AM1000 vs other $5,000 mountain bikes such as Giant, Cannondale, Trek, etc.

mobsync

Region
USA
Does anyone have an opinion on how the name brand $5,000 ebikes compare to the Frey? It would be nice to buy something from a local shop to get quick service (probably a Trek) but the bafang motor with 160nm of torque really intrigues me. Plus, I like the idea of having a throttle as well.

Take a look at their geometry figures - in particular seat tube angle and chainstay . Then try going back far enough to find similar figures on a big brand bike ( hint, it's more than 6 years ago )

If you just want to power up hills, the Frey is your bike. But if you'd prefer to ride a modern mountain bike with electric assistance, go visit the LBS .

Disclaimer, I like riding mountain bikes and prefer my 35 nm levo sl to my 80 nm giant. In fact, right now I'm procrastinating about heading out on a ride because the LSL is getting new brakes so I'd have to ride the giant. I'm probably going to ride my motorbike instead.....

I agree with PDoz on visiting a LBS in this decision. And I do own a Frey CC.
Local MTB trails usually only want a class 2 and everything about the Frey you are looking at is not "legal" . (if it has a throttle)

I do love my CC, but only keep it on the multi use trails riding proper around others and I do go off-road on gravel type roads. If you are looking to do the local MTB trails, consider what the trail limits are around you. and consider what the others are riding.
Side note: I have owned other cadence based ebikes and was all about the throttle. Since getting a torque based ebike. I use my throttle hardly ever. Throttles are great for a quick start from a stand still at a stop crossing traffic. Beyond that, really not needed unless on a long ride where you are zapped out of power and need to get home.

Just to reiterate what others have said, we’re likely talking apples and oranges when comparing the Frey to many of the bikes from the big four. What are your intended uses for an emtb, i.e. where and what type of terrain do you primarily intend to ride on? The obvious difference that stands out for me would be the weight differential. We might be talking about 20 lbs less than say for a Specialized Levo Comp Alloy. At over 70lbs, I find it interesting that the company describes the Frey as being agile and maneuverable. Let’s face it, it is a tank but make no mistake, it will definitely get you up any hill.

If you’re looking for bike to get you where you need to go whether it’s on tarmac or rutted single/double track, the Giant Stance E Pro might be a viable option. The Sync Drive Pro motor is quiet, a proven performer, delivers plenty of power and the EnergyPack 800 battery also offers up great range. If you haven’t done so yet and as PDoz and keithj69 have both suggested, I would also recommend that you drop by your LBS and test ride a few bikes before pulling the trigger. You might be pleasantly surprised.

Last edited:
I was very close to buying a Frey. After a lot of looking at reviews, forums etc. I bought a Rocky Mountain A50. $800 more than the Frey, but lighter and better components too. The Rocky Dyname motor makes 108nm of torque. No where near the Frey Bafang. But is quiet, tuneable and climbs really well. Instant power with zero over run. Smooth power.

Throttles are great for a quick start from a stand still at a stop crossing traffic. Beyond that, really not needed unless on a long ride where you are zapped out of power and need to get home.

These are the two scenarios that first come to mind when I look at a bike with no throttle.

These are the two scenarios that first come to mind when I look at a bike with no throttle.

Be careful if you're expecting to put 160 nm through a 12 sp from stationary - especially if you're hoping to accelerate quickly across traffic ! Changing gears under load or starting in too high a gear is nasty to thin chains / cassettes!

See if you can get a test ride on a bafang powered bike with a 12 dp and do a few trials of rapid acceleration +/- gear changing - concentrate on the sound of those changes, ie clunk vs click.

Some of the bigger brands have been trying to get around this at their higher performance levels - eg integrated electronic shifting that drops torque for a fraction of a second. Most riders learn when and how to back off / time shifts. I doubt I'd be capable of doing that with a vehicle heading my way.

Take a look at the replacement costs of chains / cassettes - the lifespan can be anything from 300 to 3000 km depending on how you treat them. We hear a lot of complaints from first time ebikers about the smaller cogs wearing prematurely ( from starting in too high a gear)

Now Shimano has a new system thats designed to shift under load and for e bikes. Sram has an electronic version that shifts better under load. so it is changing.

Now Shimano has a new system thats designed to shift under load and for e bikes. Sram has an electronic version that shifts better under load. so it is changing.

True, and in a few years that tech might trickle down to the price point where a specialized owner might not run screaming from the shop . The sram " budget" T type groupset is Aus $1800 !!! https://www.mtbdirect.com.au/produc...nsmission-axs-groupset?variant=41691683127341 Or a measly Aus $4600 for the good stuff https://www.mtbdirect.com.au/produc...owermeter-axs-groupset?variant=41650337185837. ( for perspective, a frey m600 costs Aus $5600 over here)

I have a couple of e-bikes, one being the Frey Beast, which is the next step up from the AM1000. I like power, so neither of my e-bike (or my wife’s) are under 100nm torque.

Im in my mid 50s so riding tech trails etc are also not on my radar in the interest of self preservation, so not being on the cutting edge of suspension tech doesn’t bother me, and nor does the weight since the torque of the Ultra motor overcomes this in straight line acceleration.

Whilst there are comments about powering up a hill, the Ultra powered Frey will also have the power everywhere. And for this reason I don’t find a need to use the throttle as others have commented. The slight run on of the motor will power you across roads once you initially pedal the motor into action, rendering the throttle somewhat obsolete in this situation.

Both my e-bikes are currently used to commute to work 5-6 days a week and I switch between them each week or two. Early on I changed the chainring to a Wolf tooth 48T to better exploit the torque of the Ultra motor. I did change the chain at this point too as I needed a longer chain for the larger chainring. Ive not had to change or replace any other components on the Frey at this stage. On my other e-bike I stretched the KMC e-bike chain at circa 750klms and was skipping across 6th gear but I do like standing on the pedals a fair bit on both my bikes rather than increasing the assistance levels.

I do back off pedalling when upshifting on the Frey, but no need for downshifts which I sometimes do in 2 or 3 gears at a time. Cassette is still in perfect condition.

I do enjoy riding the Frey which never fails to leave a smile on my face at the end of each ride.

Good luck in your search.

Got one word if you want to compare apples to apples.

Luna Z1
Ok more than one word.
They're out of El Segundo Ca.
Zero customer service but if can do your own wrenching your good.

And no I dont have one of their's.
Got the same motor you referenced on a frame I got from Germany but that's a different story.

Dont want a throttle? Dont hook one up.
Z1 has decent components for it's price point.

Back