My Falco review

HarryB

Why E’Bike?
I am in my early 60s. I have been a road cyclist for 25-30 years. About 5 years ago, lower back issues and surgery forced me off my upright drop-bar road bike. In an effort to stay in the game, I turned to a long wheel base recumbent. The Easy Racers Tour Easy. Here are a few photos of my bent prior to the conversion. https://electricbikereview.com/forums/threads/hello-all-bent-rider-in-southeast-pa.23937/
I love the bent. I would never go back to an upright even if I could. (I still have my upright) However, I really miss the social aspect of road cycling. When I tried to ride with my friends, I was working too hard to enjoy the activity. Hence, I rode alone 99.9% of the time.
Also, I commute to work. Even though it is only 5 miles, I get pretty sweaty most days.
My goals in going E’Bent…
  • Enjoy riding anywhere I want to ride and with anyone I want to ride with!
  • Arrive at work without needing a shower!
Why Falco?
As I stated above, I love this bike. I DID NOT want a different bike! So my focus was on conversion systems. The only motor type option to convert this bike is a direct drive hub motor. Fortunately, my timing was such that BionX was already down for the count. Else, they would have been in the running. If I had purchased the BionX system, I would have ended up with a closed architecture system that may have been orphaned.
This narrowed the choices to the Falco system, the Superpedestrian/Copenhagen Wheel, cheap Chinese systems, or, piece something together with cheap Chinese components.
The Superpedestrian was quickly eliminated as I (sorry loyal fans) can’t stand the big red Frisbee appearance and the internal proprietary battery arrangement worries me for longevity purposes.
The more I researched the more it became obvious the Falco system was the only choice for me. I know it is probably the most expensive choice. However, anything else I considered would have forced me to make compromises I just was not willing to accept.
Here are some of the system attributes I found attractive:
  • I read everything I could find on the internet. I watched every video I could find. I perused the forums and blogs. Especially EBR. And then I had a lengthy discussion with Rakesh Dhawan. Rakesh is the founder, inventor, heart and soul of Falco. It became absolutely clear to me he has been defining, nurturing and developing his vision of the absolute best E-system for many years. I came away with the utmost respect and confidence in Rakesh and his company.
  • Ease of installation. See my post and photos here. https://electricbikereview.com/foru...-installed-on-my-easy-racers-tour-easy.24271/
  • Neat and clean installation. The controller is in the motor and wirelessly communicates to the control and parameterization app on my Iphone. Everything except the battery and cable is at the rear wheel.
  • Open architecture. With the Falco motor, you can use your battery, your phone, etc. (however, warranty stipulates you use the Falco Battery)
  • Completely customizable. Or not…you can just hook it up and go. It works right out of the box. Although, you will most likely want to tailor the performance to you and your style of riding.
  • Five year warranty on the motor. Two years on the battery.
  • Incorporation of quality 3rd party components. Such as, Velocity wheels and Sapim spokes specifically designed for heavy duty E-bike applications, and, high quality Li battery cells from Japanese manufactures.
Ordering from and Dealing with Falco?
Once the decision was made, it was a simple matter of ordering from the site. You have to choose your speed limit, wheel size, drivetrain (be careful here. I specified SRAM 9 speed and did not realize I was ordering a new cassette which I did not need), throttle, drop out angle, spoke color and count. http://www.electricbicycleworld.com/copy-of-f7-9-750w-672wh-ebike-system/
The lead time is stated to be 1-4 weeks. I had my system in 5 weeks.
I am not a patient guy. To say the least! I, like most of us today, have been spoiled with same day shipping and the like. My advice, be patient. It is well worth the wait!
Poor Rakesh, I was a real pain in the a** the whole time. He always immediately answered my emails and was very patient with me. Their website has one of those “may I help you or contact us” flags floating around. They actually pay attention to it and respond immediately or within a very short period of time. Great customer service!!
Installation?
Details and photos available here.
https://electricbikereview.com/foru...-installed-on-my-easy-racers-tour-easy.24271/
Operation and performance?
I must say, the system has exceeded all of my expectations. I had 2 small issues that were quickly resolved with minor torque sensor parameter adjustments. The app is great. It does everything you need to do except the throttle. You need the all in one plus/minus module or a twist or thumb throttle if you want that functionality.
I run in cruise mode all the time. I found it annoying with the motor cutting in/out at 20mph. I use assist level 3 except when I encounter a serious climb. In cruise mode I quickly run out of gears on the flats. Which is probably a good thing! The typical average speed for my rides has gone from 11-13mph to 18-20mph!! Riding with a great big smile on my face the entire time.
I have not yet nailed down the range. I am still playing and having too much fun to conserve. I can tell you It is at least 50miles. I did that this past Saturday riding the rolling terrain here in SE PA.
I literally cannot hear the motor at all. Very smooth and quiet
Summary
I am very, very pleased and happy with the decision to buy the Falco System. I will recommend to anyone who will listen to me go on and on…Thank You Rakesh and the entire Falco team. Keep up the good work!
Sincerely, Harry Bauer

