Anyone here purchased an S3 or X3, or considering it?

breadfan85

What are your reasons for doing so? If you've already received and ridden yours? Can you provide a quick review? Thank you.

Not an owner; just my opinion. There seems to be a lot of integrated and unique components to the VM bikes. I notice they offer a three year maintenance plan...but only if you live in one of 21select cities. I would find out beforehand if any shop in your area would service a VM. If you buy one, make sure you do not lose the antitheft key. If you do not repair your own bike, the shop won't be able to remove the wheels if you don't have it with you.

Would it fit you? It is unclear how adjustable and customizable the bikes are. They use an integrated seatpost and saddle. If you do not like the saddle, you have to change both. The FAQ states you if you want to change it, you need a seatpost of 34mm. That is extremely odd size. It would appear you cannot change the handlebars either, or if you can, it would be very difficult.

Last edited:
I love how they look and they have some cool features but they don't have basic things I want. Powerful motor and big battery. So I love to look at them but I don't see myself buying one.
Besides they have a very sexy look and don't see such well designed bikes that much.

Also not an owner, but a friend just bought an S3 and X3, they live in Arlington, VA, and he was told by Vanmoof they plan to expand their stores to 50 cities including Washington, DC. He told me he bought the pair for the anti-theft tech, the price, and because he's a tall guy and his wife is not so the two models work for their family, they've bought a seatpost mounted Yepp seat for the X3 because he was told the rack is rated only to 35lb. Perhaps because he bought two bikes they arrived at his house within two weeks of purchase. At some point I'll get round to test riding them, am looking forward to experiencing the auto-shifting 4-speed Sturmey IGH.

I've got ~110 miles on my S3 now. Quick review:
- not the fastest, but it's enough especially if you're already a cyclist. if you want to ride with friends on Class III bikes, get a Class III bike.
- grades of ~8%+ are...not easy, due to power delivery and gearing. you wouldn't want to tackle much of an extended hill climb on this bike. short is fine, you can use the boost button.
- the app and tech integration are quite good, and bike has a refined feel. even the delivery / assembly experience is well designed.
- security features are excellent, one of the biggest draws for this bike IMO. I LOVE just kicking the lock button for quickish stops in the city, and unlock via my watch takes no time at all.
- I'm still mixed on the automatic shifting. I'm slowly dialing in the shift points for my riding / terrain and that's helping.
- my biggest complaint: front wheel / toe interference. I've almost put myself on the ground a few times by forgetting and catching my toe on the front tire while executing quick, tight maneuvers. I come from an MTB background so these happen by default for me, I have to train myself to avoid them.

What class does the X3 fall into? is it a class one or a class two? and can it be unlocked to class 3?

Class 2, it has a throttle, I don't believe speed can be increased above the 20mph limit

Class 2, it has a throttle, I don't believe speed can be increased above the 20mph limit
no, it's actually a class 1 bike. the boost button is not a "throttle" per se, it changes the mode of the assistance to the maximum possible as long as you're pedaling at the same time. it seems like a throttle, but it's not.

s3.PNG

there is an app called "moofer" which allows you to change the "region" of the bike to adjust the maximum assist speed, but the highest it will go is up to 35kph.

no, it's actually a class 1 bike. the boost button is not a "throttle" per se, it changes the mode of the assistance to the maximum possible as long as you're pedaling at the same time. it seems like a throttle, but it's not.
Some Raleigh & Izip ebikes from 2014-16 with TransX motors had a similar 'boost button' that required the bike be pedalled above a certain speed before it would become available to push. My friend recently told me he can ghost pedal his S3 while pushing the button and have the motor do most of the work climbing hills where he lives.

Some Raleigh & Izip ebikes from 2014-16 with TransX motors had a similar 'boost button' that required the bike be pedalled above a certain speed before it would become available to push. My friend recently told me he can ghost pedal his S3 while pushing the button and have the motor do most of the work climbing hills where he lives.
yeah, you don't have to pedal hard. the bike doesn't have a torque sensor, nor does it correlate the speed of the pedaling to the speed of the bike, AFAIK. i use boost to go up hills on a daily basis but i do tend to pedal hard too, because it's nice to go even faster!

Back