Recent content by speedub.nate

  1. speedub.nate

    New High Torque IGH announced by 3x3

    A pair of fat zip ties is what I used on the former cargo bike. I thought it would be temporary but they went the distance – about 8 years. The difference here is that on the Xtracycle, the torque arm was primarily being driven into the frame – in the low gears, the force pushes the torque arm...
  2. speedub.nate

    New High Torque IGH announced by 3x3

    Following up on my past couple of posts in this thread (January and March -- I'm working slowly), I've finally gotten around to assembling a crack squad of componentry to bring this 3x3 Nine cargo bike to life. I'll save all that noise for its own thread, once my build is complete, though...
  3. speedub.nate

    Conversion kit for a Stand-up bike 🤩

    Right! 100% human powered, but electrification would certainly be interesting. And you know, with a front wheel motor, it could be somewhat trivial to switch between analog and assisted outings. 🤔
  4. speedub.nate

    Cargo Bike Overhaul: Tern GSD gets a new heart and fancy bits!

    Showing some Sweetskinz tires some love! Nice, are those the reflective ones?
  5. speedub.nate

    Conversion kit for a Stand-up bike 🤩

    Oh wow there's some creative thinking. I have a traditional style Elliptigo with an 11 speed Alfine hub, which makes it tolerable for climbing reasonably sloped hills, but still kind of sketchy on steep grades. I can see this motor helping in those situations, or for somebody who wants to...
  6. speedub.nate

    My Stoopidest Acquisition Yet: THE RIDE Radiant Carbon / Enviolo Automatiq

    Yeah I hear you and agree with your observations re: the instantaneousness of the other gear hubs, but with a couple of other bikes with Nuvinci / Enviolo hubs in the garage using traditional twist shifters, I'm more talking about the lag time in which the system begins to make the change. I...
  7. speedub.nate

    My Stoopidest Acquisition Yet: THE RIDE Radiant Carbon / Enviolo Automatiq

    I should begin a new Enviolo Automatiq-specific thread for this, but there is no Enviolo / Nuvinci sub-forum, so I'll keep it here. I received & installed the Cliq Pro controller, and got the bike out for a ride around Lake Merritt and then up into the Oakland / Piedmont foothills. It behaves...
  8. speedub.nate

    Brake Bleed Blues

    Hmmm, not familiar with round pads for Avids, mine have always have the rectangular pads. The original Avid BBDBs had the pistons with magnets for pad retention and the magnets on mine rusted out. They later dropped the magnets and began providing pads with spring clips for retraction /...
  9. speedub.nate

    Brake Bleed Blues

    I don't know if they fit the accolade "really good," but I've been true to Avid's BBDB / BB7s since inception, run'em on the tandem and on the bike-towing cargo bike, and on the mountain bikes. I hear these Paul Klampers fall into the "really good" category so figured they're worth trying for a...
  10. speedub.nate

    Brake Bleed Blues

    I just sold my analog cargo bike but before doing so stripped off the Avid Mechanicals and installed new Magura hydros. Good riddance. The electrified cargo I'm building now was the donor of those Maguras, and I'm treating it to a set of Paul mechanicals. I don't "hate" hate hydros, but I...
  11. speedub.nate

    My Stoopidest Acquisition Yet: THE RIDE Radiant Carbon / Enviolo Automatiq

    After you purchased the Tomberlin @Nesdon , another one was listed the next day. I don't know how these bikes with so few miles can be so scuffed up, but these carbon frames have delicate finishes. This one is also listed with an EP8 motor (I'm pretty sure it's an E6100 based on Tomberlin's...
  12. speedub.nate

    My Stoopidest Acquisition Yet: THE RIDE Radiant Carbon / Enviolo Automatiq

    Ah, yeah, I dodn't know how long ago you left Alameda, but two years ago a free cross-estuary service was started between Alameda Landing and Jack London Square, a three minute trip on a 30-capacity yellow pontoon boat called Woodstock. It can carry a dozen bikes. The nice thing about you...
  13. speedub.nate

    My Stoopidest Acquisition Yet: THE RIDE Radiant Carbon / Enviolo Automatiq

    It is. But the Android app doesn't work (known bug according to my Enviolo contact) and the iPhone version works, but it's terribly inconvenient for any on-the-fly adjustments. I'll give you an example: I got off the ferry into a pedestrian plaza, the sort of environment where you might...
  14. speedub.nate

    My Stoopidest Acquisition Yet: THE RIDE Radiant Carbon / Enviolo Automatiq

    On the front tire, absolutely. And I've already played with the rear since I had to put the bike together when it was shipped to me, and it's a more conventional slip-in, bolt-on type of arrangement, very easy to work on and no fussing with having to adjust tension on the belt. I took mine for...
  15. speedub.nate

    My Stoopidest Acquisition Yet: THE RIDE Radiant Carbon / Enviolo Automatiq

    Yep, this is not exactly the most practical bike. From a purely functional standpoint, pick the Priority or lots of other options out there. Lol! Yay! Congrats! The only real proprietary part may be the front hub, but I'll bet there's a source for knock-off Lefties that confirm to some sort...
Back