Why E’Bike?
I am in my early 60s. I have been a road cyclist for 25-30 years. About 5 years ago, lower back issues and surgery forced me off my upright drop-bar road bike. In an effort to stay in the game, I turned to a long wheel base recumbent. The Easy Racers Tour Easy. Here are a few photos of my bent prior to the conversion. https://electricbikereview.com/forums/threads/hello-all-bent-rider-in-southeast-pa.23937/
I love the bent. I would never go back to an upright even if I could. (I still have my upright) However, I really miss the social aspect of road cycling. When I tried to ride with my friends, I was working too hard to enjoy the activity. Hence, I rode alone 99.9% of the time.
Also, I commute to work. Even though it is only 5 miles, I get pretty sweaty most days.
My goals in going E’Bent…
  • Enjoy riding anywhere I want to ride and with anyone I want to ride with!
  • Arrive at work without needing a shower!
Why Falco?
As I stated above, I love this bike. I DID NOT want a different bike! So my focus was on conversion systems. The only motor type option to convert this bike is a direct drive hub motor. Fortunately, my timing was such that BionX was already down for the count. Else, they would have been in the running. If I had purchased the BionX system, I would have ended up with a closed architecture system that may have been orphaned.
This narrowed the choices to the Falco system, the Superpedestrian/Copenhagen Wheel, cheap Chinese systems, or, piece something together with cheap Chinese components.
The Superpedestrian was quickly eliminated as I (sorry loyal fans) can’t stand the big red Frisbee appearance and the internal proprietary battery arrangement worries me for longevity purposes.
The more I researched the more it became obvious the Falco system was the only choice for me. I know it is probably the most expensive choice. However, anything else I considered would have forced me to make compromises I just was not willing to accept.
Here are some of the system attributes I found attractive:
  • I read everything I could find on the internet. I watched every video I could find. I perused the forums and blogs. Especially EBR. And then I had a lengthy discussion with Rakesh Dhawan. Rakesh is the founder, inventor, heart and soul of Falco. It became absolutely clear to me he has been defining, nurturing and developing his vision of the absolute best E-system for many years. I came away with the utmost respect and confidence in Rakesh and his company.
  • Ease of installation. See my post and photos here. https://electricbikereview.com/foru...-installed-on-my-easy-racers-tour-easy.24271/
  • Neat and clean installation. The controller is in the motor and wirelessly communicates to the control and parameterization app on my Iphone. Everything except the battery and cable is at the rear wheel.
  • Open architecture. With the Falco motor, you can use your battery, your phone, etc. (however, warranty stipulates you use the Falco Battery)
  • Completely customizable. Or not…you can just hook it up and go. It works right out of the box. Although, you will most likely want to tailor the performance to you and your style of riding.
  • Five year warranty on the motor. Two years on the battery.
  • Incorporation of quality 3rd party components. Such as, Velocity wheels and Sapim spokes specifically designed for heavy duty E-bike applications, and, high quality Li battery cells from Japanese manufactures.
Ordering from and Dealing with Falco?
Once the decision was made, it was a simple matter of ordering from the site. You have to choose your speed limit, wheel size, drivetrain (be careful here. I specified SRAM 9 speed and did not realize I was ordering a new cassette which I did not need), throttle, drop out angle, spoke color and count. http://www.electricbicycleworld.com/copy-of-f7-9-750w-672wh-ebike-system/
The lead time is stated to be 1-4 weeks. I had my system in 5 weeks.
I am not a patient guy. To say the least! I, like most of us today, have been spoiled with same day shipping and the like. My advice, be patient. It is well worth the wait!
Poor Rakesh, I was a real pain in the a** the whole time. He always immediately answered my emails and was very patient with me. Their website has one of those “may I help you or contact us” flags floating around. They actually pay attention to it and respond immediately or within a very short period of time. Great customer service!!
Installation?
Details and photos available here.
https://electricbikereview.com/foru...-installed-on-my-easy-racers-tour-easy.24271/
Operation and performance?
I must say, the system has exceeded all of my expectations. I had 2 small issues that were quickly resolved with minor torque sensor parameter adjustments. The app is great. It does everything you need to do except the throttle. You need the all in one plus/minus module or a twist or thumb throttle if you want that functionality.
I run in cruise mode all the time. I found it annoying with the motor cutting in/out at 20mph. I use assist level 3 except when I encounter a serious climb. In cruise mode I quickly run out of gears on the flats. Which is probably a good thing! The typical average speed for my rides has gone from 11-13mph to 18-20mph!! Riding with a great big smile on my face the entire time.
I have not yet nailed down the range. I am still playing and having too much fun to conserve. I can tell you It is at least 50miles. I did that this past Saturday riding the rolling terrain here in SE PA.
I literally cannot hear the motor at all. Very smooth and quiet
Summary
I am very, very pleased and happy with the decision to buy the Falco System. I will recommend to anyone who will listen to me go on and on…Thank You Rakesh and the entire Falco team. Keep up the good work!
Sincerely, Harry Bauer

