Should I buy this bike?

• Buy this bike now

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Wait for next version to come out

• Don't buy, you'll regret it

• Total voters
I'm very intrigued with this bike considering the price point and what appears to be a straight-forward no fuss system. I think this one is really unique in keeping the ebike parts accessible and easily replaced, and without just slapping an elongated black box on any random bike frame (realizing that is a subjective point of view, but I like it). So kudos for that!

However, of the reviews I can find online, many of them seemed to all follow the same story line (almost the exact same order of talking points, as though from a script), and made me wonder if I'm not seeing the entire story. OR....the bike really is stylish, affordable, built with quality parts, etc....and that's why all the reviews are so similar, which would be great to hear!

In all fairness to the reviews, much of what I'm looking for can't be covered in a single test ride. So I'm looking for some help from you, the Propella owners (of any previous version. I'm looking to pre-order the 3.4):

1. How is the durability of the typical (non-electric) bike parts after 3 months, 1 year, 2 years? Are you having any abnormal (outside of normal maintenance) issues with the chain, shifters, brakes, tires, frame, etc. I see in previous posts that the brakes were an issue on version 2. Has this been fixed in version 3+?

2. How is the battery doing over time? What sort of range are you getting, and how much has it reduced over time? (Props to Propella for providing the option to purchase a new battery at low cost, and being upfront about the 2-5 yr lifespan)

3. What kind of support are you getting from the motor on hills? For those in Seattle, think climbing Marion St from waterfront to I-5? Any example will help. This one was tough to find information on. I don't expect a 250w motor to be a hill climber, just want to know what level of support to expect.

4. In all honesty, do you have any buyers remorse? Any bikes that you would have purchased instead? (sticking to this general price range, otherwise I know I'd hop on a Specialized Vado SL if I had the $):)

The Luna Stealth was very interesting, but sounds like it has some durability issues and less-than-great customer service when digging in deeper....

Thanks in advance for your help!

Last edited:
Update: I was able to take a test ride and can say the bike certainly meets expectations! This bike gives a fair level of confidence to become my trusted daily commuter with some regular maintenance. The motor certainly doesn't do all the work, which was expected, but it consistently provided support even on the steepest hills. The power levels stepped up with a natural feeling and gave a smooth transition to pure peddle power once 18 mph was reached. I turned the motor off for a good stretch of the ride and was impressed with how well it rode as a typical bike (at least compared to my Flash Bike, which is a tank without the motor assist). It was raining during the ride, so I did get a little tire skid with some hard braking, but nothing unexpected. I think I'm understanding why all the reviews are so positive. It is honestly a great bike, considering expectations at this price point.

I am still looking for feedback on any of the questions if you have any! Especially what you think after owning one of these over time. Much appreciated.

I purchased the version 4 7 speed bike about a year ago for my wife. She is 5'4 116 pounds.

1. How is the durability of the typical (non-electric) bike parts after 3 months, 1 year, 2 years? Are you having any abnormal (outside of normal maintenance) issues with the chain, shifters, brakes, tires, frame, etc. I see in previous posts that the brakes were an issue on version 2. Has this been fixed in version 3+?
I can only say the components seem to be working well. These are mechanical disc brakes and although hydraulic would be better these brakes have stayed aligned. Shifting is easy and has had no problems. The 7-speed is good for a person living in an area that has rolling to large hills. I wish they did not paint the chain white but okay, my wife thinks it's cool. The kickstand is bulky(looks like a muffler), but perhaps needs to be to hold the weight.

2. How is the battery doing over time? What sort of range are you getting, and how much has it reduced over time? (Props to Propella for providing the option to purchase a new battery at low cost, and being upfront about the 2-5 yr lifespan)
The battery is fine. I added a tiny bit of cushion to the rear of the battery because it was rattling a bit and that took care of that. At one point about the battery would not keep the connection going to the computer so it would turn off and not be easy to turn on. Thought is may of been a loose wire etc but it turned out to be a worn fuse on the battery. It was easy to replace the fuse because there is a fuse compartment on the bottom of the battery. I am thinking the fuse got damaged during a period that the bike was plugged in to charge for a loooong time while we were gone on a trip. RANGE - very good. my wife will go 25 miles with 2000 feet of climbing and still have 50% of her battery left. She rarely goes beyond level two of assistance.
3. What kind of support are you getting from the motor on hills? For those in Seattle, think climbing Marion St from waterfront to I-5? Any example will help. This one was tough to find information on. I don't expect a 250w motor to be a hill climber, just want to know what level of support to expect.
You are able to motor up hills easily. This is a rear pedal assist so it is difficult to go slow up a steep hill slowly and get pedal assist.

4. In all honesty, do you have any buyers remorse? Any bikes that you would have purchased instead? (sticking to this general price range, otherwise I know I'd hop on a Specialized Vado SL if I had the $):)
No buyer's remorse. I believe this bike will keep depreciate slowly. Yes, if you want to level up The Vado SL is perfect for a longer range and for longer touring. The Vado is a midpoint(at the pedals) power system totally different battery and output. But, if you are looking for just 35 miles and under, cruising, and not touring this is a good bike.

Back