271 Miles... Follow Up Review On My Watt Wagons Ultimate Commuter

Ayl

When I saw the Bafang readout showing 271 miles on the odometer I was a bit surprised. I really enjoy ebiking, and I honestly feel like I don't get out often enough, but since I've got a couple of hundred miles in, I figure I'd share my thoughts and findings on my Ultimate Commuter.

On my homebrew ebike I avoided dirt roads, especially wet, muddy roads. The wheels were 700 x 32 size. Over the holidays I took my Ultimate Commuter out one morning with a little rain, and onto a muddy back road. I had no problems thanks to the tires, and the fenders kept me mud free.

The larger front chainring, and smaller rear sprocket is working out great. I'm into actively shifting gears when I'm ebiking, and putting more of the gear ranges of the Rohloff into use. Looking back, I should have requested this when my Ultimate Commuter was being built.

My confidence and riding ability with my Ultimate Commuter has grown quite quickly. The first time my Ultimate Commuter took me up a steep incline my reaction was "whoaaaaaa, this motor is a beast!" Now that I've gotten used to the power of the Bafang Ultra my reaction zipping up a steep incline is now, "Weeeee!" I think one other thing I would have changed from the start of the build besides the chainring and rear sprocket would have been to have gone with the 1000w motor instead of the 750w.

Since my last post, I also changed my handlebar. I liked the width of Origin8 Strongbow, and the grips towards the inside. The issue with the Strongbow was that the hand grips in the center were enclosed and limiting some real estate. The new handlebar has the same width, with a slight rise, but I added my bar ends towards the middle to give me the different hand positions offered by the Strongbow. However, with the bar ends not enclosed there's a little more real estate to move my items around. I find this a personal thing, and I think for some the Strongbow may take care of their preferred riding position.

In closing I can say I'm still in awe of my Ultimate Commuter, and always looking forward to my next excursion. I plan to get a Gopro or figure out a way to safely shoot some video for inclusion on my next Ultimate Commuter follow up review.

Happy New Year!

Attachments

• Mileage.jpg
    Mileage.jpg
    213 KB · Views: 408
  • Front Fender.jpg
    Front Fender.jpg
    512.1 KB · Views: 439
  • Rear Fender.jpg
    Rear Fender.jpg
    624.5 KB · Views: 451
  • Left Profile.jpg
    Left Profile.jpg
    572.6 KB · Views: 449
What is your reasoning for wanting the 1000w vs 750w? How about the chainring and rear sprocket, specs?

What brand is the handlebar you switched to? And how about that seat bag, it looks like a good fit!

What is your reasoning for wanting the 1000w vs 750w? How about the chainring and rear sprocket, specs?

What brand is the handlebar you switched to? And how about that seat bag, it looks like a good fit!

Hi BillP,
I think the extra watts would help on trail riding and rough terrain.

I'm currently using a Gates 60 tooth front chainring, and a Gates 19 tooth rear sprocket. The Gates belt drive size is 125t. I had the front chainring and belt drive left over from my previous homebrew ebike, and Pushkar was generous with an offer to swap me the stock 22t rear sprocket with the 19t sprocket. Regarding the front chainring, I think a 63 tooth would also fit on my Ultimate Commuter, but a 70 tooth could end up hitting the chain stays.

The handlebar brand/model I'm currently using is the Spank Spoon MTB Handlebar with a 31.8mm Clamp and a 785mm Width.

The rear seat bag is indeed a perfect fit. It's a Topeak seat pack Aero Wedge saddle bag size L. It carries my bicycle pump, patch kits, and all the tools needed to do a broad range of work on my Ultimate Commuter while I'm out and about. I learned my lesson early on that it's best to keep your tools with you even when going out for a quick spin around the block.

Ayl,

Thanks for the intel. So with your larger front chainring, and smaller rear sprocket, what gear do you find yourself typically using?
The Aero Wedge bag is a MUST.

Thanks again

Reactions: Ayl
Ayl,

Thanks for the intel. So with your larger front chainring, and smaller rear sprocket, what gear do you find yourself typically using?
The Aero Wedge bag is a MUST.

Thanks again

When I'm at a traffic light, or some other complete stop, and my PAS level is at a 3 or 4, I usually shift down to 9th or 8th gear on the Rohloff. If I'm at a complete stop, but I want to take off quickly, then I'll have the PAS at 5, but the Rohloff at 6th or 7th gear, then shifting up as my speed increases. When I'm on the road, and enjoying the ride I typically find myself naturally moving up to the highest PAS and Rohloff gear. If say I'm on a sidewalk where I'm unable to increase my speed to the highest gear and PAS level, then my typical PAS level is 3, and somewhere around 8th or 9th gear on the Rohloff.

Back