New purchase

JAS♪™

I decided (after a year of research & contemplation.. & saving $) to buy a "DJ folding bike" (a style name might sell better). It came stock with everything that Rad Bikes offered as add-ons, including working headlights & brakelights, for my $1499 price point (hint: it's $100 less by buying from the company and not through Amazon). I ordered it Friday and it showed up TODAY (a day early). I put it together in about 20 minutes (1/2 that time was clipping-off zip ties!) and was able to do a 20 min test drive on pavement, gravel, and a pretty steep hill. I'm glad I went for the 750W motor, it had NO problem getting up the hill on its own with my +250# (my injured foot had enough by then).

It seems that mid-year batteries jumped up 10Ah in the affordable range, and this bike has 13Ah; plenty for my needs and with 48V throughput it jumps from the line. In fact I need to go into the settings as PA1 seems to be nothing and PA2 is a bit much.

Headlight & taillights integrated was very hard to find & I almost settled for battery lights on another brand. Fit & Finish are very nice except that the bolt sockets for the front basket are a millimeter or 2 off; just far enough that they can't be wiggled into place. I have an email sent to the company to see what they want to do. Oh, and it was +$200 if I wanted black (the only other option). As I'm not going to be doing any rad jumps down at the skate park, white will do just fine. :)

I appreciate all the input (& concerns) I got from my pleas for help here (in the 'buying a bike' section). I'm definitely going to stick around the forums with all this friendly information available. :^)

Jas

I decided (after a year of research & contemplation.. & saving $) to buy a "DJ folding bike" (a style name might sell better). It came stock with everything that Rad Bikes offered as add-ons, including working headlights & brakelights, for my $1499 price point (hint: it's $100 less by buying from the company and not through Amazon). I ordered it Friday and it showed up TODAY (a day early). I put it together in about 20 minutes (1/2 that time was clipping-off zip ties!) and was able to do a 20 min test drive on pavement, gravel, and a pretty steep hill. I'm glad I went for the 750W motor, it had NO problem getting up the hill on its own with my +250# (my injured foot had enough by then).

It seems that mid-year batteries jumped up 10Ah in the affordable range, and this bike has 13Ah; plenty for my needs and with 48V throughput it jumps from the line. In fact I need to go into the settings as PA1 seems to be nothing and PA2 is a bit much.

Headlight & taillights integrated was very hard to find & I almost settled for battery lights on another brand. Fit & Finish are very nice except that the bolt sockets for the front basket are a millimeter or 2 off; just far enough that they can't be wiggled into place. I have an email sent to the company to see what they want to do. Oh, and it was +$200 if I wanted black (the only other option). As I'm not going to be doing any rad jumps down at the skate park, white will do just fine. :)

I appreciate all the input (& concerns) I got from my pleas for help here (in the 'buying a bike' section). I'm definitely going to stick around the forums with all this friendly information available. :^)

Jas
Hi Jas,

Welcome to the forum. I am long time lurker and finally decided to post. I am a proud owner od the dj folding bike and purchased it for many of the same reasons.

The bike has alot value with great build quality and integrated brake lights,led display,fenders and front and rear racks. I have around 900 miles and will 1k soon. The owner has been great while providing excellent support.

Let me know how your experience has been and questions you have. Feel free to share any customizations you have done as well.

Because my bike will be both for exercise and a 'carbon offset' for my van, I bought some expanding panniers and a bag for the front basket. Because I'm weird I found these in a 'WWII motorcycle' style. (Pic below) it's just seemed to 'fit'. :) They work great; panniers roll open to double their size, and the front back holds the chain & cable (cable to front tire, chain through back & frame; smaller on the seat permanently). Having had a motorcycle in my past (I think I still have an 'M' on my license) has come in handy to feel comfortable using power to reduce pain when I start pedaling. There's a different kind of balance that could throw you off if you've been a bicyclist but never used power before.

Sorry; rambling...

DJ Bikes had been very friendly but also slow in responding (which I think is holiday overwhelm, not lack of professionalism). They've promised to send a new rack (hoping that it's the rack welding that was done wrong and not the bike-receiver welding) but I'm still waiting.. in the last correspondence he was contacting the manufacturing folks.

The only change from original plans is that I don't actually fold the bike in half much (if ever). It fits inside the side of my van so nicely that I just fold down the handlebars and lock it in place upright. That's going to save wear & year on the bike AND myself!

