Frey Ex Chainring

Bigone

Region
Canada
I recently purchased a Frey EX Pro and was wondering if anyone who with the same bike has increased the Crankring size from 40T to a larger teeth size. What would be the maximum size that would be able to fit on this frame? I use the bike for mostly commuting (overkill) and was hoping to decrease my cadence. It seems I'm spinning too much and would also like to not always be in the smallest cog in the freewheel. Would a 50T wolftooth fit?

Would be best to ask Cecilia tbh. I requested an increase to 50T on my HT1000 at the factory and the max they would fit is 44t.

I also requested larger size chainring for same reason on my HT1000. Received same answer that 44T was largest they could supply. The main consideration is clearance at the chain stay. Not sure what clearance differences are between the HT1000 and the EX, but I've seen posts by others on the forum of 48T as being max size. I wish that I had linked that post.

I have a 46T Wolftooth Narrow Wide chainring on my EX. I don't think you can fit any bigger without changing the spider.

So actually Frey just hit me up and said they are sold out of the 44T and so I had to cancel that mod. Does anyone have a link for a good 44T ring for the HT1000?

I found this one but not sure what to look for spec-wise:

Last edited:
So actually Frey just hit me up and said they are sold out of the 42T and so I had to cancel that mod. Does anyone have a link for a good 42T ring for the HT1000?

I found this one but not sure what to look for spec-wise:
That one is for the BBSHD motor so don't buy that... You want a 5 bolt 130 BCD chainring.

Raceface do 42T 130BCD Narrow Wide, and in many colours too.... I had the 44T on my EX but found I was still peddling too much, so decided to change over to a Wolftooth 46T.

Last edited:
That one is for the BBSHD motor so don't buy that... You want a 5 bolt 130 BCD chainring.

Raceface do 42T 130BCD Narrow Wide, and in many colours too.... I had the 44T on my EX but found I was still peddling too much, so decided to change over to a Wolftooth 46T.

Were you able to keep the chain guard on with a 46T? I would think that it would get in the way. With the narrow wide chain, I feel there would be no need to have a chain guard.

Were you able to keep the chain guard on with a 46T? I would think that it would get in the way. With the narrow wide chain, I feel there would be no need to have a chain guard.
You have to remove it to fit the 46T but the Narrow Wide profile does a great job of holding the chain in place. I've not dropped the chain even once.

I think I'm at the max at 46T. I don't think you can fit any bigger to an EX, unless maybe you change the Chainring Spider - but then you'll run into Chain alignment issues too.

I had to change my chain and cassette after 1600km. I guess I was using the throttle a little too much. This bike really goes through chains and cogs quickly.

Looking for some advice on Chainrings. I have the AM1000 with the Bafang Ultra MM G510.1000
I also went with the SRAM EX-1, 8-speed group set.
I would like to go with a 46 tooth chainring but I am unsure if having an 8 speed makes a difference on the type of chainring I would need.
I looked at the 46 wolftooth but it seems to be specific for 9 speed and up.
Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

I don't think the chainring cares what kind of rear gears you have. You want a narrow/wide chainring for better grip. Other things to consider when changing chainrings is chainstay spacing, BCD ( Bolt Circle Diameter ), and offset in or out to keep best align with your rear cassette. You can even change out your spider bracket, bolts to motor and chainring ( if you have one ) from a 5 bolt pattern to a 4 bolt pattern making your BCD smaller and allowing you to run a smaller chainring if desired.
Wolftooth is good as well as raceface along with others.

Do you now require a longer chain with more links due to a larger chainring? I went from a 40t to a 46t and my bike mechanic had told me that a longer chain is now required? Has anyone else run into this problem?

Bigger circle in front equels longer chain your bike mechanic is correct

Back