Brompton electric motor ticking noise

NorthLondonrider

Region
United Kingdom
Hi, new to this forum. I have a Brompton electric (bought in 2018). I'm getting a loud knocking/ticking noise from the motor when freewheeling & occasionally when pedalling. It's going in for a much-needed service and some software update/battery clip replacement in a couple of weeks, but I was wondering whether anyone has knowledge of a fix - or have had it repaired - that they could share. It was driving me crazy on the ride home from work last night.

I have just joined the forum and note your post. I bought a Brompton Electric in May 2020. Within 14 days I got a ticking noise from the front wheel/motor. Brompton replaced the front wheel and motor. Within 7 days with the new wheel the same noise appeared. Brompton replaced it again. Then on to my third wheel after a few days the noise started up again. I had already drawn Brompton's attention to others having the same issue as I found some searching the internet. I think on Facebook. Brompton refunded me in full and I bought a Tern Vektron P7i instead. No issues with it and although it is heavier it is a nicer more comfortable ride.

I have just joined the forum and note your post. I bought a Brompton Electric in May 2020. Within 14 days I got a ticking noise from the front wheel/motor. Brompton replaced the front wheel and motor. Within 7 days with the new wheel the same noise appeared. Brompton replaced it again. Then on to my third wheel after a few days the noise started up again. I had already drawn Brompton's attention to others having the same issue as I found some searching the internet. I think on Facebook. Brompton refunded me in full and I bought a Tern Vektron P7i instead. No issues with it and although it is heavier it is a nicer more comfortable ride.
I have a new Brompton 6 sp explore electric and I have the same problem after only 70 miles riding . Motor clicks on riding and freewheel - called Brompton and 48 hour replacement arranged at cob garden Brompton Junction tomorrow. I will let you know outcome. I have a Tern S10 but it is not as good as the Brompton which IST portable and manoeuvrable . Yes I use the Vektron S10 for long demanding rides and it offers disk brake and longer battery life but it is hopeless for commute- will update this thread but I am very impressed with Brompton custoservice

Update - got first class fast turnaround at Brompton junction all arranged by Brompton cusicare - new wheels fitted - no clicks yet as cycled home - they also checked out the bike and tightened up the cables - sorted out my poor fitting of my after market rack - I’m v pleased with the customer support and absolutely love the bike !! Will update if there are any other issues with the new motor

Please you have it repaired. Yes Brompton do support you. My supplier got a little frustrated in that Brompton would not initially believe/accept there was a problem. Even though I am certain they knew there was. Three replacements in a short time was enough for me. The clicking or ticking noise started a few days after each replacement,

Please you have it repaired. Yes Brompton do support you. My supplier got a little frustrated in that Brompton would not initially believe/accept there was a problem. Even though I am certain they knew there was. Three replacements in a short time was enough for me. The clicking or ticking noise started a few days after each replacement,
ok Don - i wont leave it at this - i actually have two of these bikes one for me one for my wife and if i see the problem happen again i will report it on this thread - so watch this space - im out on the bike for a short errand today but yesterday there was no problem - thanks for your feedback btw ! best rob

Hi, I had given up on this, so have just spotted the replies here. My clicking stopped for a while, but has now turned into a continuous rattle inside the motor (I think). I approached Brompton with the matter about a year ago and got the following:

"To confirm for you the noise coming from the motor could indicate an issue with the bearings. While I cannot tell you for certain what caused this we know that in some cases water ingress can wash out the grease on the bearings causing the bearings to dry out.

We cover the components against manufacturing and material defects for 2 years this would include the front wheel motor on your cycle.
Please note that this does not cover cosmetic damage, neglect, abuse or fair wear through normal use. This also includes paint, decorative finishes, and decals.

Over time, the battery, motor or other parts may need replacing and we would recommend you to do this with an authorised Brompton retailer. Due to the nature of the Front wheel motors construction it is advised to not be serviceable component so it is likely a new one will need to be purchased.

We do not sell these parts directly to customers from our online store, however currently the suggested retail price is about £600. Please note, the cost of the motor replacement is at the discretion of the retailer. "

The bike is running fine, so this latest noise is puzzling to me. I certainly don't want to be shelling out £600, given I probably only ride it once a week. If anyone else is having similar problems I'd love to hear them.

I had this noise on 2 motors.

First = after may be 3k km.
Second = after 1 week.

It always starts very low and not lasting for a few minutes.

It comes and goes, randomly. But over time it become louder and louder.

At the end, after 2 months, it is unbearable.

After x weeks :

I noticed that motor needs to be a little hot to have a loud noise. If you rest 30 min, it goes away. It seems to be on the left side. And it is here even without assitance.

The third motor died without having this noise.

So after 9k km in less than 2 years = I got 3 motor failures.

I also had a dead controler on 2 bikes !

Conclusion = the bike is not reliable at all.

That's ridiculous! I know what you mean about the noise becoming unbearable, mine starts about 1.3kms into a ride and is now a continuous rattle. The controller is also starting to play up. Back to the dealer for a diagnostic reading and service I think.

What's the state of play with your bike now?

Thanks for sharing.

My first bike works.

My second does not.

I got 2 bikes because I know it is not reliable and I can not stay with no bike.

Still I was without bike for 2 weeks as both were ill in the same time !

I don't know what the situation is on the warranty. Will need to take it to the dealer first. Will be annoying (and costly) if I have to replace it. You can't repair the motor as it's a sealed unit.

Back