Smart applies the Velvet Sledgehammer with Awesome Commercials

calvin

Despite what Urban Dictionary has to say, the Velvet Sledgehammer technique is when something soft and fuzzy is still tough and capable. That's how I feel about these ads for the new Smart electric bike. Well done.

Notice the number of views and likes. Production and editing are first rate. Message is iconic and text like, no voice overs. And there is this background information video:

The best collection of smoothie ebike adverts I have ever seen!

Great find Calvin! I created a new Smart forum here since a few people have called out the bike. I also updated the formatting a bit. This is the kind of marketing that will definitely get people excited and open to how efficient and cool ebikes are. Well done!

Reactions: DHS
Thanks! Thats what I was talking about. Knock their socks off advertising! The first video piles up the benefits and advantages that will accrue to the potential consumer by way of text, number one, two, three and so on.

Excellent work by Smart.
When VW can run Darth Wader themed ads, Nissan and Honda can run some snazzy ads, why not ebikes?
I think companies like Giant and Trek, who can afford running ads hopefully considers this.

I agree - there are many cool adverts for the SMART electric bike.
Better than just WEB viewing why not go for a demo ride.
"Nothing compares at any price" in my experience.

Thanks for the video links Calvin The one where they were in Majorca has set my mind at ease a little. I'm (hopefully) getting two smart ebikes this year with the idea of keeping them in a holiday apartment in Tenerife that I will let out, such a great way to get about and see some of the Island. I've been worried that the limited gearing would be a problem on such mountainous terrain. Has anyone tried this bike on very steep inclines at all? Sorry if this is the wrong place to post it's my first forum post on anything ever :-S

In Vancouver where I live SMART delivers with 350 Watt motor, 3 Speed gearing and 4 selectable Power/Regen levels. Power cuts out @ 32 Km/hr. Lots of steep big hills around here. Happy to report no problem ascending most in top gear/max power @ 20-25 Km/hr while pedalling hard. Climbing to to top of Tenerife maybe a tall order :) I believe the European SMART supplies a 250 Watt motor & a lower top speed cut off. Hope this helps. Finally, no doubt the 350 watt version would be best for the hills of Tenerife.

Thanks for the video links Calvin The one where they were in Majorca has set my mind at ease a little. I'm (hopefully) getting two smart ebikes this year with the idea of keeping them in a holiday apartment in Tenerife that I will let out, such a great way to get about and see some of the Island. I've been worried that the limited gearing would be a problem on such mountainous terrain. Has anyone tried this bike on very steep inclines at all? Sorry if this is the wrong place to post it's my first forum post on anything ever :-S

You are welcome! I am in agreement with DHS. You are going to need the 350 watt version of the SMART. I just wish the European laws were less restrictive
when it comes to ebikes. I believe a 500 watt motor is what is needed by most of us. It is the sweet spot.

You are welcome! I am in agreement with DHS. You are going to need the 350 watt version of the SMART. I just wish the European laws were less restrictive
when it comes to ebikes. I believe a 500 watt motor is what is needed by most of us. It is the sweet spot.

From their website it's seems that the European version is 250W and the UK version only 200W :-( seems weird they'd make a version just for the UK maybe it's just the EU version with a lower speed cut off ? I spoke to my local dealer today and they didnt know the Wattage but said only one version was available to them.. You boys across the pond are certainly better off in that regard! Well I guess it'll still get up the mountain just not as quick!

Back