Shipping and warranty support outside of Vancouver

Valendius

Region
Canada
City
Metro Vancouver
The Ohm Cruise is on my short list and I'm wondering if anyone can help answer a few questions that I have. I live in Alberta if that helps.
  • How is the shipping experience with Canpar?
  • How much assembly was required when you got the bike?
  • Is the E6100 motor enough for hills?
    • The commute to work is mainly flat but there are a few steep hills
  • Anyone tried riding this in winter with winter tires?
  • Any issues with warranty that might require you to ship the bike back to Vancouver?
    • If so how much was the shipping cost?
  • How is the overall reliability of the bike?
Thank you!

I can't answer most of your questions, but I just pulled the trigger on the Cruise today, bugundy, because red is faster. :)

I'm in Toronto, and when I talked with OHM via email before purchasing they were helpful re: warranty and shipping options.

I don't think assembly is too tough, but I found they were responsive (same day) via their support page...

I was originally going to have it shipped to one of my fave LBS (which is an authorized Shimano STePS shop) to put together, but I opted to pay the extra to have it delivered via Velofix Direct. I would have gone with my LBS, but they're so swamped right now that it would have added an extra 10 days.

Normally I would do it myself (i think it's just front tire & handlebars then inspect), but figured I'd give Velofix a try, so I wouldn't have to deal with the packaging etc.

Regarding warranty, OHM mentioned in e-mail...

In downtown Toronto there are numerous shops which can service a Shimano STePS system. Do you have a favourite local shop currently? The way it generally works is that we coordinate any warranty work with your closest, most loved local shop, so that you just need to show up and have your bike repaired - easy.

So I would check to see if there are any in your area, or see if OHM can help yo. When I was emailing support, they actually double checked that my LBS was an actual authorized Shimano shop, though I didn't ask them to.

As for hill climbing, I can't answer in too much detail. When I test rode a different Shimano E6100 (Norco Scene VLT) it handled minor hills just fine - hills meaning one that goes from 8% to 12% grade for 300ish metres according to Strava- about as bad as it gets in the GTA, but YMMV. I would have considered the Scene, but it's pretty bare bones (no lights, rack, or fenders, but mainly a smidge TOO upright, like a Specialized Como).

Ohhh that is good to know the next time I buy an ebike as I ended up getting the Giant Explore E+ 2 STA 2020. Too bad Velofix doesn't service Edmonton or else I would've used them.

Have you received the Explore? That particular model was on my short list until I saw it wasn't available anywhere nearby.

I bought it in store and I have with me. I'm wiping it down and tweaking a few things before I take it for a spin tonight and will post about it. @antboy Anything you want to know in particular?

I bought it in store and I have with me. I'm wiping it down and tweaking a few things before I take it for a spin tonight and will post about it. @antboy Anything you want to know in particular?
Just curious, though I shouldn't be curious about bikes I DIDN'T buy. :D

Back