vado 3/4/5 rack capacity

mschwett

Region
USA
looking for input from those who have the current vado with the MIK HD rear rack. specialized says it's good for up to 27kg (60lb.)

it appears to attach only to the frame at the rear axle and the fender. how sturdy/stable is in the forward-back and side to side directions given the lack of a robust connection to the seat tube or seat stays? any sense that 60lb is pushing it, or any suspicion that it could actually safely hold a bit more?

alternately, anyone put a really high capacity (say 75lb) rack on their vado?

rack.JPG

The fender looks like it is also fixed to the seat stay bridge. If I recall correctly, the SL EQ I had the fender was secured further down by the chainstays/BB. In either case, the fender/rack provide mutual support for each other and it's hard to see you could have one without the other. I never loaded near 60 lbs on my EQ but it always seemed stable with whatever load I put on it. Maybe 30 lbs max using a Racktime Odin bag.

The fender looks like it is also fixed to the seat stay bridge. If I recall correctly, the SL EQ I had the fender was secured further down by the chainstays/BB. In either case, the fender/rack provide mutual support for each other and it's hard to see you could have one without the other. I never loaded near 60 lbs on my EQ but it always seemed stable with whatever load I put on it. Maybe 30 lbs max using a Racktime Odin bag.
right, the fender connection is what i’m worried about. i assume those fenders are the usual specialized dry tech type, which are fine as fenders but don’t seem structurally up to the task of longitudinally supporting a 50+ pound weight as you rapidly decelerate. but maybe the fender on the vado is beefed up since it plays a role in supporting the rack?

right, the fender connection is what i’m worried about. i assume those fenders are the usual specialized dry tech type, which are fine as fenders but don’t seem structurally up to the task of longitudinally supporting a 50+ pound weight as you rapidly decelerate. but maybe the fender on the vado is beefed up since it plays a role in supporting the rack?
The fender on my Vado is metal, the rack is fastened in 4 places through the fender, you cannot move the rack independently of the frame, you would not have a problem with load

It will easily hold 60 pounds. I've had the rear rack loaded down with two bundles of firewood (one in each cool cave pannier) and another bundle in a basket attached at the top via mik adapter. The weight was no problem for the rack/fender itself.

Back