Smartmotion Catalyst

Gonflyn

Hello, just bought my first electric bike, a 2017 Catalyst and would love to hear more peoples experiences, likes/dislikes regarding this model or Smartmotion in general.

I was initially hesitant about a 2017 model Catalyst as it sounds like next year they are switching to a mid drive, which seems to be a trend currently for a lot of manufacturers. I wondered if rear hubs were fading out but see that there are still a lot of them out there and that they do have some advantages, price being one. Sounds like next years will be jumping up in cost and the 2017 did seem like a pretty competent bike for the money.

I really like the way this bike rides, great for cruising or occasional light trail duty while not worrying about hopping curbs here and there when riding pavement. I dont do any serious mountain biking, so dont think I'll miss having a mid drive, and this thing seems to do just fine climbing hills anyway while also being quick and efficient on moderate terrain.

I was also looking for excellent range so I got the 17.5 amp battery and couldn't be happier. Rode 22 miles in torque sensing mode on level 1 and used only two out of ten bars. Another day rode 47 miles hard on level 3
pretty much the whole way, maintaining speed mostly in the low to mid 20's and still had 3 tenths battery left at the end. I think you could get a legitimate 100 miles out of this battery at low assist. Yet another day while riding with my wife rode 24 miles with no assist except for a couple of boosts up some steep hills, using no battery to speak of. It was a good workout but didnt feel terribly different than riding a normal trail bike. I love the versatility of this bike including the ability to choose between torque and cadence sensing , how cool is that? I have left it in torque so far because I like the control it affords but wouldn't rule out using cadence occasionally for just cruising, and it's great to know it's there if I want it.

The bike has an overall solid quality feel to it. Components all seem decent mid level grade and are working well so far. I put a Selle Royal Respiro seat on it, as I felt the stock seat was to harsh for any sort of distance riding, as well as a Suntour SP12 suspension seatpost to help with the comfort factor, and now feel like I could ride all day.

It will be interesting to see what happens with the company in the next few years. Really hoping that the brand grows and is successful going forward.

Anyway, please share your thoughts on this model or brand, it would great to see more posts on the Smartmotion forum.

Hello, just bought my first electric bike, a 2017 Catalyst and would love to hear more peoples experiences, likes/dislikes regarding this model or Smartmotion in general.

I was initially hesitant about a 2017 model Catalyst as it sounds like next year they are switching to a mid drive, which seems to be a trend currently for a lot of manufacturers. I wondered if rear hubs were fading out but see that there are still a lot of them out there and that they do have some advantages, price being one. Sounds like next years will be jumping up in cost and the 2017 did seem like a pretty competent bike for the money.

I really like the way this bike rides, great for cruising or occasional light trail duty while not worrying about hopping curbs here and there when riding pavement. I dont do any serious mountain biking, so dont think I'll miss having a mid drive, and this thing seems to do just fine climbing hills anyway while also being quick and efficient on moderate terrain.

I was also looking for excellent range so I got the 17.5 amp battery and couldn't be happier. Rode 22 miles in torque sensing mode on level 1 and used only two out of ten bars. Another day rode 47 miles hard on level 3
pretty much the whole way, maintaining speed mostly in the low to mid 20's and still had 3 tenths battery left at the end. I think you could get a legitimate 100 miles out of this battery at low assist. Yet another day while riding with my wife rode 24 miles with no assist except for a couple of boosts up some steep hills, using no battery to speak of. It was a good workout but didnt feel terribly different than riding a normal trail bike. I love the versatility of this bike including the ability to choose between torque and cadence sensing , how cool is that? I have left it in torque so far because I like the control it affords but wouldn't rule out using cadence occasionally for just cruising, and it's great to know it's there if I want it.

The bike has an overall solid quality feel to it. Components all seem decent mid level grade and are working well so far. I put a Selle Royal Respiro seat on it, as I felt the stock seat was to harsh for any sort of distance riding, as well as a Suntour SP12 suspension seatpost to help with the comfort factor, and now feel like I could ride all day.

It will be interesting to see what happens with the company in the next few years. Really hoping that the brand grows and is successful going forward.

Anyway, please share your thoughts on this model or brand, it would great to see more posts on the Smartmotion forum.
I bought the Smartmotion Pacer GT. The bike gets a lot of attention, as people think its the best looking E bike out there. I have the middrive Bafang motor with 14 amp. 36 watt battery. I dont get the mileage your bike gets. I have had the bike up to 28 mph. Been happy with the purchase. Only had the bike a few months, so hope it last with no problems. Purchased my bike from Electric Cycles in Vegas, Nevada. I will see how good their customer service is, when I have problems with the bike. I really like the belt drive. Dont think I will go back to a derailer system again.

Adam could you elaborate more on your mileage with that bike

Which assist do you use mostly and how many miles are you getting?

Hoping to test ride one of these this week
There is a dealer in scottsdale, airport cycles

There are 5 levels of assist. I use level 3 to 5 most of the time. I used level 5 and got 25 miles on a full charge. Level 4 gets me another 10 miles extra. Not very concerned about the mileage as I just use the bike around town. It pretty much replaced my car. The bike is one of the best looking E bikes out there. I test rode a lot of models. I wanted a bike that would at least go 28 mph (class 3 bike). I bought the Smartmotion on the looks of the bike. It gets a lot of attention, and has one of the best lighting systems on any bike out there. Glad to here they have a dealer in Scottsdale. Purchased mine in Nevada at Lectric Cycles.....

Thanks for the feedback, going to try and test ride one today

The throttle overrides in all pas levels correct?

Hi. I recently bought the Catalyst. Loving it so far. One thing I can’t figure out is how to switch between torque and cadence mode? It was in torque which I want but I’ve somehow switched it to cadence. Do you guys know?

Hi. I recently bought the Catalyst. Loving it so far. One thing I can’t figure out is how to switch between torque and cadence mode? It was in torque which I want but I’ve somehow switched it to cadence. Do you guys know?

You should have 3 buttons on your controller, 1 up 1 down and the small button that turns the unit on. Hold that small button for 3 seconds, should switch between torque and cadence......

I have the catylst I was wondering anyone now the code to change wheel size and speed the bike is great

Wow. This is an old thread. SM bailed on the US a couple years back. They primarily only build 36 volts versions now. The catalyst unfortunately will be a discontinued model, one of the nicer builds out there. Moving to more mid drive models and a Canadian distributor for NA will be offering them here again. I like the Pacer GT. But they'll have some other interesting models. They are all up over $2k price range but at least have higher quality components to justify the price point.

Great thanks! I knew it would be something simple.
Did you have any luck with torque /cadence on the catalyst?
Wow. This is an old thread. SM bailed on the US a couple years back. They primarily only build 36 volts versions now. The catalyst unfortunately will be a discontinued model, one of the nicer builds out there. Moving to more mid drive models and a Canadian distributor for NA will be offering them here again. I like the Pacer GT. But they'll have some other interesting models. They are all up over $2k price range but at least have higher quality components to justify the price point.
I just purchased the bike 2 weeks again and was told they will not be building a new catalyst model / I have the 48 volt model and am at the moment in discussion with one of there reps because the torque sensor does not operate and that was the reason I purchased it ,having torque and cadence sensor was what made me decide but not having the torque has pretty much upset me and have been informed that they will ‘fix the problem’ but I’m being very suspicious about that ;how are they going to ’fix the problem,,

Did you get the torque /cadence working?

Back