Teo flat tire

Bobkat9

My tire went flat and I got the tire off the rim with great difficulty and scratching the rim. The tire is on there really tight. Any suggestions?

Is there something special about a Teo? What kind of suggestions are you looking for? Maybe watch some You-Tube videos.

TT

Is there something special about a Teo? What kind of suggestions are you looking for? Maybe watch some You-Tube videos.

TT
The tires are Kenda Tire brand oversized 26 “x 4” tires. The bead is so tight I could barely get a screw driver in to pry the tire out.

You said you had a flat. Did you let all the air out of the tire? I have Kenda 26x4s and they are so big an soft they are just about the easiest tires to get on and off the rims. You barely need tire levers. (Find out what tire levers are. Google is your friend. Don't use a screwdriver! And seriously, search you-tube for a couple of videos on changing a bike tire. There are probably about 3000 of them, and they all explain it better visually than just about anyone can do here in words. I like Park Tool videos. Park Tools How to Change a Bike Tire

TT

You said you had a flat. Did you let all the air out of the tire? I have Kenda 26x4s and they are so big an soft they are just about the easiest tires to get on and off the rims. You barely need tire levers. (Find out what tire levers are. Google is your friend. Don't use a screwdriver! And seriously, search you-tube for a couple of videos on changing a bike tire. There are probably about 3000 of them, and they all explain it better visually than just about anyone can do here in words. I like Park Tool videos. Park Tools How to Change a Bike Tire

TT
I’ve changed dozens of flats. My tire levers weren’t strong enough to bend the tire bead over the rim. Maybe the tires are on there so tight because they can be deflated to 5psi.

I've had issues with plastic tire levers bending, depending on the tire rim combo. I use steel core tire levers now. They work nearly 100% of the time. I do keep a set of steel tire levers in the shop for the rare case when even the steel core levers aren't quite enough, but it's been years since I've had to use them. The tire rim fit got much better when we switched over to Schwalbe tires.

In my (much) younger years I would try using a screwdriver to get tires off. Rim and tube damage were my usual results....just sayin'

I’ve changed dozens of flats. My tire levers weren’t strong enough to bend the tire bead over the rim. Maybe the tires are on there so tight because they can be deflated to 5psi.
That's not my experience with my Kenda 26x4 tires. If anything, I think it's easier to break the bead on them than narrower tires. But was your problem breaking the bead or getting the bead over the rim? And you didn't say whether you removed all the air from the tire. I like to remove the valve entirely from the stem before trying to remove a tire from the rim. '

There are all kinds of tire levers, so I'm not shocked you had some that wouldn't pull the bead over the rim. I guess I'd suggest longer, coated steel levers as Sierratim suggested. Screwdrivers are pretty much a last resort. I've used them before. You can be careful enough with them most of the time.

TT

My tire went flat and I got the tire off the rim with great difficulty and scratching the rim. The tire is on there really tight. Any suggestions?
After all air is removed, pinch both beads of the tire off their seat, all the way around into the deeper central channel of the rim, it will be much looser and easier to remove.

Screenshot_20200714-203319_Chrome.jpg

I forgot to mention, it might help to pour some soapy water around the tire. I think I've always been able to break the bead by hand though.

TT

Back