, bought from a good friend.
It worked perfectly until three months ago and after more than 15,000 km. routes the dreaded ERROR 2 (torque sensor failure) appeared on the controller screen.
I ordered that part and while I was able to locate someone who could install it in my city, I started searching the Wallapop App for a better quality bicycle that had everything already installed from the factory.

I didn't have a very cheerful and generous budget, so I limited the search to Spain and to €1,500 in total (including transport costs)

Miraculously, I found just what I was looking for. Almost not or I still believe.
A wonderful Riese & Müller Charger (model 1) from a few years ago...but in practically new condition. Size M.

I asked the seller for a certificate of the condition of the two batteries and the motor made by an authorized Bosch workshop.
The engine is completely perfect with only 600 km. totals made.
The two Bosch Powerpack 500 batteries have an excellent “vitality” of 97% of their energy storage capacity (in fact, they were purchased just two years ago)
Everything is excellent in terms of paint (Azzure, blue), the Cane Creek bar suspension and the saddle, the Intuvia and Nyon screens, the brand new Schwalbe Big Ben 28x2.00 tires and… (this is really great) the change Nviolo N380 hub…

The seller was an Austrian retiree who has a property a little further south of the city of Valencia, in Benalmádena, Málaga and who had only used it on very few occasions to go from his property to the center of town to make some purchases. But he had taken great care to maintain the elements that may be affected over time.

I have only had it at home for a week and just driving around Valencia to visit clients in the city I have already traveled 145 km (I am a professional photographer and my specialty is advertising, gastronomic and architectural photography)

I've changed only two elements:
-The new handlebar is an Ergotec handlebar, 78 cm wide and with a rise of 7 cm. horizontal (my height is 183 cm and my arms have a good span)
-the saddle and the cushioning. For many years I have been using the Wittkop brand saddles that are found in Lidl supermarkets for about €12 (the previous one lasted about 9,000 km of daily use and I changed it almost on a whim) and the cushioning of the saddle for a Suntour SR that gave me It allows excellent regulation by simply operating the internal screw that varies the hardness of the system. The Cane Creek has a very good appearance and finish, but elastomer 3, the intermediate one that comes mounted, seemed tremendously hard and not very flexible. I'll keep it for when I decide to buy a softer elastomer block and try it.

The final price of everything including transportation to my house and transportation insurance? Only €1300. I insist...including everything I have listed above.

Well, that's it for my presentation in the forum.
I hope I haven't bored you too much and I want you to consider yourself invited to come and discover this part of Spain that is not limited to paella, the “Fallas” festival, sun-drenched beaches and other too limited topics.
We have great routes, landscapes, mountains, plains, gastronomy, hospitality and variety that you should be encouraged to discover.

Greetings from Valencia, Spain.

Juan.

P.d. As asked, here are the three mentioned bikes...

Attachments

• 001-kettler.jpg
    001-kettler.jpg
    590.2 KB · Views: 9
  • 002-specialized.jpg
    002-specialized.jpg
    704.9 KB · Views: 9
  • 003-riesemuller.jpg
    003-riesemuller.jpg
    972.7 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Congratulations on a real find on the R&M, and welcome to EBR. Folks on here would love some pictures, I am sure ...

Welcome aboard!

Our 2014 trip to Spain was one of our best vacations ever. Madrid, Seville, Estepona, Granada, and Barcelona were all memorable, but Valencia was my favorite by far. Rented a bike there and spent most of my time exploring your friendly and beautiful city on the Mediterranean on 2 wheels while my wife visted museums and old churches. What a gem you have in that wonderful park that meanders the length of the city!

Last edited:
Welcome aboard!

Our 2014 trip to Spain was one of our best vacations ever. Madrid, Seville, Estepona, Granada, and Barcelona were all memorable, but Valencia was my favorite by far. Rented a bike there and spent most of my time exploring your friendly and beautiful city on the Mediterranean on 2 wheels while my wife visted museums and old churches. What a gem you have in that wonderful park that meanders the length of the city!
Hello Jeremy:

You are absolutely right: we have a gem in this city…!
I am originally from a small town in the Pyrenees mountains, very close to the border with France. And I have lived for some years in Barcelona. But also in Madrid, Zaragoza, Jaca, the Canary Islands... Even in Western Sahara, when it was still another province of Spain.
My father was a military, with what that implies of changes of residence...

And I stay, of all the places where I have lived for more than two years, with Valencia.
In addition to having a really..."human size" as a city (you can walk across it calmly in an hour and a half), it has a truly exceptional natural environment.
Were you able to ride your bicycle around the Albufera? It is right on the southern edge of the city and after literally rolling next to the sand of the beach and crossing a very well protected Mediterranean forest... you go on to roll between rice crops, ducks, lagoons, etc. It's really amazing.

But in addition to everything that the city and its closest surroundings offer, in just a few kilometers we have totally different and opposite natural environments: mountains, plains, rivers... Literally everything.

I encourage you to return to dedicate an intense and unique visit to this land.

Here you have a press article in which it explains that the sunsets seen from the Albufera in Valencia are considered some of the most spectacular in the world. The first photo...is mine... ;)

Greetings.

Juan.

Back