I contacted DJ Bikes AND EBR suggesting that they should be reviewed as an alternative to Rad Bikes (last year they offered more for $500 less), so I hope to see them on here some time & on a video review. The '19 Rad Bikes have caught up a bit with integrated lighting but I think you still pay extra for fenders and racks. Although I would have gone for a step-through, I'm still happy with my purchase; and athough I'm still very low on my odometer, your 900 miles is very encouraging. Wait till spring! :^)

Jas

Attachments

• PicsArt_12-17-08.31.44.jpg
    PicsArt_12-17-08.31.44.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 719
  • P_20190105_212607_vHDR_Auto.jpg
    P_20190105_212607_vHDR_Auto.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 756
Because my bike will be both for exercise and a 'carbon offset' for my van, I bought some expanding panniers and a bag for the front basket. Because I'm weird I found these in a 'WWII motorcycle' style. (Pic below) it's just seemed to 'fit'. :) They work great; panniers roll open to double their size, and the front back holds the chain & cable (cable to front tire, chain through back & frame; smaller on the seat permanently). Having had a motorcycle in my past (I think I still have an 'M' on my license) has come in handy to feel comfortable using power to reduce pain when I start pedaling. There's a different kind of balance that could throw you off if you've been a bicyclist but never used power before.

Sorry; rambling...

DJ Bikes had been very friendly but also slow in responding (which I think is holiday overwhelm, not lack of professionalism). They've promised to send a new rack (hoping that it's the rack welding that was done wrong and not the bike-receiver welding) but I'm still waiting.. in the last correspondence he was contacting the manufacturing folks.

The only change from original plans is that I don't actually fold the bike in half much (if ever). It fits inside the side of my van so nicely that I just fold down the handlebars and lock it in place upright. That's going to save wear & year on the bike AND myself!

I contacted DJ Bikes AND EBR suggesting that they should be reviewed as an alternative to Rad Bikes (last year they offered more for $500 less), so I hope to see them on here some time & on a video review. The '19 Rad Bikes have caught up a bit with integrated lighting but I think you still pay extra for fenders and racks. Although I would have gone for a step-through, I'm still happy with my purchase; and athough I'm still very low on my odometer, your 900 miles is very encouraging. Wait till spring! :^)

Jas

Jas -that is awesome. Thanks very much for sharing.

I had my first flat at 280 miles while commuting. The 20x4 tire tube is not common locally and the ebike shop that had them closed after buying the last one. I have two on hand now just in case. Changing the rear tire was a pain but was made easier following the directions for 2017/2016 rad mini as they share the same frame and bafang motor. Although some have said thats rads 750 is really 500 in disguise.

Daniel sent me a test controller, as people complained how pas 1 jumped them to about 15mph right away. At first this was daunting, but i have gotten accustomed and appreciate that versus the other. I am not sure your biked shipped with the orginal or revised one.

I had issues ridding in light rain and eventually battery died. It was a one month wait for the battery as they where out of stock and had to be ordered from china. The screw came lose from my kickstand and he sent me a new one which arrived within 2 weeks. For now i only ride when its dry and above 40 degrees. Winter is not my friend. My commute is about 30 miles round trip. My max speed down hill was 30 mph and i average about 17mph.

My mods so far are:

1. i swapped the bell for an ehorn.
2. Swapped seat to a cloud 9 suspension seat.
3.changed front brake pads to ceramic from metal.
4. Added led rim lights and led light strip as I do night riding.
5.reinforced controller area to better waterproof. it

Future mods include hydrallic breaks and possibly changing the free well. I also purchased secondary charger so i can top off at work as well connecting ito to a wifi plug to cutoff overnight once hit 80 percent capacity.

My only gripe is that i wish the battery was in the frame and a slighter higher capacity. But over all you will be hard pressed to find a better ebike value for under $1,500. Give point to rad for the higher batter capacity and user manual which is more detailed. I learned more about caring for the bike from rad mini owners.

Long post . . . There we even ?

Attachments

• IMG_20181110_210046.jpg
    IMG_20181110_210046.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 895
  • 20181002_080828.jpg
    20181002_080828.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 778
  • 20181227_075129.jpg
    20181227_075129.jpg
    5.8 MB · Views: 789
Also i was upset ebr did not review the folding model as There other reviews for the other models help made my purchase easier. Dj should be doing 2019 refresh in time for summer and I am curious what they have in store.

My battery is 13aH, was yours (the early ones) much less? Those will of course go up every year with technology..

I looked long & hard at more conventional tire sizes, but I think I would have busted those bikes even with my light riding; I'm well over the weight limit. I'll look to buy some backup tires before I get too far down the road.

I don't know that they WILL review DJ; Daniel replied to me and it sounded like they had all the business they could handle, and although EBR thanked me, I think their policy of charging for inclusion means that they probably won't review unless asked. I 'get' why they do that and it keeps us from having to watch commercials, I just hope it a) doesn't water-down criticisms, and b) miss the little guy.

No disrespect, EBR, you helped me a lot in my research and I thank you!

Jas

Yes same battery. I weigh 260 and ride with an additional 15lbs of gear. Bike is very durable the fat tires help contribute to a comfy ride. I enjoy the option of riding to the city or going off road on a dirt trail.

Additional fish tail batteries with higher ah capacities can be found on Alibaba. Hoping to get 2 years out of the battery or more.

Back