New torque sensor option

Funpilot

Region
USA
I have ordered 2 of the Model E with the new torque sensor. I included the 7 speed option as well. They will not be available until mid February. I may be one of the first to get this option. I prefer torque over cadence, each has its merits, so it is a preference choice. Any thoughts?

The best pedal assist systems use a combination of torque sensing and cadence sensing, blended intelligently to provide the best of both worlds.

If you can only have one or the other, it will depend on your riding style and environment.

As a very rough and oversimplified summary:
Riding on streets at regular speed will be smoother with a cadence only PAS
Riding on uneven terrain (like trails) requiring rapid change of speed and power will be a lot easier with a torque-based PAS.

I agree. I am not quite sure if they will have torque only, and will be happy if it is both or just torque.

By the way, have you seen the new display for the model A? I really like the real looking speedometer. But I think we lose all the fine controls for PAS levels that we have in the current display. I also have heard that sometime by the end of 2023, they may have a mid drive model option.

Last edited:
I have ordered 2 of the Model E with the new torque sensor. I included the 7 speed option as well. They will not be available until mid February. I may be one of the first to get this option. I prefer torque over cadence, each has its merits, so it is a preference choice. Any thoughts?
Have you looked at the Aventon Level-2, with Torque Sensing? Feature for feature they are the same bike, I believe they are using the same frame, motor, and brakes. The cost difference is about $1,000 savings on the Aventon, which will save you $2,000. My wife and I have two Aventon Levels we've ridden for two years. Pretty much flawless operation. Aventon appears to have a larger National dealer network. The Aventon uses a standard 8 speed Shimano Type Cassette system instead of the outdated freewheel found on the Model E.

-Just my two cents. Happy New Year.

Last edited:
Already paid them, plus I am hopeful that customer service will be better with EBC. The local Aventon riders I have talked to are not all happy. Also, if I buy it, my sales tax will be about $150.00 somewhat narrowing the difference plus an additional $220 for a 3 year warranty, while EBC has a 5 year warranty of the frame/battery and a 10 year warranty on the motor. Thank you for your thoughtful response and wish me luck !!

Wasn't familiar with this offering, so I watched a review shared in another thread and looked up the official specs. Great-looking bike!

What caught my eye was the 58/18 gearing on the base-level single-speed. With 26" wheels, that comes out to 84 gear-inches -- between 8th and 9th gears on my 9-speed as shipped.

The official specs refer to this gearing as "for medium to hilly terrain". Really? The specs say nothing about the bike's weight or rear hub motor.

What am missing?

Last edited:
Wasn't familiar with this offering, so I watched a review shared in another thread and looked up the official specs. Great-looking bike!

What caught my eye was the 58/18 gearing on the base-level single-speed. With 26" wheels, that comes out to 84 gear-inches -- between 8th and 9th gears on my 9-speed as shipped.

The official specs refer to this gearing as "for medium to hilly terrain". Really? The specs say nothing about the bike's weight or rear hub motor.

What am missing?
I look at optimal gearing for my purposes similar to getting the seating position right for my purposes. Very easily changed to get exactly what I'm looking for - part of buying a new bike. As far as add copy being true to the letter? That's nearly always a stretch....

I look at optimal gearing for my purposes similar to getting the seating position right for my purposes. Very easily changed to get exactly what I'm looking for - part of buying a new bike. As far as add copy being true to the letter? That's nearly always a stretch....
Agree, but is the average cruiser buyer prepared to do that?

Haven't ridden a single-speed in decades, but doesn't 84 gear-inches sound too stiff? Maybe OK on the flat with no headwind. And maybe the plan is just to throttle up the hills and through the headwinds with little or no rider contribution.

I encounter a lot of short, steep hills here in coastal San Diego County. My 500W rear hub motor can throttle up most of them without my help, but I'd rather do as much of the work as knees allow. Which is why I replaced my stock 42t chainring with a 38t to get a 30-inch 1st gear. That reduced top (9th) gear to 88 95 gear-inches, but it's a good trade-off till my legs/knees get stronger.

Last edited:
Last week I was informed that the Model A will be the first to get the torque sensor and it could be a while before the Model E gets if. So, I changed from the E to a Model R with a Cadence sensor and will let others try it out first. I understand that our 2 bikes are being built today.

Wife really wanted white. Because we are on a budget (silly to say that about these ebikes), we went with stock colors. She added a black rack and is getting a large round front light as we got the technology package as well. I went with the red frame, black rack and black front basket. I will get MIK accessories later. We also went with the derailleur option. Was just told they are packed and ready to go ...

Wife really wanted white. Because we are on a budget (silly to say that about these ebikes), we went with stock colors. She added a black rack and is getting a large round front light as we got the technology package as well. I went with the red frame, black rack and black front basket. I will get MIK accessories later. We also went with the derailleur option. Was just told they are packed and ready to go ...
My only color options were white, black, and hot pink frames with black everywhere else. Also a big fan of B&W with strategic splashes of color, so I'm very happy with my white frame. But 1st choice would have been a light bluish green with a little gray mixed in.

Back