100 Mile Review Radster Road

RADsterBID

Region
USA
Like it a lot!
I have ridden over 100 miles. Here are my thoughts.
Glad I bought it and decided on the Regular and not the Large. 5'9, seat height of upper limit of seat-post. (The pedal to seat top distance is ~31.5", which matches my two other bikes, mntn and gravel)
Assembly was straightforward, except the front fender rubbed on the rear lower right sidewall. I spent +1 hour trying to get a good non-interference fit. Solution was to mount the fender at the crown with the bolt centered vertically in the slotted bracket and to bend the left front fender wire brace loop towards the front of the bike. I test fitted the fender several times to determine how much of an angular bend would be required on the left wire brace loop in order to move the fender to the left and away from the right side of the tire sidewall. I bent just the wire loop on the left wire brace towards the front of the bike approximately 15 degrees. This bend pulled the lower end of the front fender to the left and away the tire right side of the fire sidewall.

I added four pieces Orcal 631 transparent to the frame locations where the frame might be scratched. I wrapped the horizontal frame segments with this clear removable plastic where I step thru the frame and where I secure the bike with straps to my 1UpUSA bike rack. I will add more Oracal 631 transparent film where the chain slack hits the top side of the frame between the rear wheel and crank arm.

I added Crank Brothers pedals, STAMP Gen 1. I like this pedal, they are larger and provide a secure grip to sneakers.

I added Eergon Grips GC1. This grips are larger diameter and are a better grip as compared to the stock grips.

I use the small rear bag in a small rear rack. The rack is quite secure and the bag fit snug and is secured with a velcro fastener on each side. I secure the bag when full of groceries with 3 Radpower elastic straps with hooks.

I use Dinotte Lighting front light and rear light. Dinotte lights are are BRIGHT ! Been a user of these lights for over 10 years without any issues. They are great quality and the brightest lights available, period.
I use a yellow light during daytime and a white light and yellow light at night.
This illumination is a much needed improvement as compared to the stock headlight and taillight.

I added a Cascade Designs Bottle Cage Mounting Bracket for Rad Power Bikes and two Blackburn Chicane Water Bottle Cage (Stainless Steel, One Size). I added 2 Rad Power water bottles. All fit well and snug. I uses shorter bolts to secure the bottle cages to the mounting brackets. The stock bolts were about 10mm too long and very close to the head tube.

I added a Rad Power mirror and removed the bell. The bell will not be used and it was in a very awkward position. I like the mirror, very stable and if mounted tilted forward quite a bit, the entire field of view excludes the rider completely.

I use the phrase BOOB. Battery, Outlet, Outlet, Battery. This means I first plug the charger into the BATTERY, then I plug the charger into the OUTLET. After a full charge, I unplug the charger from the OUTLET and then I unplug charger from the BATTERY.

Before riding I use the phrase KOOB. This means KICKSTAND, OFF, ONE, BRAKE
This means I use the following actions when mounting the bike, KICKSTAND up, make sure the bike is OFF, make sure the bike is in gear ONE, and my right hand is on the BRAKE. This method ensures that I do not inadvertently grab a handful of throttle whilst mounting the bike. The Radster is the only bike I own that has a kickstand so I am prone to start riding with the kickstand down (Did this during several test rides at the LBS.)

Once I stop riding I turn the bike off before dismounting. This way I do not inadvertently grab the throttle when dismounting.

Bike is stable, rides well, and the range is as advertised. I ride in either mode 1 or 2 and rarely set the PAS above level 3. I have used Mode 3, in gear 8, and verified the bike will attain 28mph. Very FAST.d

Handle bar positions is rotated slight to the rear and tire pressures are 31. Front shock is 2 turn clockwise from center. I always ride what the suspension in unlocked mode. Ride is firm and comfortable, but I do not intend to curb hop on this bike..as it is not a full suspension mountain bike.

I like the steering geometry and rider position. I find the bike very comfortable when properly adjusted to my preferences.
The battery charges nicely and is HEAVY. The battery deserves a two handed grip whilst carrying it. I 3D printed these two parts for the battery and for the RFID tag.

Rad Power Bikes Safe Shield Battery Cap
https://www.printables.com/model/940491-rad-power-bikes-safe-shield-battery-cap

Rad Power Bikes RFID Card Holder
https://www.printables.com/model/937790-rad-power-bikes-rfid-card-holder

I will be replacing the tires with Schwalble AI Grounder 29x2.35 tires and tubes. I will also install Tannus Armor Tire liners.
The stock tire are marginally tread, shallow and do not feel as secure in aggressive cornering at speed or idle. I prefer Schwalbe tires and considered installing Schwable Marathons, a proven durable tire. I am nervous the stock tire and tube are not sufficient to prevent flat tires, especially goathead punctures. (This quite common here in Boise)

In addition to water I carry the Radpower road side tool kit. IF and when I have the dreaded flat tire I will need to add some method to hold the bike upside down without damaging the controls. I have a couple of ideas for the Prusa MK4 3D printer, stay tuned.

Back