Which motor do I have please?

Ady1

Hi
I was loving my BH till the engine went pop!
The only company in the UK dealing BH has gone bust. BH Spain are ignoring me....
So I removed the engine myself, but looking online I have no idea which engine it is.
It looks nothing like the Dapu mid drive engine and has no identification markings on it, other than a code that Google doesn't recognise.
Can anyone please help to identify my engine?
The sacrificial helical planetary gear has failed and I need a replacement - but not getting anywhere :(
Thanks
Ady - Hull, England

Attachments

• 20200118_221606.jpg
    20200118_221606.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 1,123
  • 20200117_103731.jpg
    20200117_103731.jpg
    215.3 KB · Views: 2,172
  • 20200117_103949.jpg
    20200117_103949.jpg
    202.4 KB · Views: 1,359
From this BH 2019 brochure (page 50 & 58) your motor appears to have been labelled by BH as a BH 1E-36V which was made by Dapu, but does not resemble the current 2nd generation Dapu MD250 mid-drive. I suggest asking for advice in the e-bike technical forum of Endless-Sphere as the guys there are experienced enough they could probably identify an obscure item like that gear.

Re: BH ignoring you, just curious but did you get the bike in the UK from 50 Cycles, if I recall they were a former distributor for BH Bikes in the UK - their troubles were described in a thread on the UK pedelecs forum, there was a post by 50 Cycles last November encouraging folk who bought a BH Bike from them or any dealer in the UK to register the purchase details on a form and they would pass it on to a new service partner in the UK to handle BH Bikes warranty issues.

Last edited:
Hi Dewey,
Thanks for your prompt reply.
I will check out your suggestion of 'Endless_Sphere", as that is exactly why I joined this forum.
re: BH ignoring me, yes, 50 Cycles and 50 cycles distribution all dead ends. My bike should still be under warranty, but 50 cycles never gave me a receipt, so I couldn't register the bike.
However - using your link, I have now registered the bike, along with proof via emails, rather than receipt.
My other option is to find the maker of the engine, not Dapu, apparently.
Really appreciate your help Dewey
Kind regards
Adrian

find the maker of the engine, not Dapu, apparently.
Sorry, just Googling around I saw that mentioned on an Aussie ebike shop specs, apologies if that is incorrect, not meaning to criticize Dapu their MD250/350/500 as reviewed on this site appears to be a reasonable mid-drive motor.

Last edited:
You can also register for the warranty on line... just need to find a local shop to work on it.

(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

You can also register for the warranty on line
Unsure if that will work for the OP as the registration form requires a date on the sales receipt (and the OP says he was not given a sales receipt), and in Spanish below that box it says "this date is binding for the approval of futurGos after-sales files" so it's possible they may require a copy of the receipt to accompany any warranty claim not filed by a current BH dealer. From the OP's complaint and the UK Pedelecs thread it appears BH are not dealing directly with 50 Cycles customers but are requiring 50 Cycles to authorize/pass on their details to the new UK BH Bikes service partner, and while 50 Cycles have responded by asking customers who bought a BH bike from their former business to self-identify by filling out a form, it is unclear why they or the old company's legal administrators cannot simply check the old company records to identify to whom they sold a BH bike in the past 2 years BH warranty period.

Adrian, sorry to read you have been inconvenienced but perhaps you might like to post here & on the UK Pedelecs forum thread if, now that you have filled out the form, whether you hear anything back from either 50 Cycles or the new BH Bikes UK service partner.

Last edited:
Hi Flat6
No one will touch it as they are not popular in this country.
I've been trying for ages ;)

Hi Flat6
No one will touch it as they are not popular in this country.
I've been trying for ages ;)

Bummer... I suppose your best option is then to continue your quest to identify the motor and replace the nylon gear yourself.

Good luck and let us know what happens. ;)

P.S. I have a BH mountain bike with the Yamaha PW-X motor and local dealers in the US will work on it and provide support.

Thanks Flat6
Exactly why I came on here... I wondered if anyone was in the same position, or could identify the motor used.
Worst case scenario, I could maybe get one made.
Thanks for your reply.
Ady

Off topic but I don't understand why companies with a good reputation like BH Bikes feel they have to compete at every price point by introducing motor types from multiple manufacturers, Bianchi are currently doing this with their new Lif-E line of ebikes, with no fewer than 6 different motors and the one's they label eGoing are simply rebranded Bafang hub and mid-drives. I can only think there are bicycle company marketing executives who truly do not understand the ebike market and are throwing everything at every price point/sub-sector in a misguided effort to find out what customers are prepared to pay for/what models sell. It seems ridiculous for every major company to repeat this, I thought that was what market research was for?

Last edited:
To be fair to them Dewey, by me only affording an entry level e-mtb, it gave me 5 fantastic months on it.... I am a convert and I bought my wife one too (though not mtb).
My point is, I will definitely get this one going again and learn from the experience, that is "you get what you pay for"!
👍

can't you buy that nylon gear ? is that the only thing damaged ?

you could buy an used motor like that or lower power and use the gears or all parts you need...

can't you buy that nylon gear ? is that the only thing damaged ?

you could buy a used motor like that or lower power and use the gears or all parts you need...

That is what the OP is attempting to do... let him know if you have a lead on the motor or parts.

Just to put this one to bed.....
All fixed now.
I found a retired engineer who machined a new gear (and a spare) and fitted it and put it all back together for £200 - all works perfect, albeit, the motor is a bit noisier.
Happy days....
Ady

Just to put this one to bed.....
All fixed now.
I found a retired engineer who machined a new gear (and a spare) and fitted it and put it all back together for £200 - all works perfect, albeit, the motor is a bit noisier.
Happy days....
Ady
That's awesome! Nice resource to have in your back pocket.

Just to put this one to bed..... All fixed now.

Happy days....

Ady

Glad to hear your story had a happy ending. ;)

I wonder if the new gear could also be computer printed?

Last edited:
Hi
I was loving my BH till the engine went pop!
The only company in the UK dealing BH has gone bust. BH Spain are ignoring me....
So I removed the engine myself, but looking online I have no idea which engine it is.
It looks nothing like the Dapu mid drive engine and has no identification markings on it, other than a code that Google doesn't recognise.
Can anyone please help to identify my engine?
The sacrificial helical planetary gear has failed and I need a replacement - but not getting anywhere :(
Thanks
Ady - Hull, England

Just for your information, that's a Brose motor and the bike lineup is called "atom" series.
The motor needs maintenance every 10 to 12 thousands kms.

For future reference:

Hi Ravi
Possibly my mistake, but according to my research and viewing my stripped engine. Mine is the Dapu engine and not the Brose. Mine is direct drive and a slightly different modular shape.
Just for clarification and discussion Ravi.
Kind regards
Ady

Back