Solarcabin

Region
USA
I also ride Escooters and I was a skateboarder in the 70's back before long boards, fat trucks and helmets, lol!

I have had an interest in electric vehicles since I was a teen in the 70s and tried making electric go carts with a car battery and starter motor and it worked but not for long enough to go anywhere. Then I tried converting an old VW dune buggy to electric but no room for batteries. That was long before Lithium batteries and we didn't even have AGM and deep cycles available then. That is what really changed things and now we have EV cars, trucks, semi's and Ebikes, Escooters, Eskateboards, Hoverboards and some Eunicycle thingy I watched a guy ride and thought man that looks cool... and dangerous as hell.

So, do you ride/drive any other EVs and please do share your EV pics/video and stories on how you got interested in EVs!

Esk8 is my other hobby. I was a pretty hardcore skateboarder from grade school through graduating college circa 2002 when I decided my body couldn't handle jumping down stairs anymore. I actually got into cycling as a replacement (originally mountainbiking, then worked my way to commuting and road riding). I missed it and built a DIY eskate in 2014 or so with RC car parts. I called it the board of doom because it was hard as hell to ride and definitely wanted to kill me. Had a lot of fun running around my old town on it though. It was rare that I could get 30 minutes of riding without having to stop and fix something.
lRNOnnpl.jpg

Bought a Boosted to replace it a few years later when I moved to my current town. Waaaaaay easier to ride than the board of doom (which has since been dismantled and returned to its non-electric state and gifted to a niece who wanted a longboard). Main criticism of the Boosted is it only got 4-5 miles of range. Fine for running back and forth to the office but riding for fun, I could kill it in 15 minutes.
Jldeggwl.jpg

Recently upgraded the Boosted to an Ownboard Zeus Pro. Much longer range (almost 1000whr) and much faster. I've had it to a whisker under 40mph. Good fun!
tzscbhoh.jpg

Esk8 is my other hobby. I was a pretty hardcore skateboarder from grade school through graduating college circa 2002 when I decided my body couldn't handle jumping down stairs anymore. I actually got into cycling as a replacement (originally mountainbiking, then worked my way to commuting and road riding). I missed it and built a DIY eskate in 2014 or so with RC car parts. I called it the board of doom because it was hard as hell to ride and definitely wanted to kill me. Had a lot of fun running around my old town on it though. It was rare that I could get 30 minutes of riding without having to stop and fix something.
lRNOnnpl.jpg

Bought a Boosted to replace it a few years later when I moved to my current town. Waaaaaay easier to ride than the board of doom (which has since been dismantled and returned to its non-electric state and gifted to a niece who wanted a longboard). Main criticism of the Boosted is it only got 4-5 miles of range. Fine for running back and forth to the office but riding for fun, I could kill it in 15 minutes.
Jldeggwl.jpg

Recently upgraded the Boosted to an Ownboard Zeus Pro. Much longer range (almost 1000whr) and much faster. I've had it to a whisker under 40mph. Good fun!
tzscbhoh.jpg
Cool! How do you stop it? A handheld remote or some foot mechanism?

Cool! How do you stop it? A handheld remote or some foot mechanism?
They all have "brakes", which just runs the motor in reverse to slow you down. No mechanical brake, but the motors provide a surprising amount of braking force. The Zeus in particular can almost lock the rear wheels up. They try and tune the ESC so it provides solid braking without tossing you off the board. You can't stop like a bike though. Gotta be careful on trails and stuff where you might need to make an emergency stop if a kid dives in front of you.

They all run a wireless remote for control. Control is a small thumbwheel for the Boosted and Zeus. The DIY I ran a small RC car remote with the steering wheel removed (you can see the base of it on the bench above and right in the pic).

The tech on scooters is ludicrous now. I see people reviewing them on Youtube where they can hit like 50mph+. What have you gotten the Freego up to?

They all have "brakes", which just runs the motor in reverse to slow you down. No mechanical brake, but the motors provide a surprising amount of braking force. The Zeus in particular can almost lock the rear wheels up. They try and tune the ESC so it provides solid braking without tossing you off the board. You can't stop like a bike though. Gotta be careful on trails and stuff where you might need to make an emergency stop if a kid dives in front of you.

They all run a wireless remote for control. Control is a small thumbwheel for the Boosted and Zeus. The DIY I ran a small RC car remote with the steering wheel removed (you can see the base of it on the bench above and right in the pic).

The tech on scooters is ludicrous now. I see people reviewing them on Youtube where they can hit like 50mph+. What have you gotten the Freego up to?

Freego top speed is 28mph but closer to 25 and I have not checked it with GPS.

I like the 8 inch tires it has and I have taken it off road and I can tow my dog trailer with that scooter.

I celebrated my 25th year at my job recently. I took a bit of the bonus money and purchased a Apollo Ghost. I jump on escooters every chance I get but I'm finally getting my own. Will post some pictures when it shows up. A friend inherited a electric skateboard that was abandoned on the ship he works on. That thing is crazy! I'll get a picture of that as well. Other than those I have all electric lawn equipment. I don't think that really counts for this post but I like it. I take extra pride in my yard now!

I celebrated my 25th year at my job recently. I took a bit of the bonus money and purchased a Apollo Ghost. I jump on escooters every chance I get but I'm finally getting my own. Will post some pictures when it shows up. A friend inherited a electric skateboard that was abandoned on the ship he works on. That thing is crazy! I'll get a picture of that as well. Other than those I have all electric lawn equipment. I don't think that really counts for this post but I like it. I take extra pride in my yard now!
Sounds great! I also have lots of rechargeable LI equipment and I got a rechargeable mower to replace my gas mower this year, I am off grid so all my stuff is recharged from solar power. Make a video of your first ride and share it here please!

Back