Harry once the app is installed on the phone do you need cell service to connect? If you drop service in the boonies while riding does the motor continue to run as though no cell service was lost? Without cell service during a ride can you change assist levels?
Thanks
Mike

@bowzette mike the app connects to the edrive directly cell service is not required or involved at all. It's local.
Fyi if you just do @HarryB. You don't need to use forum bandwidth by reposting the original post

My guess is it's communicating with Bluetooth. Can the phone be kept charged off the battery? What happens if the phone dies?

Is Falco a direct or geared hub drive? Does it have a torque sensor?

I've had several hub motored ebikes and found them quite satisfactory in terms of power, but both were throttle operated and must say I've gotten spoiled with my Bosch system and it's responsive torque sensor.

I don't own a Falco yet but have been studying the Falco and other systems with torque sensor. Yes the Falco has a torque sensor. The owner Rakesh told me the Dolphin style battery pack can charge a phone but not the Shark style. Performance looks to be the same just different style pack. I am assuming Rakesh knows what he's talking about. I plan on buying the Dolphin style battery to keep the phone charged. I will do this even if I buy a wired display, not sure I will, in case I want to use the phone instead.

@rannyv the Falco hub motor is direct drive. I literally have to strain and turn my head sideways to hear it. The torque sensor is very impressive and completely customizable.
The edrive system defaults to level 5 assist. So if you were to just install the wheel and the battery, off you go! Therefore, if your interface to the controller (which is imbedded in the motor housing) fails, not a problem!
HB

Sounds impressive. I have a bike frame and parts that have been sitting around for years. Maybe I'll build it up with the Falco this winter. Direct drive motors are nice for the silence and although I've heard lots of complaints about hill climbing abilities without the benefit of gearing, my experience has been that DD motors provide plenty of power for my use cases.

The only time I have suffered from hill climbing deficiencies was when riding around my place in southern VT. Very looooooong climbs (4% average for 9.5 miles was the worst I attempted). The motor is programmed to start rolling back the available assist at 60C. and once it gets to 90C there is very little assist current available. The motor shuts off completely at 115C. I never got even close to that. These programmed rollbacks are able to be bypassed with turbo mode. Except of course the 115C shutdown. Turbo mode is not accessible, currently, with the app. Only with the console. Rakesh has added Turbo mode to the app and will be available with the new update due out any day.

The flip side of that is that when you have long arduous ascents, you also have long descents. The regenerative braking and recharge of the battery is awesome. For instance, on the ride I am referring to, It was 30 miles in the mountains and I returned to the cabin with 49V in the battery. I could have ridden the bike all day at that rate! Amazing!

Last edited:
Harry let us know when you get the new app update and how well it works. Did it fix the old issues without creating new ones. BTW are you using IPhone or Android? I have a relatively new Motorola Droid. Do you know if the android app and Apple app work about as well?

Back