1st timer - Need some input (Kepler, Ripcurrent, Aventure, or local Sondors LX)

jdholmes

Region
USA
Hey there,

I’ve been given approval by the finance committee to invest in my first E-Bike. 😁
There are a LOT of options out there as I’ve been digging in to the search.
I believe I’ve narrowed it down to a few bikes in the $1800-$2000 range, and would love some input.
1st up is a local option. I have the opportunity to pickup a Sondors LX in a private party sale, the bike is very lightly used and selling for $1700.
Other options would be ordering new online. Top contenders being Kepler, Ripcurrent S, Aventure 2. Open to other suggestions in similar price range.

My riding will be mixed desert trails/road/exploring in Southern Nevada.

Thanks!

The Sondors LX weighs 89lb, the other three bikes weigh 73lb. If the seller is amenable I’d recommend taking some test rides to see how happy you are hauling the extra weight around.

You got screwed. @jdholmes I'm being Stefan and blunt.
That's not Stefan....
If you were being Stefan you would go on a four paragraph rant on your current choices are all garbage that will burn down your house and that you should only be considering something from the three major brands. Top of which should be Specialized and then go on and on about what you own, warranty, designed as an ebike and that's what we do here in Europe and we are the masters of the bike universe.
Then you'd finish up with 10 pictures of people in Europe on bikes, 6 more of yourself and a few of the Specialized lbs... your latest Strava stats with charts, maps and the details on metric and imperial century rides capped with your yearly and lifetime totals.
1649235485816.png

I have to ask, are you up for doing all of your own work on this new bike, or will you be depending on a local shop? I bring this up because many shops simply will not service bikes they didn't sell.

You should know that fat tired bikes are quite literally HUGE in size. Because of their size, they also handle like they're huge. This is not something you are going to get around, and a darn good reason for riding one before you think about buying one.

Welcome jdholmes, we've all been in your shoes. Your first ebike will be a learning curve. You'll find things you like about it and hate. Things I discovered from owning a few ebikes. This is my Want List:
Upright riding position.
Step-thru.
I like/prefer 20" wheels.
Under 4" wide tires.
I prefer a powerful hub drive.
Throttle is a must. Half twist on right side.
I actually like good mechanical disc brakes.
Easy as possible battery removal for office charging.
I can live with 20mph top speed but 28mph is a bit nicer.
So make a Want List and ride as many ebikes as possible. Even if its just to get a feel of different models you have no intention on buying. Go into it knowing what your riding uses will be and your physical condition. Commuting? Recreation? Exercise? Busy roads?

...are you up for doing all of your own work... many shops simply will not service bikes they didn't sell.
@AHicks is right. This above should be your first decision. I have locals asking me if I will repair their ebikes because the local dealers won't touch their ebike, won't even change out a flat tire. It's a real thing that you need to be OK with if you buy online, or used.

@AHicks is right. This above should be your first decision. I have locals asking me if I will repair their ebikes because the local dealers won't touch their ebike, won't even change out a flat tire. It's a real thing that you need to be OK with if you buy online, or used.
Thanks. I do all my own handyman work typically, whether it is home or auto related. I prefer to learn and do it myself rather than pay someone else.

Welcome jdholmes, we've all been in your shoes. Your first ebike will be a learning curve. You'll find things you like about it and hate. Things I discovered from owning a few ebikes. This is my Want List:
Upright riding position.
Step-thru.
I like/prefer 20" wheels.
Under 4" wide tires.
I prefer a powerful hub drive.
Throttle is a must. Half twist on right side.
I actually like good mechanical disc brakes.
Easy as possible battery removal for office charging.
I can live with 20mph top speed but 28mph is a bit nicer.
So make a Want List and ride as many ebikes as possible. Even if its just to get a feel of different models you have no intention on buying. Go into it knowing what your riding uses will be and your physical condition. Commuting? Recreation? Exercise? Busy roads?
The vast majority of bikes in this price range seem to be fat tires. I assumed this is due to the weight and being easier to control the speed.
What bikes would you recommend?
This will be for recreation and exploring mostly on desert terrain, potentially an occasional commute (I live 7 miles down one road from my office). I definitely want it to be able to go at least up to 28mph - I enjoy speed. Would prefer twist throttle but that’s not a deal breaker for me. I rode ATVs and dirt bikes so I’ve used both methods.

The Sondors LX weighs 89lb, the other three bikes weigh 73lb. If the seller is amenable I’d recommend taking some test rides to see how happy you are hauling the extra weight around.
They are very open to letting me test drive. I’ll try to get over tomorrow. Seems like they are all heavy, so I don’t know that it’d make a huge amount of difference? Reviews seem to indicate it feels light but obviously solid when riding.

Thanks. I do all my own handyman work typically, whether it is home or auto related. I prefer to learn and do it myself rather than pay someone else.
With a bicycle as it should be.
I equate paying someone to work on your bike like paying someone to change light bulbs in your home. Nothing wrong with that... but having basic skills is far more convenient.

They are very open to letting me test drive. I’ll try to get over tomorrow. Seems like they are all heavy, so I don’t know that it’d make a huge amount of difference? Reviews seem to indicate it feels light but obviously solid when riding.
I think you are pretty much spot-on in your assessment of the fat tires. There is a performance difference, but the tires on the LX can be pumped up to 18 psi of their 20 psi allowance and they will be very comfortable and very, very stable. If you are commuting on roads you will be insulated better from road imperfections (aka potholes, railroad tracks, pavement seams etc.). What you won't be is nimble, but nimbleness on a street commuter is not even remotely as important on a street or gravel road as it is on a singletrack trail. The LX is fine for dirt roads, gravel. Not rock gardens. Bear in mind it has a very large 48v battery and what is still the most powerful and dependable motor in wide use. Your controller on the Sondors will not be hopped up to stretch the motor's capability or durability. In fact you will be WELL inside of the envelope.

Here's the weak spot of the LX: The rear wheel's hub has a freewheel. It was and remains a terrible design decision, Made for reasons other than cost but thats another story.

If it were me and those bikes were my choices, I would take the star underlying platform that is the LX - that you can't get for anywhere near this price - and expect it to be likely you will want a rear wheel replacement and a different derailleur and shifter. A Microshift Advent 9 spd would be cheap and easy, with a Microshift Advent X 10s being only slightly less cheap. Both would be strong as an ox with the Advent clusters being 1-piece steel (use an Advent cluster regardless of what drivetrain you pick).

Knobby tires are NOISEY on paved surfaces at speeds over 8-10mph.......

Back