Cassette and Chain recommendations

McGene

Region
USA
I have a 2018 RAD City eBike that I bought used.
I'm pretty sure I need a new chain and possibly a cassette (7 speed)
Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
I couldn't find the cassette on the RAD website, so not sure where to shop.
Thanks for your help.
-gene

The freewheel incorporates the ratcheting part and the sprockets in one unit, the cassette is just the sprockets which fis on the ratcheting freehub on the axle.
The only foreseeable problem would be getting the freewheel off the bike wheel.

Thanks. I did look up freewheel vs cassette.
you are correct, removing a freewheel can be challenging. In fact I read one post where a special tool was needed

You need the tool to unscrew the freewheel. It's not expensive, and something you'd want in your bicycle toolbox.
They can be really stuck on. One method I have used is to put the tool in a bench mounted vice, then put freewheel on the tool (cluster down of course) and turn the wheel the normal way to unscrew. By grabbing the outside of the tire you can get the torque you need. Sometimes they are so stuck on it seems hopeless. At that point I just replace the wheel, but with a hub motor in the wheel you will want to go the extra distance to get that thing off. Use a neversieze type thread compound on the threads when you replace.

I watched a few videos on removing a freewheel and it appears that the tool needed varies with the type of freewheel. Not sure which one I need or even where to buy it. It looks a little like a socket with ribs. I currently emailing with a guy from Bikesmith who is also providing some guidance along with you gromike! I appreciate all the help I can get. Regards, Gene

Back