14,000 km in 12 month!

Ken S

Even though the Bionx odometer resets to 0 at 9,999.99 I tracked it since then and surpassed the 14,000 km just before Xmas, and still going.

Went through the overall at around 10K: replaced chain (should had done it earlier), but all the cogs and gears showed very little wear (wheel man said they looked like new), -advantage goes to hub motor. Rebuilt pedals last week.

As for the front brake and grit during VERY wet weather riding, -I replaced the front brake a month ago. I went with with Shimano replacing the stock Magura as the Shimano has spring retract, and side opening rather than open at top. This geometry and characteristic stops grit from getting stuck in the pad rotor area and wearing away the pads prematurely. I picked up that hint from road biker Ben Delaney who seems to ride in crazy weather as well. I though I was the only one but evidently not. Thank you Ben.

Trying out a set of the new Energizer tires from Marathon, they have been great, a litle less protection than the PLUS but lighter and not as stiff. Touching wood, I have not had a puncture for 2K km.

Testing a new rim for Bionx, -I've got just over 2K km and so far so good. The new combo is so quiet, there is absolutely no noise at all not even a humm under high torque!

Wished I had training wheels over the last week or had taken the car a few more days on the commute, -ice and 2 wheels = road rash and sore shoulder. Bike made it through better than I did. Ouch!

All in all it looks like I'm not far behind some world record(s) for mileage on ebike. See http://ebikecycletourists.com/

Looking forward to the next 14,000 km and 12 months, and don't see any issues with the my Ohm handling and excelling at it.

That is awesome! I have had my Magnum Ui5 for about 3 months and already have only about 1600 km (1000 miles), so I will never catch up to you. But I am sure I will have fun trying :D

Over 223 miles a day, that is just a wee bit over and above 'normal'. Not sure if my joints would handle it, I can guarantee that my bank account would not. Breaking a record that stood for 76 years was pretty cool.
No plans to do so on my part assist or not.

My ride is still going strong even through these dark and dreary days. Do watch out for the ice, had a couple of spills, bike made out better than I did, but still hitting another 1,000 km this month.

Over 223 miles a day, that is just a wee bit over and above 'normal'. Not sure if my joints would handle it, I can guarantee that my bank account would not. Breaking a record that stood for 76 years was pretty cool.
No plans to do so on my part assist or not.

My ride is still going strong even through these dark and dreary days. Do watch out for the ice, had a couple of spills, bike made out better than I did, but still hitting another 1,000 km this month.

17,000 km now after 15 months and the bike is still like new.

Talking to some mid motor folks at a recent bike show here in Vancouver they mentioned that typically they would have 2-3 times the maintenance on their bikes. I did get the chain replaced and bottom bracket at ~10,000, the original chain was getting a bit sloppy and the there was a bit of play in the crank, but the everything else according to the “wheel man” at a local shop and performance wise was just like new. With the power not going through any of the drive train the ware and tear are much less on the Bionx hub motor systems, a distinct advantage of the hub motor system over the mid motor.

Spring’s on it way so enjoying the ride more than ever!

17,000 km now after 15 months and the bike is still like new.

Talking to some mid motor folks at a recent bike show here in Vancouver they mentioned that typically they would have 2-3 times the maintenance on their bikes. I did get the chain replaced and bottom bracket at ~10,000, the original chain was getting a bit sloppy and the there was a bit of play in the crank, but the everything else according to the “wheel man” at a local shop and performance wise was just like new. With the power not going through any of the drive train the ware and tear are much less on the Bionx hub motor systems, a distinct advantage of the hub motor system over the mid motor.

Spring’s on it way so enjoying the ride more than ever!

That's awesome, Ken.
You should submit your story to Michael at OHM and feature it on their website.
10,500 miles of E-bike commuting is a true test of durability. Kudos to BionX and OHM. Keep racking those miles.... :)

I have over 9,000 on my old style August 2014 Ohm with the custom mounted battery. I'm impressed with how the Bionx system has held up through two Chicago winters with all the exposure to snow, salty slush, & subzero temps. Through that time I've had to replace the freewheel, chain, pedals, & bottom bracket. The weakest part is the freewheel since it doesn't seem to be sealed as well as a cassette (rode one to point of it seizing the chain & gouging the chainstay) & now difficult to find a reasonably priced replacement.

Back