Quirky Europe

duggie

Region
United Kingdom
Travelling around Europe is superb, your own tour. It's mind-blowing and head healthy because it is so divergent. Cities and then villages in nowhere that are centuries left alone, and yet in that there is a strange mix between modern and yester year. I'll give you an example. You are driving and pull up in a minute villiage where there are, well, an actual well for water and men playing some game under a tree, and old women in black just sat on a bench, and a donkey pulling a cart, and then a small holder with a tri-wheeled type pick up, like a lawnmower. Maybe a couple of shops all quiet. Then you go in the little tiny shop to walk around and pick your stuff, and there will be a couple of those women in there and there is this modern music blasting and no one bats an eyelid, they like it that way. Italy, Spain, etc, like this, like being in a disco, and loud.

There is such a mix. There are hippy areas, all vans in dry riverbeds and festivals. There is all sorts. Europe and USA so same?
. There is massive history: Pompeii, it is staggering. you could be transported there and straight away get a home and work and go for a good night out. They lived just as we do now. It is amazing to see that little has changed. Europe is mind blowing

I'm planning a European tour in March-April next year. My plan is to visit Switzerland, Austria, Germany, and possibly Italy. Do you guys have recommendations for places to see/stay? Cheers

Brunner, Luzern, in Switzerland. Bregenz, Innsbruck, in Austria. Don't forget that tolls are required for fast roads in both countries. We usually purchase a vignette in advance at https://vignettetoll.eu/. This is easier than standing in line at the petrol station or, worse, forgetting about it and receiving a fine later on. Have fun and please post here some pictures from your trip.

Last edited:
Eastern Europe has some interesting riding. I spent a lot of time in the Moravian region of the Czech Republic between 2006 and 2019, (two or three business trips per year, two weeks minimum each time). I kept a Specialized Stumpjumper there and rode as my primary transportation, exercise and recreation. The area that I generally rode is near the Slovakian border and sometimes I would cross into Slovakia. Many of the bike paths that interconnect the villages are paved and well maintained. The unpaved sections tend to be well maintained as well.

I often rode with a local friend that knew a lot of the region’s history and knew the best routes and places to eat. The riding was always interesting and there are lots of historic places to visit, (makeshift bomber crash site memorials, memorials to the resistance fighters, castles, farms, wildlife…). After riding, I would come back to the walking square in town and eat outside at one of the cafes. The best part is that you rarely ride on a road shared by motorized vehicles.

I doubt that I will ever get back there, but I probably had enough of that area to last me my lifetime. I would still like to ride in Scotland and England. My father was a tail gunner on a B-17 in the 452nd Bomb Group stationed at Deopham Green near Norwich and Thetford, England. I would love to explore that area by bicycle and maybe see the Isle of Man. If not, there is plenty of good riding right here at home. I don’t think that many destinations are more beautiful than Acadia or even my own back roads in rural New Hampshire and Vermont.

I'm planning a trip to Portugal for next year. To start learning about the culture, I found a video offering samples of traditional Fado music here
. One beloved Portuguese snack I'm interested in trying is pastel de nata. Many travelers enjoy major destinations like Lisbon, the Algarve, Porto, Madeira and Sintra. I'm also curious about lesser-known places such as Monsanto and Monsaraz as opportunities for a more authentic experience. In Lisbon, I may initially explore on my own to comfortably set my own pace, but for Sintra's historic sites it could be worthwhile to gain insights from a local guide such as https://gowithguide.com/portugal/sintra. As I continue researching attractions and itineraries, I aim to balance popular spots with lesser-visited gems to make the most of limited time in a country with much to discover.

Not sure how much truth there is in it, but apparently Portugal has become a destination for both UK and US expats. I personally know two couples that have moved there permanently... one from Britain, one from the states. Lots to see for sure.

Back